Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Failure to uninstall Nero 2018 after installing 2019

Nero 2018 fails to uninstall through control panel etc after installation of Nero 2019. Nero 2018 remains fully functional. Windows 10 64 bit. Have asked this question but now reporting it as a problem. The uninstaller appears to work and then disappears and Nero 2018 remains in Control Panel and fully functional.
3 people have
this problem
+1
  • I’m frustrated
    I have attempted to contact support but unfortunately after I validate my key and redirected the connection is refused.

When will I receive a response to my question or is Nero 2019 not supported?

Come on, let's have some indication that the problem is being worked on.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Still waiting a response to my support ticket. Also nero smart start doesn't retain setting.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m frustrated
    Still waiting. No response to support ticket and no response from Nero employees here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am facing similar technical issues. I have attempted to contact Nero several times over the past 10 days to no avail!

Nero seems to have forgotten what good customer service is all about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nero hasn't even bothered to update and provide accurate contact information.

For instance, doing a Google search provided the following result.

http://www.customerservicedirectory.c...

Tried dialing the provided contact number, and they are disconnected!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• New Support

From Nero KnowHow:

Case 4: If you own a Nero product, but failed to install the product, please follow the below steps to report an issue.
    Go to nero.com ‘Support’ and download ‘Nero KnowHow PLUS.exe’. On your PC on which you tried to install the given Nero Suite or standalone product version, click on the executable file of ‘Nero KnowHow PLUS’, and click on ‘Report Issue’ in the category menu left hand side
    In the ‘Report Issue’ page, please select your product and your operating system, then insert your mail address and your serial number. Then report your issue and click send
    ‘Nero KnowHow PLUS’ will indicate that the message was sent successfully
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This really isn't helpful.

Are you a member of the Nero technical support team? If so, please provide a better option.

All of the requisite information has already been provided to Nero, and a fix is required.

How about setting up a remote session, or online chat ... at least that way the discussion is real-time, and interactive.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Amit,

I am not an Nero employee. I'm just a retired old man who has been watching this nonsense for several years. I do occasionally get involved with issues that interest me, but never with installation issues. It seems to me, Nero needs to address installation problems.

There are also occasions when I am able to confirm bugs discovered by others or discovered by me while looking into forum issues. Generally, those are totally ignored. Occasionally, a Nero employee will acknowledge a bug; rarely does any follow up occur. On and on!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for the clarification!

There a numerous folks encountering ...
    - Nero 2019 Platinum installation issues
    - Using Nero 2019 Platinum suite products (ROM, Express, etc)
    - Uninstalling Nero 2018 after installing Nero 2019

It's frustrating that Nero has yet to respond to any of the technical issues brought to their attention.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This is the response I got, seriously? This is from support -

Thank you for the information and apologies for the late reply.

Something should be blocking the uninstall procedure. Please attempt uninstalling on clean boot mode. Clean boot will disable third-party applications from starting, and one of them is denying access to the registry subkey which prevents Nero from uninstalling.

For more information about how to run system in "clean boot", please check the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/k...

Also disable all Anti-Virus programs, and Windows Defender. They may block Nero software.

After uninstalling both versions, run our First Aid Kit.

Please download the Nero FirstAidKit from:

http://ftp6.nero.com/tools/NeroFirstA...

Unzip the ZIP-file with WinZip or WinRAR and save the content to your hard drive.
    Double-click on the unzipped EXE-file to start the Nero FirstAidKit.
    -> The window "Nero FirstAidKit (for test only)" will open.

Confirm the message to remove the Nero entries with YES.
    -> A status window will open.
    The execution of the tool may take several minutes.

Please wait until the progress has been completed.
    -> The message "Finished cleaning up" is displayed.

Close the window by clicking the "finish" button.
    -> Nero FirstAidKit has removed all Nero entries from your registry.

Please restart your computer.

Now please proceed with a new Nero 2019 installation, again on clean boot mode.

Let us know if you were able to solve the issue. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Mauricio

Nero Support
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Kate, thanks for posting the response you have received from Nero. I echo your sentiments ... REALLY?! The potential solution provided is in simply terms is a clean uninstall, and then a re-install. I have done this quite a few times to no avail. So, clearly it is not a viable solution!

Mauricio, please have the courtesies of providing a problem specific solution, not some generic crap, hoping that it solves the issue. If you read the posts being made on this forum, you will note that numerous people are encountering with your new Nero 2019 Platinum software.

Have the courtesy of offering online chat, or remote assistance, or a phone number to call and discuss the technical issue real-time.

And, oh! I have attempted to reach out to your tech support 12 - 14 days ago, and have yet to get a response!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Amit. I didn't think it would work and thanks for updating the thread. I could not be bothered going through the pain of this. There has to be a better way and there is no support. At this stage anyone who hasn't purchased the new Nero wait until Nero offers support.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Kate,

I share your frustration. I have reached out to Cleverbridge, their eCommerce partner, to see if they can assist in escalating this issue ... and, more importantly, have Nero provide a fix.

Cheers!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Okay, this is what I did which fixed part of the problem. I had the installation file for Nero 2018 so I ran it and I was given the option to remove Nero 2018 which I did and that part worked. Nero 2018 is now off the computer.

But in saying that, it hasn't fixed the issue of the Nero Start screen not retaining settings of remaining darker.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing your fix. I have a few questions for you.

- Prior to installing Nero 2019, did you completely uninstall Nero 2018?
    - Did the Nero 2019 install complete successfully ... i.e. Did it put a Nero SmartStart desktop icon on your desktop?

Please do let me know. Thanks!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I only removed nero 2018 via installation media.

Originally installed 2019 successfully etc but uninstalling 2018 was the oroblem after installing 2019.

By using installation nedia to uninstall 2018 left the install of 2019 thus I only removed 2018 and left 2019 alone. All working.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• follow the link above and provide all your information.They will create a ticket and correspond.
    Hope it helps
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Michael, are you kidding me?!

I have submitted at least 5 requests in the past 18 days for various Nero 2019 installation issues, and have yet to receive a SINGLE response from Nero.

What's even more frustrating and infuriating is that Cleverbridge, their eCommerce partner, has attempted to escalate the issue by submitting 3 tickets on my behalf to no avail.

Not sure whether or not they are receiving the information submitted via their online form.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Kate, thanks for the clarification. I attempted what worked for you. Unfortunately, I got stuck with a Nero 2018 uninstallation error message.

Still have not heard from Nero support. 18 days and counting!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Please try the following:

1)
    Deinstall all your Nero products.

2)
    Load our First Aid Kit:

http://ftp6.nero.com/tools/NeroFirstA...

3)
    Extract the Zip-File to any folder using WinZip or 7-Zip and start the tool.

4)
    After the tool finished the work, you see "Finished cleaning up", please click on finish and restart your computer.

5)
    Start the Windows-Explorer-Filemanager (Windows key + E), doubleclick on the addressbar and enter %temp% - please delete all the files inside this folder.

6)
    Please navigate to the following path: C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Local\Temp\ and delete the NeroInstallFiles folder (if available). Delete the C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Nero folder too.

7)
    Doubleclick on the addressbar again and enter this path: c:\windows\installer - create a new folder on your desktop and move all the files from the windows\installer folder there temporary, for the duration of the installation - afterwards, please move the files back to the installer directory.

8)
    Please make sure to deactivate your firewall and antivirus software for the duration of the Nero installation.

9)
    Now please try to install your Nero software again using the following link:

http://www.nero.com/download.php?id=n...

Click on the downloaded file with a right mouseclick and select "run as admin".

Afterwards, please use the following address in order to download and install the both content packs:

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/ind...

Please install the content pack 1 first and afterwards the content pack 2.

We hope we were able to help you.
    Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Problems regarding installation errors on computers which have had previous versions of Nero installed might arise due to registry errors. To remediate this issue, please download our Nero registry cleaning program.

To do so, please proceed as follows:

1. Uninstall any Nero programs still on your computer

2. Download the Nero FirstAidKit from the following link: ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/NeroFirstAidKit.zip

3. Unzip the ZIP file with WinZip or WinRAR and save the contents to your hard drive

4. Double click on the unzipped .EXE file to start the Nero FirstAidKit

5. Confirm that you want to remove all Nero entries by clicking YES
    6. Please wait until the process has been completed
    - > The message 'Finished cleaning up' is displayed

7. Close the window by clicking the 'Finish' button
    - > Nero FirstAidKit has removed all Nero entries from your registry

8. Reboot your computer

Afterwards, please again try installing Nero on your system as an administrator. No new issues should arise.

-
    • Seriously ! It doesn't work for some. Using the installation media for 2018 to remove Nero 2018 worked for me. That is the solution they sent me and again repeated the solution when I told them I had fixed the problem and was awaiting the Smart Start not retaining settings solution which I found out through this site, there was a fix being released soon to fix that. So I told the tech that too.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Already posted earlier in thread. I uninstalled nero 2018 via the installation media rather than go through all what was suggested. Nero took aome time to respond to the problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• What is great? Nothing! Nero is aware that there are numerous issues with their Nero 2019 Platinum software ...

- Installation
      - Recoding
      - Uninstalling

... etc. And, they have yet to acknowledge these issues, and provide a solution. Generic solutions aren't helpful, especially if it suggests uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

I have made specific posts about the issues I am facing, including providing pictures of the error messages ... And, Nero has yet to respond! No solution provided!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Michael, the proposed solution did not work for me.

Nero Technical Support IS A JOKE! They are no help at all!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I received a further email from Tech Support urging me to fix my problem via their solution even though I told them I fixed the problem via the installation media of Nero 2018. I also mentioned that there was allegedly a fix coming out from Nero regarding the Nero Smart Start not remembering settings.

Seriously, support is a joke.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That FirstAidKit doesn't do anything when used @ Windows10 64bit. Told support that already.

B.
    • view 4 more comments
    • Amit,

Are you getting forum emails? I've had trouble that appears to have been caused by some sort of generic spam removal being done by AOL (Verizon email address), even with spam filtering turned off. Since5.5 suggested using gmail. That worked.
    • Hello Omega Tester,

I do get forum email -- one's that I am following.

You may be right ... there may be some sort of email spam filter. I have Yahoo and ATT email accounts.

Strange thing is that I do receive direct email sent to my email address from Nero. I did receive one today from one of their executives.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm