Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Can't use a Nero Video 2018 project file in Nero Video 2016

I use a separate machine to render files and have 2 versions of Nero Video.
Now when I try to use a project file from 2018 it won't open in 2016.

Is there NO compatibility between the versions? And no way to save it as a compatible format like other software companies do?

This should be made clear when encouraging (spamming) customers to do an upgrade.

Thanks for wasting my time. I have to recreate the project in the earlier version.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Err when you make a project Nero remembers the file locations for the source material but if you then transfer that to another machine all that data is lost simply copy-pasting the project file is not enough that only contains the data for the edit points transitions etc etc....so to get it to open in 2016 you would have to mirror the locations on your hard drive where the original is made. I don't know of any editing software that would allow you to transfer that info it's always exclusive to the original computer you are working on. You should always just stick to the source computer when making projects anyway there are so many variables to consider in most cases you will end up with a corrupted file if you try to transfer and the reason it won't open in 2016 is because it doesn't know where the source material is. That is all done when you first load in the project. I guess the other PC is faster that is why you want to use it for rendering while you could try background rendering on this renders the project as you go so when you go to the final render it takes less time anyway. Thank You
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I've been rendering on a different machine for two years and I am aware that sometimes the machine doesn't assign the same drive letters so I just select the required file from the new location. That isn't the issue. The problem is that when I open the file in Nero Video 2016 originally created in Nero Video 2018 it tells me that it cannot be opened as it was created in a newer version and I need to upgrade in order to use it. This means I need to buy an additional license as I bought a new version of 2018 for a newer computer.

In other words there is no compatibility between versions and Nero expect me to spend more money.

And the reason I bought the new version? Because there is a long standing bug with rendering text and it would not export to an MP4 file. In other words, a bug which was reported by lots of users was not addressed or resolved, leaving users having to upgrade to work round it.
    • view 7 more comments
    • That previous rendering problem was well documented and never addressed by Nero. When I removed a simple text effect the problem didn't occur. Kind of defeated the object as I needed the text. For a simple static text effect to cause that problem was astounding. Obviously not much beta testing at Nero.

As for the current issue. It is a blatant ploy for Nero TO FORCE USERS TO UPGRADE. The worse insult after I had to recreate the project in order to render it was a large Nero pop-up encouraging me to fork out for another (upgraded) licence on the other machine.

I was sold the product under false pretenses. There was no mention of issues with compatibility. However, they are not the first company to do it. I won't be buying any more products. Being cheated by a company that can't even beta test a basic effect and refuses to address a fundamental bug is an absolute disgrace.
    • I still don't understand the specific problem in regards to adding text effects.

You can get a "no questions asked" refund within 30 days of purchase.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• This issue wasn't within 30 days of purchase. I used a standard text effect, maybe for the first time, and it would not export to mp4. I remember going to the forums and other people had reported it but Nero did not address the issue at the time. This was earlier this year. Up to then Nero 2016 was fit for purpose and I had been using it for almost 2 years.

What pisses me off is that they do not make clear that projects created in 2018 won't open in the 2016 version. It cannot be resolved. There is no way round it apart from extracting more money from the user, which I am not prepared to do just for rendering. I do not like using my HP Laptop for rendering as I have a powerful tower PC for that.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm