Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Cannot import videos on Nero video 2015

My bought Nero platinum 2015. I could not import videos (mp4/wmv) in nero vision. I thought it was my desktop running on Win7. Then i install trial version on my laptop running on win8. Same problem! The thumbnail just show blank cross out box....please help...
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi Teck-

The duration of your video is shown as "0". Does that file play correctly in Nero MediaHome? Is it possible it's copy protected?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Yes, th video can be played in Nero Mediahome. In fact, when i press “edit” from the screen shot above, i can see the video and add it to the timeline and watch the in the video editing screen. But when i press “continue”the page returns and the video still does not show in.the thumbnail.

The video files i tried are some sample videos that comes in my computer and some i downloaded from yutube. Both wmv and mp4 cannot show in the thumbnail.

Hope there is a solution. I am a basic user and does not know much of video proprerties. I have used a previous version many years ago with no problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I'm getting a sense of de ja vu since I think we've seen this problem before. It may not have been in v2015.

Do you have Windows Media Player installed? What about the QuickTime Player?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Yes, I have Windows Media Player installed. I think this comes with all windows PC?

For quicktime player, i have it on my laptop but not my desktop.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I was thinking that possibly your mpeg-4 was a .mov type video. The QuickTime Player has the .mov codec which is used by Nero. It's not supposed to be required but sometimes it helps.

I guess you have activated the patents for your Nero version. That's required for mpeg-4. None are required for .wmv.

I have to get out of here. We can talk about it tomorrow.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I'm baffled by the fact that the files show as zero duration (which is, apparently the reason they aren't displayed in the viewing window) but they appear and play when you select Edit.

I thought about asking you to uninstall/reinstall but, for some reason, you're getting the same problem on two different systems.

Can you upload one of your problem files to a website such as filedropper.com and provide the link to the file? If you have a Nero Backitup account, you could upload it to pogoplug via nerobackitup.com.

You can send an e-mail to techsupport@nero.com at any time. .
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Teck Guan Ng,

Another idea would be to try exporting the file from the Video Edit screen (after clicking on "Edit"). Then, try using the exported files for your project.

Also, while on the Video Edit screen, double-click the video, click the Metadata tab on the resulting dialog, and post a screenshot of the resulting data. Or, simply post the indicated duration.

Another thing to try would be to click Edit while your video is not selected on the Content screen. That will get you to the Video Edit screen where you can drag the Flower Meadow video to the timeline and click Next. There will now be a second title that should have ~18 second duration. (The Flower Meadow sample video is a .wmv file).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am posting all the screenshots here. Sequence as below.
    Test 1 - Import wildlife.wmv (sample video in PC). The screen shows 0 duration
    Test 2 - Edit video
    Test 3 - Shows edit video screen with both "flower" and "wildlife".wmv files
    Test 4 - Double click on the wildlife.wmv video. The video can play normally
    Test 5 - Press metadata which shows properties of video
    Test 6 - Manage to drag video onto the timeline and play video no problem
    Test 7 - Press "Next" to return to the video thumbnail screen. The video disappears. Cannot even see the blank thumbnail....

So...can anyone help??

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Can I ask a silly question?

I've never seen the "Make" button (just below the Import button) on the DVD - DVD Video content screen ...

How does that button become available in that screen?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hmm, it was all along there for me ever since i installed the software :)
    • view 2 more comments
    • One more little test, please. Start Nero Video; select DVD | DVD-Video; at the Content screen, choose Make, etc.; at the Video Edit screen, drag the Flower Meadow video to the timeline and click Next. Does the Flower Meadow video display correctly on the Content screen?
    • Hi Omega, i have tried what u suggest and drag the Flower Meadow video to the timeline on the video edit screen. But...it still does not show when i press Next....not even the a blank thumbnail...:(
      So what does this mean?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I would still like to get a hold of one of his videos.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Teck Guan Ng,

Here are screenshots of the Content screen of Nero 12, 2014, and 2015 Video:

I have no idea why your Contnet screen has a Make button. Have you had other Nero versions installed prior to Nero 2015?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• yes, i have previous version installed before. But i cant remember which one. This is the one is see on my home desktop.

Tomorrow i shall check trial version 2015 on my laptop, that is actually my office laptop, which i have only installed trial version to test whether the same problem occurs.

But anyway, is this anyway related to the problem i am facing now?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Teck Guan Ng,

First, your Nero Video is out-of-date. Here is the current version:

The "Make" button was removed in an update to Nero Video in January: "For ease of use in authoring 'Make' & 'Edit' button were merged to one "

Perhaps the next step would be to go to ControlCenter | Update | Check for Updates and install the current version.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Now, this is the trial version of Nero Video i downloaded on my office laptop just to test whether the video content is having the same problem i am facing with my Nero Video which i have bought and installed on my home desktop.

True enough, i do not see the "make" button in Nero Video on my laptop as this is the 1st time i installed nero on my laptop and i downloaded only 3 days ago.

Then I run through the entire process again. Same old story as what happened on my desktop. Show "0" duration on video content page. But can play in edit video page. Metadata shows the properties of the video. Flower meadow video can be dragged and play on the timeline. But when i press the "next" button, I could not see the video thumbnail on the video content page.

So there you go, same problem for nero video 2015 (paid version on my desktop and trial version on my laptop) running on two different systems (desktop win7 and laptop win8)...

Is it just me having this problem??

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Teck Guan Ng,

You may want to write to techsupport@nero.com about this issue. But, first, in order to simplify that report and make it clear that your imported video is not causing a problem, please perform the following steps:

Start Nero Video and choose DVD | DVD-Video. At the Content screen, click "Edit" and then OK for the Movie Options. Drag the Flower Meadow to the timeline and click Next. If that results in a blank Content screen, please post that fact.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Teck Guan Ng,

Please post screenshots of your Recording Format Options:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Teck,
    I tried using your file in my copy of Nero 2015 ..

Works OK (30 seconds duration.)

So, the file itself seems fine.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• So what could be the problem? I am thinking it could be some settings on both my systems. But I really have no idea what is it.

But anyway, thank you guys for your time and advice so far. I will let you know if the problem is solved, hopefully.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Teck Guan Ng,

I've noticed that one of your systems has an out-of -date Nero Video, version 16.0.4000 and the other has version 16.0.16000.

The "up-to-date" version that I have is 16.0.14000. The Release Notes for the January "update" include:

"Nero Video

For ease of use in authoring 'Make' & 'Edit' button were merged to one
    Fixed issue that hardware acceleration did not work on some laptops
    Fixed issue that some fonts cannot be supported
    Fixed issue that some MP4 and MPG files cannot be opened
    Fixed issue that export to WMV or FLV fails after upgrading
    "

So, there were problems with importing some MP4 files and some issues exporting .WMV files. Perhaps, you have discovered other aspects of those problems in version 16.0.4000 that were fixed or "covered up" by the update to 16.0.14000. Then, apparently changes have been made and released as the trial version 16.0.16000, but not issued as an update. In other words, the "trial" is being used for a beta test? Perhaps, these changes have undone the "fixes" from January. I know things like this have happened with the Blu-ray Player and Nero KwikMedia (now Nero MediaHome).

So, it may be that your version 16.0.4000 will work if you install the updates that make it version 16.0.14000.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m thankful
    Dear Omega Tester, finally I found where the problem lies. I have forgotten to set my video recording format. As can be seen in the screen shot, my video mode is blank. After i set it to PAL (Singapore) my video is able to be imported normally.

Thank you everyone and i appreciate all your time and attention taken to help me solve my problem :)

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm