Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

BackItUp 2018 not backing up Frontpage directories

I find to my dismay that BackItUp 2018 hasn't been backing up my FrontPage directories. The previous version did back them up.

H E L P !! i still have several websites that I update with FrontPage.

Microsoft FrontPage (full name Microsoft Office FrontPage) was a WYSIWYG HTML editor and website administration tool from Microsoft for the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems. It was branded as part of the Microsoft Office suite from 1997 to 2003.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • What was your previous version?

The ability to backup operating system files was disabled back with BackItUp 2014, I believe. If those files are in the C:\Users folders, that might explain it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• Thanks, Wither1.  Files are in the user directory.  Previous BackItUp version was 12.5 that I purchased in July 2013.  It's a stretch to call these "operating system files." They are in a local copy of a FrontPage website.  I still use BIU 12.5 to back up my Microsoft Outlook .PST files since the current version doesn't permit keeping "n" generations of a set of files.  
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• I use BackItUp 12 because I use an "Update" type backup and I can back up any files.

You might try moving those files out of C:\Users onto another partition or just In the C: root, just to check if it will back them up.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I need to investigate this further. BackItUp 2018 is backing up some of my Frontpage websites. All of them are in C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Webs directory. May have something to do with the way Windows associates a directory with a webpage. Grasping at straws right now.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Best I can tell you is-

If you notice when you start to create the backup and go to the C:\ drive, the Users folder has a rectangle in front of it that is greyed out. That means you can't back up anything from that folder. However, if you want to try, click on that to get a checkmark and then go to the Webs directory folder and select it. Then manually backup your files to another partition. It shouldn't work. I was able to do that for Documents, but not AppData, in v2014 but in subsequent versions the files wouldn't be backed up.
    • Wither 1,

In the not too distant past, another user said that if there were a little less "volunteering" in this forum Nero may participate more as it says they supposedly do:

I think it may have been Lucky Phil?

In any case, you announced your retirement and that appeared to be happening. Now, you have apparently come out of retirement. You are still using that ridiculous "Nero" avatar; you are still not making it clear that you do not represent Nero; you are still not referring users eligible for official Tech Support to Nero; and, finally, you are once again demonstrating almost daily that you believe in the old adage, "Misinformation is better than no information at all!"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I need to do more testing. I changed a FrontPage website yesterday and BIU 2018 did exactly what it is supposed to do. I also saved a web page in Chrome and BIU backed up the HTM file and associated files directory. So ... yesterday no problem. Did Nero somehow sneak a fix into my software? I know it's a stretch but can't explain why things are working now. I'll experiment with other FrontPage websites. Thanks !!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m VERY VERY UPSET
    Well, I did a lot more testing. I asked Nero BIU 2018 to incrementally backup files in C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Webs\. In the file selection BIU only shows three (copies of) websites that do not have the "web folder" symbol in Windows Explorer but it backs up (some) files in the other folders. IDrive backup backed up 305 files in one of my Frontpage websites but Nero only backed up 66 !! THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. I really don't want to lose my websites so I back them up with both Nero BIU and IDrive. There may be others who think their files are being backed up but they are not being backed up. Nero may have some liability if they know about this problem yet say/do nothing. IS ANYONE FROM NERO LISTENING ??

Frontpage websites in Webs Directory
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• As I said, it's really not supposed to back up any files in the Users directory. It's been like that since v2014.

If you want to pursue it with Nero, download the Nero KnowHow Plus and submit your problem-

https://www.nero.com/enu/support/?cur...&

Let us know what they have to say.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    You are saying that BIU will not backup files in the Users directory ??? Really ??? Most all users put all their data/user files in the Users directory. Am I missing something here? Just to clarify: I backup files/directories in C:\Users\Ray\Documents\ The Frontpage directories that are not getting backed up properly are in C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Webs\

I'll try Nero KnowHow Plus but I haven't had any success getting help from Nero in the past.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks, Omega Tester. I thought Wither 1 worked for Nero and I was losing my mind.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm