I’m ahein

Half-price upgrade offer for Nero 2015 - but zero info on product features?

So I get an email from Nero today, inviting me to spending £40 quid upgrading to Nero 2015 Platinum - with absolutely no info whatsoever as to what is available in this new version.

Is this some kind of joke? Why would I upgrade without knowing what I'd be getting?
And since last year's upgrade broke the ability to play BluRay discs for about 3 months, I'm obviously a bit cautious...
17 people have
this question
+1
next » « previous
  • I got a reply from Nero customer services with the following blurb. I have to say that apart form the faster/better video encoding/burning, I'm completely MEH about this stuff...

Nero 2015 Platinum burns, rips and converts all your videos and music to CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discsTM, TVs, smartphones and tablets. And with our new apps, you can even master your multimedia, burn completely wirelessly over the air and improve your Nero skills on your mobile device.

NEW! Stream to your iOS AndroidTM Device

• Use „Play to“ to stream files directly from your PC to your smartphone or tablet with Nero MediaHome Receiver App

• Watch videos, slideshows, and listen to music on-the-go without worrying about file formats

• Works on your iOS and AndroidTM

NEW! Nero AirBurn

• Select precious photos, videos and even documents on your phone or tablet

• Send these files directly to your PC for instant burning

• Works on your iOS and Android

NEW! Organize Photos Videos with Geotags

• All-new support for geotags right within Nero MediaHome

• Supports your cameras geotags – or just add your own!

• Use Nero MediaBrowser with places view in non-Nero applications, too

• Create and enjoy slideshows and videos based on places you visited

• A new way to enjoy your memories

NEW! All-in-one launcher

• New, sleek launcher for all your beloved Nero applications, such as Nero Video, Nero Burning Rom and Nero MediaHome.

• Quick access to all video tutorials including many new ones

• Fast access to your new Nero mobile apps

NEW! Switch Video-Disc Format on the Fly

• No need to create a new project if you want to switch the output format

• Switch to different disc target formats on-the-fly

• Finally available in the authoring and burning tool

NEW! Font Styles Motion Text Effects

• High-class fonts and styles for your Nero Video project

• 20 pre-set design styles for drag and drop

• Save any personal style for later use

• All-new motion text effects

• Transforms your home videos into Hollywood-grade blockbusters

NEW! Instant Access to Your Nero Cloud

• Enjoy and view photos, music and videos you stored on your Nero BackItUp cloud

• Nero MediaHome is your One-Stop-Shop for all your precious memories on your PC, all your connected devices and now even your personal online drive.

NEW! Five New mobile Nero Manual Apps

• Get 5 companion apps

• Our apps contain detailed step-by-step guides and instructions to master your Nero 2015 projects

• Works on iOS and AndroidTM

NEW! Stream to any TV Media Player

• Stream any video file from Nero MediaHome to your TV or Media Player

• Play back files that your devices don’t even support

• Powered by our new auto-transcoding feature

NEW! Even Faster Video Converting and Burning

· Powerful video editing including Ultra HD (4K) support

• Enhanced SmartEncoding delivers superfast rendering

• Results in quicker burning times

• Improved hardware acceleration for AVC export to convert your videos even faster

* Intended for privately owned non copy-protected content
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thanks for the posting. I got the same email and had the same question. I have read the listing from Nero and I still don't see what I'm looking for. That is, convert Blu-Ray material (only in Blu-Ray format) to DVD with subtitles in tact. 2014 will convert O'k but subtitles go away. I use 2010 most of the time to put the movie on my network drive (which is very legal to do as I own the discs) as it seems easier to do but it won't do the conversion from Blu-Ray to DVD. I'll order 2015 as soon as I see if it will do what I want and not before. Rick Tobin
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I've been telling people for the last few days that I thought that Nero was preparing to issue a new version, since there are no Nero employees responding to any threads in the forum. This will be my 6th or 7th time through this and every time, the latter occurs because the employees are testing before the software is issued. There are some very interesting things in that list.

The one that I find to be very useful is-

"No need to create a new project if you want to switch the output format"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The only 'new feature' I want is for Nero Burning ROM to finally remember relative file paths, so that you can actually open a saved project on a different PC and it will work.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You're not supposed to charge £40 for bug fixes and call it a 'new product' :) lmao
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• GOT YOU Once Again. and Pay Again, and Again, and Again. I have got the very latest Nero 14 Platinum!!!!!!

I will be the LAST!!!!! NOT THE FIRST – It is already released.

Order Number: 210407052
    Order Date: 16/09/2013
    Customer Number: 50810362
    Payment: VISA

A year later Again be the first!!!! and PAY AGAIN. Why not a free upgrade to the faithful supporters???????

3 days left to upgrade to Nero 12 Platinum and get Steganos Privacy Suite 14 for FREE! and so it goes on with 11, 10 etc etc and pay and pay again.

Now when i tried to log on - they have no record of me!!!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• David- I couldn't agree with you more. My biggest pet peeve with Nero has always been that they don't provide comprehensive fixes of known problems within a particular version in that version.

Fred- seems that the log on problem has been fixed since I'm responding to your post.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have logged on through Facebook since they have no record of me with my email address which I have used since about Nero 3.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There is nothing there that will make me rush out to purchase the 2015 version of the same software. All this smartphone apps malarkey is just a big turn off for me and I'm not interested in burning discs from my phone or whatever they're offering?
    The one thing I do want to see (supposedly under consideration for a long time) is the ability to recode video with hardcoded subs. No mention of this in the stuff above.
    Nero are seriously taking the Michael if they think I will even consider upgrading at anything other than a very special user upgrade price. Say; £14.99 tops.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey James- that would be an awesome price. :)

Fred- I guess you can't go to your profile on the forum and log into your Account? If not, you should send an e-mail to techsupport@nero.com.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1, I would even go to £19.99 if they included the ability to hardcode external subs in Recode. If there hasn't been any changes in any way after all this time I doubt I'll even look at Nero again in reality until they do.
    All these companies seem desperate to incorporate tablets and smart phones some how but how many DVD writers do you see attached to a tablet? Pure nonsense.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    I upgraded to 2014 Platinum 03/2014. I feel there should be a grandfathered reduced or waived upgrade fee.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't know if Nero is going to let people get a discount on v15 using their older versions as trade in, as they did with v14. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• James- I'm a dinosaur when it comes to all these new devices. I finally bought a so called "smart" tv a month ago and it's not as smart as my old tvs. My cell phone is six years old and I use it about once a month. However, all those people who buy every new iPhone or IPad or Galaxy when they come out are now in the majority and can't be ignored by any company in the media business.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Wither 1, I agree their needs to be apps for tablets and smart phones but seriously how many people are burning files from their tablets. I have an iPhone, iPad, Kindle HD and various other devices in our household that you can install apps on to such as the Tesco Hudle and not one of use have ever needed to airburn files.

NEW! Nero AirBurn
    • Select precious photos, videos and even documents on your phone or tablet
    • Send these files directly to your PC for instant burning
    • Works on your iOS and Android

Has Nero not heard of dropbox or copy? (who just upgraded my online storage to 30GB because I recommended a couple of friends?)

They're even advertising one of their new features as: NEW! All-in-one launcher
    • New, sleek launcher for all your beloved Nero applications, such as Nero Video, Nero Burning Rom and Nero MediaHome.

Wow, I bet that's got potential buyers wetting their lips in anticipation. Not.

I'm not being argumentative, but I think its time for Nero to get their core programmes right before they try selling non items as upgrades.
    I've been able to stream media files for the past 5 years via, my NAS software and couldn't even get Nero's streaming feature to work properly in 2014.
    That's not to say the 2015 version won't be better, but better than Plex? I think not.

External subtitles in Recode would be a good starting point for me because seeing them state this is under consideration is just annoying after this length of time.

AS you can see I'm no dinosaur but Nero is fast becoming one. All this supposedly new app stuff has been done to death and they're just catching up now. Oh dear.
    • Core applikations work good in burning Rom, but nero recode is far away - no subtitles, difficulties in different languages and - that is realy a great Problem - time-shift between Video and audio-stream - Video lacks, although Maschine has all powers (i7 with vast amount of Memory et c.). I dont need a central starting-program - i need recode if i want to recode, i need burning rom if i want to burn a disk ...
      i dont need airburn - files are automatically on the PC throught cloud-services.

But to mirror Screen in both directions PC to Phone/Tablett and vice verse with ease would be great! That is not realy possible today (chromecast takes it to a chromestick but not to a PC)

Alexander
    • good issues James! I fully agree with You
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It's a competitive world out there. Companies have to scrounge for every customer. The claim is that very few people are burning anymore but the forum alone is evidence that isn't the case.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1. Yes it is, and that's why most companies value their existing customer base. Having used Nero products for a very long time I'm not sure the Nero of today actually values us in the same way. I look forward to seeing what they offer 2015 to me for but sending out emails to their existing (2014?) customers offering them another copy of the same programme and an upgrade to their upcoming 2015 version (which does what exactly? - I now know of course thanks to this forum) at the full price is a joke surely?
    No mention of external subs in Recode but a load of apps and waffle about how I can stream to my devices. Big deal, they're 2 or 3 years behind the times.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I think that the absence of a referral to subtitles in the listed changes tells us that the desired changes to implementing subtitles are not there. Whether or not the upgrade has value is a personal choice. If there's nothing there for you, obviously, you're not going to buy it. I can't say the same thing about fixes to problems which exist in v14. Nero AG doesn't like to admit to problems in their software and never calls the problems "bugs". The only way to find out about fixes is to read the release notes, if and when they post them.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1 14 hours ago

"I think that the absence of a referral to subtitles in the listed changes tells us that the desired changes to implementing subtitles are not there."

Obviously, we don't know this until they release the 2015 version as they might surprise us with even more (lol) but if all they're offering is what has been posted above I can't see me being killed in the stampede to buy by 2014 users at least.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2014-09-04.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2014-09-04.
    see the change log
  • I think the email is not an upgrade it's a standalone product, it doesn't say anything about upgrading so the price I pretty appealing, although I wouldn't shell 50 on mistory
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It is an upgrade price, you moomin. The full price is twice that amount!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• David the email I received is a newsletter email that says preorder platinum 2015 not ugrade to 2015, when I went to the cart it doesn't say upgrade key thats why I said it's a hell of a price cuz their selling it 50% off, that's why I am considering to buy it and selling my boxed 2014 version.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This thread isn't about the letter you (and I too) received today, it's about the different (upgrade offer) email I received the same day I started this thread :) sorry if it's confusing ;)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• O i c so u think this is a good deal ? Cuz I can probably sell 2014 for 60$, I am sure there are tons of other new features and dates not to mention the support for H265 encoding.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't burn discs a lot I mainly use nero video and recode, cuz nero recode is the only converter that can convert 60fps 1080p videos using cuda cores, non of the top rated converters could do it unless not as fast or as stable.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you sell your 2014 to another person, they won't be able to use it without them and you jumping through hoops with Nero to convince them that they should transfer the serial number to the other person. Now, if Nero is letting you trade 2014 for 2015, as they did for 2014, you would get about that much off.

If you want to use cuda in Recode, don't update to the latest NVIDIA drivers. They disabled the cuda acceleration. Nero is working with NVIDIA on it but I don't know what the outcome will be.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• yeah I know I opened a thread about it ( I think I did that with my facebook account sign in) and I rolled back, as for selling it, I will be selling it to a family member so I`m the one who will probably be setting it up for them.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• In that situation, I guess it will be on a different computer. You can install it on that computer using your serial number by telling it you're doing a permanent transfer during the installation. I don't know what information the installation file looks at in regards to user accounts, etc. but used serial numbers usually always require Nero to get involved. I think it's tied to the e-mail account. Best I can say is give it a try before your family member pays up. I don't mean to say it's not impossible. All I'm saying is, if it chokes, you would need to send an e-mail to customer service or tech support to do the transfer of the serial number. There's no need to mention that you're selling it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I've received the 3rd email about Nero 2015 Platinum, but rather than describe it as an upgrade, my emails are for VIP access to a pre-order version. I can buy it for AU$69.99 instead of the regular $199.99.

Clicking the email link takes me to the shop with no options to visit any other part of the site, so I can't login, view the product page for the software I'm about to buy, etc.

Clicking the update link from my existing Nero 2014 Platinum takes me to an update page which *only* includes Nero 2014 products. Luckily for me I can upgrade my existing Nero 2014 Platinum to...Nero 2014 Platinum for only $69.99. Not sure how that counts as an update myself, but there is certainly not even a sniff of Nero 2015 to be found if you try going through the software or the Nero homepage - that I've been able to find.

It looks like I'm just going to have to wait until Nero 2015 Platinum is released and my current version can find the upgrade before I decide whether the software is worth upgrading. I think it is insulting to existing purchasers that they aren't given an opportunity to upgrade via their software. My emails make it sound as though this is an offer for mailing list subscribers rather than current Nero purchasers.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I'm not falling for it.
    Just imagine if I had succumbed to the earlier "offer" to "upgrade" to 2014 and now to find I need to spend ANOTHER $69.99 to "upgrade" to 2015?

Luckily, I have no need for any of the "new" features so my Nero 12 Platinum is fine - except that the existing bugs have not been fixed and I doubt very much that they ever will be.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Well, I forked out for this upgrade today, not because it appears to offer any new features I need whatsoever, but simply because I find it easier to keep my PC running smoothly if I have current versions of all my applications (not least as Windows 9 is just round the corner)... legacy versions increasingly become a pain in the ass when they're not supported.

...only to discover that the damn thing isn't realeased yet! And Nero will "send me an email with a download link" when it is. Well THANK YOU, Nero! Enjoy rolling around in my cash in the meantime, why don't you. ffs
    • view 1 more comment
    • David, whilst I understand your thoughts about keeping your software up to date I also think you're setting yourself up for problems with early day releases. This month alone there have been major problems with Nero 2015, Acronis True Image 2015 upgrade is being panned because of what they've removed from their latest update. I couldn't even get Cyberlink's Power Producer to install on my machine and when I tried it on another laptop it crashed the first time I tried to do anything. This seems to be happening more and more. I've decided to ignore every attempt to get me to upgrade until I know the likes of these programmes have been sorted out with patches etc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• I’m fustrated
    Some Core applikations work good for instance "burning Rom", but nero recode is far away - no subtitles, difficulties in different languages and - that is realy a great issue- time-shift between Video and audio-stream - Video lacks, although Maschine has all powers (i7 with vast amount of Memory et c.). I dont need a central starting-program - i need recode if i want to recode, i need burning rom if i want to burn a disk ...
    i dont need airburn - files are automatically on the PC throught cloud-services.

But to mirror Screen in both directions PC to Phone/Tablett and vice verse with ease would be great! That is not realy possible today (chromecast takes it to a chromestick but not to a PC)

Alexander
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I'm interested in the new features of NERO VIDEO; I'd like to test the "switch to different target" feature since that would be really nice to convert a BD to say, AVCHD or even DVD formats.

But alas, I downloaded the 15-day free trial, and after crashing on loading my first video file, I receive a message regarding the trial doesn't allow you to try the software; only limited functions. I work primarily with HD video, and based on NERO's record, I'm not about to dish out any money just to see if a new feature works. NERO 2014 was a big disappointment over NERO 12, for me. Having been using NERO since v6, I learned long ago that NERO's customers do NOT come first, and their history of releasing buggy software speaks for itself.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

It seems there are a lot of us who are disappointed with Nero's offerings over the past few years. I actually can't believe Recode has no new subtitle capability. I also suspect this is a very different Nero from what we've been used to say five years ago where profit is king and customer service comes way down their list of priorities. I couldn't even get the 2015 trial to install so who on earth is going to buy this upgrade when that happens?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Well, if you're using it heavily and can't afford any downtime for bugs, fair enough!

In my case, I'm not really using it much at the moment anyway, but I did have the cash spare to take advantage of the half-price upgrade, and the time free to install it, so I did it now.
    If there's any disastrous bugs and I need to burn a CD in a panic, I can always stick Nero 2014 back on my machine!

I tell you what was odd though: I installed Nero 2015 the day it was released, and ran the updated, and there was about a gigabyte of updates pending for it already?!? Wierd.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I installed v2015 the day it was released and ran the check for updates after the installation. There were no updates, as expected. I also installed it a few days later (I have two licenses) on my other system and there were no updates. It sounds like you didn't get a full install for some reason.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I received the "new" Nero2015 platinum. It behaves and functions just like the 2014. Absolutely nothing seems to have changed but the appearance. Had I known this, I would have not purchased it.

Also, the straight to device now sends you to recode making the whole idea uselss. The only difference is that Recode will not recognize any of my blank disks.

There are many free utilities that are actually easier to use.
    • Scary how they think adding a few apps to the same core programme is worth the upgrade cost. It's the same programme folks, and this has to be one of the best swindles going. Sell the same thing to someone every year but dress it up in new clothes, they'll never know. Okay, if you're coming to Nero from new but being asked to fork out for the same programme year after year with only a a few bells 'n' whistles being added at the price they ask is just not acceptable any longer.
      If they were really serious about existing users upgrading they should reduce to price to a point where it didn't make you blink to even consider it. I was offered an email upgrade of £39.99 and if I upgrade directly from the Nero web site they want £54.99. Seriously, who are they trying to kid?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't know. I like the fact that you can now fit your project to music or vice versa in Advanced Editing. That option was only previously available in Express editing. The ability to change the type of project on the fly is also a very desireable addition. If a person does a lot of video burning, the increased encoding speeds seem to be a good addition. I won't go on. Of course, they haven't published the release notes so we don't know what problems that existed in v14 were fixed in v15.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I have to be honest I'm not impressed with the newer Recode either. I recently upgraded to Nero 12 Platinum from ver.10 & I'm quite upset at the dropping of features that were included in 10. Namely the Audio Volume Increaser, support for FLV format by the included video player & the supposed hardware acceleration worked once & hasn't been an option since. It takes forever to encode video now. I'm using Handbrake & VLC, both free to replace missing features dropped from one purchased version to another. So back to ver. 10 at next system reload & bye-bye to Nero upgrades. Nero Burning Rom is still great, but the rest of this product seems to have lost it's way! If free programs do it better, & I have to use them to replace dropped components, then see ya Nero. A program should evolve, not go backwards. I fail to see why I should keep paying more for less & less, or functions that really add nothing but gimmicks. Smart phone, tablet, Air burn junk that is Filler to what was once a Superior product, but no longer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Note that you can have v10 installed in parallel with other versions so you shouldn't have to wait until the next system reload.

I can play .flv in Nero MediaHome (the included video player). It also supports hardware acceleration. That's the player in v10-2015.

Recode also supports .flv and Cuda acceleration (if you're not using the latest NVIDIA driver.

For me, the biggest drawback to having either 2014 or 2015 alone, is that Nero Backitup 2014 doesn't have all the features in the previous versions. I use Backitup 12.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    I always keep my video card drivers up to date, & I no longer have the option to use hardware acceleration in Recode 12 when encoding video. The option is no longer
    available after working fine the first couple of times. As for .flv I must confess I simply tried playing one after installation without configuring Nero Mediahome first since I have no use for it, I don't stream, because I use a Qnap server for this instead, so I assumed it was no longer supported. My biggest bone to pick, however is the interface in Recode, no longer the ability to override the audio volume settings in V12 as in V10. This is a serious pain in ass. I would have never purchased 12 had I known this was no longer available. Video volumes are often too low after encoding with no easy way to correct the problem. Watching encoded video on my Asus tablette is brutal with volume on max & headphones installed in a quiet place let alone on a plane for ex. after using 12. My HK amp must be on max volume with headphones. With v10 you could override the volume using the High setting & that was perfect for all listening applications. Why remove that option???? It was one of the best things in Recode. Now instead we have profiles upon profiles. More user control & options are needed, not less, for a program to evolve. Again Nero Burning Rom is great & always has been, but Recode no longer. Thanks for your response.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• In my last response, I mentioned that you can use Cuda encoding if you're not using the "latest" driver from NVIDIA. The ability to use CUDA in Recode disappeared with the latest NVIDIA drivers. One would have to roll back to 337.xx to get it back. Nero and NVIDIA are working on that. In another thread someone mentioned that there is a file you can download to get around that.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    Also I should add, that I`ve owned complete vers. of Nero 6,7,8,10 & now 12 with all the bells & whistles & previous versions that came with the writers I bought. 6-10 were all great, it seems that the dumbing down of the interface in Recode & the removal of components seems to be ruining this product. Again if I have to go back to freebie software to have features missing from purchased software, then seriously what`s the point. Dumping out version after version every year & stripping out previously supported options from one to another, is a recipe for disaster for this company. keeping what it does well, & expanding on that is the way to go.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I appreciate your response & have to ask why Nero Recode does not work with the latest Nvidia drivers? I am using a Galaxy GTX 670. Is the problem, the driver with this series of card, Nero not compatible or not updated to work with the latest drivers, or a problem on Nvidia's end? I don't see any explanation as to why it wouldn't work. Why 337.xx & before?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

next » « previous