Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Cannot install Nero 2018 Platinum. Keeps saying "Installation interrupted"

I have removed all previous versions of Nero. I have disabled my anti-virus. I have removed all entries from the registry pertaining to Nero. I have used the Nero First aid kit to remove all Nero products from my computer. During install, it says it needs to install a "nero validator" the screen flashes and I see something start to install and then it goes on, happens way to fast. It then proceeds to try to install but always fails. I have been using Nero for ages and cannot understand why I am having this problem. I am running Windows 10 pro, 64bit, 12Gb of RAM, all latest MS updates are installed. I have NEVER had an issue installing Nero before. When I purchased the Nero today, they gave me a download link:
This is a screenshot of the error I am getting:

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
2 people have
this question
+1
  • hello John-

Please go to nero.com, downloads and download the latest installation file. Right click on it and select "Run as administrator."

Does that help?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Already tried that. Part way into the install, it says: "AdvrCntr6.dll cannot be found" Why isn't this file included in the installation file??? I have NEVER had trouble like this installing a Nero product and I have purchased at least 12 different ones thru the years. This error is everywhere on the Internet about people having this same type of problem, but NO SOLUTION!!!

Why don't you send me the link of the latest Nero 2018 Platinum install file?

I downloaded: Nero2018-ESD_small-20171123081733772-19.0.08300.nsx.exe

Is not the above file the latest one???

Thanks for any help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Note that I'm not a Nero employee.

I don't know if that's the latest one. I know that the one at the website makes all the updates (1) available.

I'm surprised you're getting the .dll error. Usually, that goes away when one has had previous versions installed and runs the First Aid Kit. Maybe you should run it again since you tried a new installation.

I suggest that you go here-

http://www.nero.com/enu/support/conta...

and submit the contact form.

Please let me know the solution.

By the way, unless the store won't allow it, you should return Burn Express.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am so sorry. I did submit to Nero support. My fault, I thought you were them. Ha Ha. Very frustrating to say the least. Never had this much trouble with a simple install. That missing file: AdvCntr6.dll makes the WHOLE install fail. That error comes up when approx. 18% of the install is completed. I will send you the failure screen I get. Thanks so much for trying to help me. I have 35+ years in computers so this is not my first rodeo. Thanks again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That file is supposed to be here-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\AdvrCntr6

Are you able to get to that path manually in Windows (File) Explorer?
    Is there only one Nero folder?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Sorry for the delay. Long day. I had totally removed Nero 2015 and Nero 2016. Removed all entries in the registry. Removed all Nero folders. Also ran the First Aid to remove all entries having to do with Nero. I did create a restore point before all of this so I was able to get back if the 2018 install failed or didn't work correctly. Everything has failed at this point.

I tried to re-install Nero 2016 and even it failed. I tried to install Nero 2015 and it failed. Thank goodness I created that restore point. I restored my computer so now YES I do have only 1 Nero folder under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\AdvrCntr6. Nero 2015 and 2016 are back on my computer and they run correctly.

After the restore I tried to install the software from the latest download file from nero.com:

It started out good and got to about 25% and an error came up that said there was another installation and for me to stop that other installation or it could not continue. There was NO other installation going on. It seems to me that there has to be some MS update that Nero 2018 just doesn't like and it is interfering with the install. BTW, I did turn off my anti-virus while trying to install.

Thank you for any help you can provide. You are so kind.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Are you saying there were two Nero folders at one point? I asked about it because when this problem first started up a few years ago, that was one of the problems. I believe that removing one of them solved the issue. However, the same error has occurred even when there was only one folder. Running the First Aid Kit when previous versions that used that .dll were installed, seemed to fix it. To my knowledge, there's no one fix that fits all. That's why it's best to work with tech support on it.

Have you heard from tech support yet?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• No word from Tech Support. Why is Windows 10 such a problem? I so much appreciate you trying to help me. Nero 2016 works well but for $37.95 I thought I would upgrade to 2018. Oh well, sure hope they refund my money if we cannot solve this.

Thanks again and do let me know if you come across something else that might solve this.

John

Never 2 Nero folders on the system.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have the same problem. I restored AdvCntr6.dll from the drive image after I found this thread, Now, the missing adv... file error no longer appears but the "Install Shield wizard failed" error shows at a slighly later position of installation. I tried everything mentioned in this thread and it still fails.

In the log file I see: Manufacturer: Nero AG. Installation success or error status: 1603. I checked for this error and I found: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/h... .
    I tried moving the setup files to another drive location (on E:) but it did not help either (this works for some SW if there is an directory ownership issue).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Melih,

Installation Issues

with installation issues can be obtained directly from Nero by using the email contact form at Technical Support via e-mail. This requires a valid product serial number which has the form XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (8 groups of 4 characters/digits separated by dashes. Note: The serial number will not have the letter 'O'. Since this is a public forum, DO NOT post your serial number. If your serial number is not accepted, use the contact form at Nero Customer Service.
    Or, choose Tech Support or Customer Service
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hi everyone

I wonder if I am going to have the same problem as everyone else. I am trying to figure out platinum 2018 myself. Keep messing with it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1 Just wanted you to know that I decided to reinstall Windows 10 Pro and then was able to install Nero 2018. Kinda ridiculous to have to resort to that but I got NO help from Nero support. They finally answered me after 4 days. They didn't read a thing I sent to them. Gave me some scripted 3 step sequence to go thru [which I told them I had already done].

I would like to thank you so much for trying to help me. It was much appreciated. Needless to say, this will be the last version of Nero I will be purchasing. Thank you again.

John
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You're welcome.

You should have let them respond to your reply. I think they could have resolved it.

These kinds of things are system specific. Since reinstalling Win 10 resolved the problem, it's hard to tell where the problem was. I wouldn't let it keep you from buying Nero again.

Enjoy!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I have written to Nero support on March 2, and I am still waiting for a response from them. Although reinstalling the OS solved your problem, this is a quite radical approach and takes too much time and effort. Not something you want to do everytime a vendor bug comes up. You probably reconfigured your PC as before and you still have the same OS and hardware, and this means there is probably a simple but hard to point problem that the support should be able to figure out. I am managing 6 Win10 PCs, and after about 3-4 months of upgrading to release 1603, I had access rights and directory ownership issues on all of them on various non-OS software update occasions. The problem is probably due to Microsoft. I will post the result when the Nero support hopefully solves this issue.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero support finally replied, but I had already done their suggestions. They also recommended creating a new admin account and reinstalling, but that did not solve it either. I am now on a 2nd round with the support now. I will post any new findings.

My previous Nero version was 2015 and I cannot completely remove them. Maybe that is the problem. I manually cleaned all program and user files and registry keys, but still they are on the Apps& Features list. Is this an issue shared by anyone with this Nero2018 install problem?
    • view 7 more comments
    • sorry. I did not get notification of your response. I have been getting the Advrchtr6.dll missing message on each install and have tried numerous things with no success.
    • Please try what I suggested and respond there-

http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero support replied and suggested nero first aid (this cleaned up older entries), then clean boot and disabled antivirus (mine is Norton Security); I proceeded with install. I still get the same error. I wrote this to support and I am waiting for their reply again.
    • view 12 more comments
    • I tried what you wrote but no change, same error. I do not think Norton is a problem. I disable it before I run the nero 2018 installation.
    • Nero support replied. They gave me a link to download Nero_Platinum2018-19.0.10200.exe and wanted me to try this installer. I did it and repeated for clean boot and clean admin account also, NS disabled every time. I got exactly the same error. Waiting for the next support round. I am lucky that this is not an urgent matter.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you go here-

C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Local\Temp

is there a Nero Installation Files folder?

Given the length of this thread, I didn't go back through the whole thing but did they ask for the Nero installation log file (which would be in that same folder)?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1,

I mentioned above that Nero Tech Support can be utilized to help with installation problems. Your response: "Since you have no interest in this thread or other similar threads and you have nothing to add, you should quit interjecting.

So, now that Nero Tech Support is making an effort, it is you doing the interjecting!

You refer to Nero Tech Support as "the experts" frequently. While some may argue that point, they are employed by Nero and should have access to "experts" if necessary. You, on the other hand, have absolutely no expertise in this area that I have been able to discern over the past several years. So, I would ask that you cease interfering with topics concerning failed installations and refer these issues to Nero. Perhaps, then, when this nonsense starts costing them time (i.e. money) and whatever is left of their reputation, they will get their installation programs debugged.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• He's not being very successful with tech support so I'm throwing out some ideas. No harm done and it doesn't interfere with tech support efforts which are still ongoing. I've fixed things for people previously in this type of situation.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am back!
    Nero support returned with: "In the support files you sent us I saw that ShellExperienceHost.exe is not working properly. This is a Microsoft issue and I would like to advise to address that to Microsoft."

I contacted MS support. They could not identify any problems regarding ShellExperienceHost.exe using remote support. They did not understand how they came up with this "ShellExperienceHost.exe is not working properly" idea. They said they cannot do anything more because they don't see the problem. If I cannot resolve the problem, they told me to do a clean install. So back to square 1!

I wrote to nero support again for another round.
    • view 8 more comments
    • I agree. I was just passing on some things I found because other people have experienced some odd happenings as a result of a situation similar to yours. There are other blogs which talk about this but I don't have time to look at every one of them.

I'm glad you found the solution to the problem. Perhaps, you would pass that onto tech support, if you haven't already.

Enjoy!
    • I agree. In this case, the real issue is not the "space", but rather the temp variable and its location. For user convenience, windows sets it based on user name during OS setup. Then you have a space in the directory path which causes the problem. I still have the space in the user name, but the issue is gone after setting the temp to C:\Temp.

I have a similar problem in an Asus N752VX notebook (this PC does not have a space in the user name). All graphics drivers, and most software updates fail in the windows designated temp location. If you set the temp elsewhere in a user name non related location, all of them update succesfully. I also notice that windows changes the directory access rights to its user name related temp directory.

Thanks to Wither for the link regarding the user names.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm