I’m ahein

Half-price upgrade offer for Nero 2015 - but zero info on product features?

So I get an email from Nero today, inviting me to spending £40 quid upgrading to Nero 2015 Platinum - with absolutely no info whatsoever as to what is available in this new version.

Is this some kind of joke? Why would I upgrade without knowing what I'd be getting?
And since last year's upgrade broke the ability to play BluRay discs for about 3 months, I'm obviously a bit cautious...
17 people have
this question
+1
next » « previous
  • I’m really sad
    I downloaded the trial version. But can't do anything with it to test it out!!! Doesn't allow a thing, always gives me a note
    Click Info to find out about our offer!!!!
    So why to buy it, if you don't know what you'll get? I still have my Nero 10 HD, my Nero 9 that is just great. but Nero 6 was one of their best versions.
    I could only see that Nero Recode is now for dummies
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hi Martin- I just commented in the other thread you posted.

There's another very long thread about this same subject.

They do list improvements at nero.com, Products. There are also some improvements not listed there. For example, one now has the abiltiy to fit music to a project duration or vice versa in Make Advanced Movie. It was previously only available in Express editing.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• to Wither
    thanks, also for the reply in the other thread.
    For editing I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. For encoding the same its fast, really fast and excellent quality. But for DVD's though I can import vob files, between the files there is sometimes 1s missing. That's why I use Nero Recode.
    I have hundreds of DVDs I made, that I now want to save as mp4. I just wondered if you have some experience in the speed improvement between version 10 and lets say version 14 or 15? If there is an improvement by 30 to 50 % including my cuda cores that would justify an upgrade. If the speed improvement is minimal, then its a waste of money.
    >>>
    About the cuda cores. I read here in the thread, that the newest nvidia driver above 3.4x is not working for nero or also Cyberlink mediaespresso 7. However the interesting thing is, that Adobe CS6 Premiere or Media encoder uses my cuda cores with nvidia driver 3.44 as much as it can. I can see the usage, while scrubbing or while encoding between 30 to 60%.. Interesting?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I haven't specifically tested the differences in encoding times between Nero versions. I trying an export from Nero Vision Extra right now. I'll then try it in Nero Video 2015. Note that I'm using an older driver so CUDA is in use. I'll get back to you on what I find.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Well, here goes.

I exported a 45 minute video to mpeg-4 using both Nero Vision/Video in v10 and v2015. It took v10 44 minutes. V2015 took 77 minutes. I exported the same file to AVC (which uses CUDA) in v2015 and it completed in about 35 minutes. I'm trying the same thing in v10 right now and it's estimating 65 minutes but it's going to take longer, based on what I'm seeing. So far, v2015 is the champ if one uses CUDA. The verdict is still out in regards v2015 exporting speeds compared to v10.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Last year (2014) I purchased Nero 2014 to back up my data on the assumption that SmartFit would correctly slice the data between disks.

However last year and this year (even after downloading all the bug fixes) the program still locks up whenever I try to copy across a few Bluray disks.

Annoyingly it seems to lock up on the last disk in a set!

I don't want to spend money on another upgrade on ly to find that this bug still isn't fixed.

Anyone else had problems with the SmartFit feature?

:-(
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Annoyingly Nero often spends long periods when it looks like it has locked up (says it's not responding)... but then eventually unlocks.

I think this may be because of the large backups?

I was trying to backup ~140 GB of files when these problems arose.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Don't buy any Nero products. I purchased Nero 2015 Platinum in December 2014, to date I have not been able to install the software on my PC. Various communications with Nero technical, files sent as requested and get no reply.
    I have asked for a refund and was told this is not possible, it looks like I have just wasted my money. Never ever will I buy or recommend Nero.

NERO - SIMPLY ENJOY NOW THAT IS A JOKE
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I've got v2015 Platinum installed on two different systems with two different operating systems (Vista and Win 7). My neighbor just installed v2015 Platinum on his Win 8.1 system and had no problems. I've said it a thousand times, these problems are system specific.

I see you haven't posted before and this thread isn't about installation problems. I don't know when you're last correspondence with tech support was. You should send an e-mail to techsupport@nero.com and ask them the status. Use the same e-mail address as you use to log into the forum.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I also had problems getting Nero to work.

I appear to have written in a few too many security features?

Those security features are prone to making the whole program so secure even licensed users can't use it?

I run into problems with security because I like to turn off unused programs/services.

The more stuff you have running the slower the computer runs and the more prone it is to crashing? Ideally a program turns itself and its services on only when it's launched? However a lot of programmers insist on leaving everything running even though you might only use the program a few times a year?

Nero is bloating terribly because of some of these poor programming practises?
    I don't mind if the programs are a bit porky... but at least give customers the ability to turn them off when not being used?

Thus I often turn off the validation required to make the program work... and it doesn't automatically restart when the program is run.

As the error messages aren't meaningful enough it's usually not possible to work out why the program isn't working without contacting software support (which I do if necessary).

Software support are very helpful and helped sort the problem out but it takes time... and it always happens when you are in the middle of some important backup?

It would be better if there was less security?

If I run into these problems I usually just switch to a program that doesn't have quite so much security?

Pity Nero does a few tasks so well... I don't want to switch.

Maybe Nero programmers can act on a few of those complaints?

:-)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This thread has nothing to do with Backitup. If you want to pursue that problem, please start a new thread and I'll be happy to try to help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I cant get the content file to install and nero wants $1.29 a minute to talk to them!
    Bovine excrement<----
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Just bought the 2015 upgrade... and still having install problems.

Wish Nero would get a bit leaner? Only porky programs ever seem to have these install problems?

Modularise the program a bit more? At least then some of it would work? at the moment none of it does?

Don't mind email but it takes time!

Will have to wait till I get back from the US?

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    The new Nero 2015 is a waste of money, will not load correctly and complicated to use, the old one was far better. There are other products far better then this out there.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Alastair- I don't see where you posted a thread on your installation problem. This isn't the appropriate thread for that.

Since you say you can't install it correctly, I don't know how you've been able to check out all the features. I don't know which version "the old one was".
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just upgraded from nero 10 to nero 2015. I had downloaded the trial version first to see what the new features were. The trial version opens well, but the version I just paid for will not open. can you help?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I still don't have the 2015 version working... and now it's time to shell out for the 2016 version?

Free upgrade would be nice?

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Finally got Nero 2015 installed (knew if I waited long enough they'd fix the install problem eventually)... only to find it won't backup some of my data because the directory path is more than 260 characters.

What does it take to save directories with paths of more than 260 characters?

PS. How can you have directories with more than 260 characters if Windows doesn't support them?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

This may be of interest-

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18...

One of the suggestions near the end is to .zip the path.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That's a great answer with a lot of good suggestions.

However the best solution would be for Nero to support greater than 260 characters?

According to the answers provided in the link... the reason Nero doesn't support more than 260 characters is because Nero is not using the Shell API which supports the longer path length.

This path length problem is one of the reasons I bought Nero 2015. I figured with the newer Nero versions they would have fixed this old problem?

Apparently not?

That's why my query was about product features.

I'm disappointed.

:-(
    PS. I can also reduce my path lengths.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I didn't mention reducing your path lengths because I didn't want to insult your intelligence. That's an obvious solution and some people don't want to do that.

The best I can tell you is to send an e-mail to techsupport@nero.com for an expert answer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Please Nero fix your path length problem?

It's not a windows limitation... it's a Nero limitation.

Please provide a meaningful list of product improvements when you offer upgrades?

So far I'm still none the wiser what the actual improvements were?

PS. Even backing up my files didn't work properly in Nero 2014 if I used different disks or disk sizes. That was meant to work. It results in a stack of unusable Bluray disks every time I try it... and Bluray disks aren't cheap... especially if you're using dual layer (I want to try quad layer next). Haven't tried this yet in Nero 2015 yet.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Every now and then I sit down and prune path lengths.

...but if you want to do a backup in a hurry... it would be easier if the software supported long path lengths?

We know it's possible to support long path lengths. We have even identified what programming changes Nero needs to make.

...and we've complained visibly?

Maybe we'll see some changes?

...or maybe I'll track down some software that supports long path lengths?

...but I like the Nero interface... so I'd prefer to encourage them to improve the program?

Maybe it's fixed in the new 2016 Nero version?

Which raises the original question...

"Wheres's the list of changes to the program?"

Nero 2016 in this case.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Sent an email off to technical support on this issue.

Maybe they have a work-around?

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have to say that I wish to god I came to this forum and read all this before just yesterday purchasing Nero Classic 2015 for a what I thought was a bargain price of £12.90. I only wanted it for Nero Video to see what advantages and other stuff it has in it, in comparison to my Nerovision 2010 edition I got years ago.

Well the first thing I noticed is that it has not got any as you cannot even get the thing to bloody work (LOL) It's working as a trial or demo and I cannot export a thing. OK there is perhaps a few more effects and transitions and so on, but over the space of 5 years I am not that impressed at all.

Why on earth Nero just did not make add on packs such as Themes and FX I don't know apart from they like to rip you off big style by the sounds of it, by introducing a new Nero Suite and package every year.

God help those who have paid full whack for the latest 2016 release or even more than the £12.90 I just paid for 2015 Classic. The only thing that is classic is the fact that they do not have a clue what they are doing and should be reported to trade description, cause they have not learned a thing since 2010 in my opinion, and are selling products that simply do not work.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero is programmed in Delphi.

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/d...

It's an easy language to work in and has all the necessary tools for making powerful programs.

It's a nice program to use... and the new version does support Bluray better than the old one does.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I was reading an article on Delphi by a Delphi programmer and they listed common software that was programmed in Delphi.Nero was one of the products listed. I didn't post the original link as I didn't want to bore any non-programmers with the details.

A one word comment is meaningless unless you can guess the context?

I assumed someones comment had been deleted because it was an .

If my post was an ad Nero would have deleted it long ago?

One word comments are not very useful unless other readers can guess the context?

If Nero is using the latest Delphi version it's very easy to update the software.

The Delphi web site nicely summarised the products capabilities for anyone not familiar with the product?

The article is much more in depth giving examples of Delphi's capabilities, comparing it to other programming languages and giving real life examples.
      Most people seem totally unaware of the advantages of programming languages they don't program in... so posting the article might be a good idea?

The article was not written by a Delphi employee... which was another reason for thinking it might be relevant?

However the bottom line was I thought Nero could do a lot better?
      ...and was trying to encourage them to improve the product a bit.

Nero keep telling us what the product can't do... when that seems at odds with what the programming language is designed to do? In fact the article I read was moaning about Delphi programmers who don't bother to update their code.

I assume that I'm mainly dealing with the marketing department... not the guys doing the programming? That would explain the disconnect?

I like Nero... and I'd like it to be better.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Sorry for the off-topic, but Nero is really programmed in Delphi? Oh my god, this is the language my teachers told me only exists in ancient programming textbooks, and not used by anyone because it's a dinosaur.
    This would explain a lot. You'll probably have recruitment problems because no young computer scientist in the right mind would want to work with Delphi. That's also why we see literally no improvements over the years, Nero 2016 is as buggy as ten years ago. The UI has not changed at al, and still looks as if it was from the 90s.
    • view 7 more comments
    • I don't know who it was, in another thread, that asked the same question but I asked him/her to ask Nero if they can get a refund if they accept the offer and then don't want v2017.
    • I kind of hoped that Nero would offer a refund (or a free upgrade to next years version)... which would at least suggest they were listening. If I have to ask then they're not listening very hard? It would also address the problem I had where it took me most of the year to get my Nero up and running so I didn't get much use out of it.

...but really I'd prefer if Nero clearly stated that they had understood the problems and would address them.

Providing work-a-rounds does not address the root of the problem. Most work-a-rounds require the user to work differently. Asking the user to change makes less sense than changing the product to improve the user experience?

I've never established if there is any kind of formal bug/enhancement list and whether these suggestions make it onto that list? It would be nice if they did.

...so despite the complaints... I'm disinclined to ask for or accept a refund.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Here's a list of famous software programmed with Delphi (including Nero):

https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress....

...and a short defence of Delphi as a programming language.

• I remember ImageLine had to wait, was it 2013 or so, for Borland(or current owner) to make 64-bit version.

And probably why Nero is still 32-bit as well.

I was almost fooled into using Delphi in the 90's, but gladly stayed out of it. These kind of environments seems really handy at first, but really paint you into a corner and no way out.

I hope 64-bit version of Nero stuff is around the corner...it's already really late adopter doing that now even....

All my audio tools, like daws, have been 64-bit at least 10 years now.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• What was your older version and what did you upgrade to? WaveEditor has not been part of a Nero Suite since v14 (I think, but my memory is not as good as would like). You can go to nero.com, downloads, and download the latest version of WaveEditor. It should integrate into the welcome application for whichever version of Nero you upgraded to.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I'm using 2016 at the moment... but looking at the 2017 info page it still doesn't list much in the way of back-end improvements that deal with the issues listed above:

http://www.nero.com/ena/products/nero...

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

next » « previous