Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

dvd chapter title alignment in chapter menu. Nero 2017 Video VER. 18.0.50000

My issue is with the Chapter menu page. I have created and placed the chapter titles where I want them to be on the chapter menu page. However, when scrolling through the chapters it doesn't follow the title numbers. It just wants to scroll top to bottom, not caring about the title number or sequence, therefore it skips about half of the titles. 
So all of the titles on the chapter menu page have to be placed on top of each other like a list.
Is there a fix for this stupidity?

1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi Scott-

Chapter buttons are automatically named Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc., so I don't know how you're creating and placing their titles. Those have to be connected to a button.

Would you provide a screen shot of what you have?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Yes, all chapters are associated with a number. But, after the menu has been created, it does not follow the numbers in order. It will scroll through the list top to bottom no matter what number they are or where they are placed on the chapter menu page.
    A screen shot would not be able to show it, I would need to recorder a video of the process.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Are you changing the position of the buttons on the chapter menu page? Is each button linked to the appropriate video segment?

I don't know what you mean by "it will scroll through the list." The menus don't scroll to my knowledge. Which template are you using.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• First of all, Thank You very much for helping me with this.

Now here's the long description...

I am making a DVD of a musical group's performance. I am making a chapter for each song. So my DVD consists of a main menu that has a link for "Play All" and another link for "Songs". "Play All" will start and play the entire performance. The "Songs" link opens a new menu (Chapter Menu) for the viewer to select whatever song they want to play. When creating this menu, the placement of the chapter title links, which is the title of the song, depends on the wallpaper/picture that was used for the backdrop. It all has to blend together yet stand out, so at times the "Chapters" might need to be scattered around the page so they are visible without contrast.

And here's the problem...
    When the viewer is on the "Songs/Chapter Menu" page using the up/down buttons on the DVD players remote control to select the desired chapter, some of the chapters are skipped because they are not in a straight down list (On top of one another).
    Meaning... If the amount of chapters is split between the left side of the page and the right side of the page (Let's say 10 total, 5 on the left and 5 on the right) it will only highlight the chapters on the left side of the page (when using the cursor buttons to scroll through the list).
    When using just the up and down arrows to select a chapter it should follow the chapter numbers assigned to the chapters in sequence. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... and in reverse 10, 9, 8, 7, etc..regardless of where it is on the page. Instead it will just go down on the left side skipping all of the chapters on the right side of the page regardless of the numbering sequence.

I hope that makes it clearer.

(The viewer can use the left/right buttons to move sideways to the opposite side of the screen, but shouldn't have to)

2 more things...

1) The size of the window that the song title is in will cause the cursor to skip chapters if they are different lengths. Again, if it just followed the number sequence there would be no issue with this.

2) Instead of an arrow or a dot to select the chapter, how about being able to just highlight the chapter title when choosing a chapter?.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thanks for the clarification.

I can reproduce what you're talking about and I can't find a setting to change it.

However, I find if I position buttons such that one on the right is slightly under the top one, the buttons are selected in the correct order. I don't have time to play with that right now.

You could also send an e-mail to feedback@nero.com to see if tech support has a solution.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• I am using "Advanced Customize", no template.

Here is screenshot of the Chapter menu. The red box around the first chapter is what I am referring to. It seems that if any of those are smaller than the first one they get skipped.

And, yes to #2. Most DVD's that I buy don't have "bullet points" or arrows next to the chapter. The title of the chapter gets highlighted when I select it. Sometimes it will change color and enlarge a little.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• In your post you said...
    "I find if I position buttons such that one on the right is slightly under the top one, the buttons are selected in the correct order."

Here is a screen shot showing how I have them lined up on "Chapter Menu 2"

It still ignores the the titles on the right side.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You're using the My Day template.

I didn't spend a lot of time on it but I can't reproduce the problem with the length of the title causing skipping of buttons.

I also can't get the sideways arrows next to your button titles by default. Are you adding those?

As said before, I can reproduce the left column and right column disconnect and have no solution. If I rearrange the buttons similar to below (different template but I also used the My Day template (v2017 is on my other system), I can change the disconnect but it's very erratic. How the selections go depends on which column I start out in and whether I use the up or down button (In the preview screen) to move around.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thank you and sorry for the delayed reply.

You said...
    "You're using the My Day template."

I am not using a template. I am using "Customize" and "Advanced". Which is basically a blank canvas. I add all of the graphics and chapter buttons, etc...

Then..
    "I also can't get the sideways arrows next to your button titles by default. Are you adding those?"

Yes, I am adding those. On the customize/advanced menu under "Navigation".

So it sounds like these issues are not an issue with the developers at all, or even other users of this program.

It probably won't be addressed since I believe that it is how the program was written and they can't fix what isn't even part of the program.

Hopefully they will be added/fixed next version.

Thanks again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• My Day is a template and it's shown in your screenshot.

You can ask tech support about it but, by selecting an arrow to get from one column to another doesn't seem like a big deal but I can't argue with your desire to make it work differently.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly