Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Expediting Changing Thumbnails with Nero Video 2017?

So I have 50 video files. The default thumbnails are all boringly the same. I am changing them manually but each time after I change it, Nero takes up to a minute to be done. This makes things awfully slow. Is there any way to speed this up? I'm fairly technical so I'm open to all suggestions.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Are you importing them into Nero Video and the thumbnails are the same for all of them? The thumbnail for each video should be from the first frame. What are you selecting when you open Nero Video? Would you provide a screen shot of what you're talking about?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Yes, the default thumbnail is the first frame which is often not too useful since it's mostly the same for all of the chapters (episodes from a TV show). Changing them is slow as it looks like Nero is reprocessing something every time I change one.

It does skip all the black frames which is nice as far as it goes.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I don't know where you're changing them but, I would do this in the menu editing screen. There, I selected a chapter menu and clicked on Customize. Then, I selected a button. In Display, I selected Picture File. It opened in a folder where I have many pictures. I selected/opened a picture and the change was instant. Might take you 15 minutes for 50, maybe longer if your pictures are in different folders.

Does that help?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I do need to try it on a different computer to see if that can speed things up. This one is not a slouch by any means though. It's crazy that I have to wait between doing this. Let me just check... 43 seconds from selecting a different picture to Nero becoming responsive again. That's pretty bad. This is for a 20-video blu ray.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Are your pictures on the same drive as Nero?

As I said, when I selected/opened a picture, the replacement was made instantly. Note that I did this in v2015 on a 11 year old computer with Vista, a 266 MHz core and a 560 TI graphics card. It shouldn't be any different in v2017. I can try it later in v2017 on my Win 7 system.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just tried it in v2017 on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system and the picture was replaced instantly.

However, I was doing these tests using a single video and DVD-Video. I re-read and saw that you are using 20 videos in a blu-ray project.

I started a new blu-ray project and added the same video a few at a time. The more videos I added, the longer it took to change the menu picture. When I got to 13 videos, it took almost 25 seconds. So, it looks like we're back to square one in regards to how to speed it up.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes. I am currently working on a blu-ray with two videos and it seems much more reasonable. It may go as n^2 or something like that. Not really great design but it is what it is, I suppose. I wonder if performance would improve if I concatenated the videos and then defined the chapters manually (I'm guessing that's a thing?).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you do that, then you'll only have one title so changing the picture in the main menu would be quick. However, you would still want to change them in the chapters menu. I imported 8 videos and then joined them. I added a chapter marker for each video. I then tried changing the 8th button in the chapter menu. It only took about two seconds. I then went back and added 4 more videos to the project, joined them, added the chapters and went to the menu editing screen. Changing the picture on the 12th chapter took 2-3 seconds. That may be the way to go if it's satisfactory for you.
    • I should mention that I tried importing a couple of videos at a time and didn't join them but added a chapter marker for each one. Then I would change the picture in the menu. I got up to ten videos and the time to change the picture in the title menu didn't change significantly but the time to change it in the chapter menu got increasingly longer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• OK, from this and the other thread, it seems I really don't have a good handle on how chapters work. I haven't messed with them so far.

To be honest, I'm not hugely impressed with the flexibility that Nero provides with blu-ray authoring and if I ever get into it more than at toy level, I think I'm going to try a different authoring tool. I don't know if it would be OK to mention the one I have in mind here though. Unfortunately, I think the restrictions surrounding the spec have probably made it difficult for open source tools to come about.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Chapters are markers which you can place anywhere in a video and then go to them from either direction using the controls on your remote control during playback. If you use a Titles and Chapters selection, you will have a chapters menu which you can also access during playback by going to the menu from your remote control and selecting which chapter you want to play.

Not sure what you want that Nero doesn't have. Please explain.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited