Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

How do I do this with my Nero 2017 Platinum?

I have a video DVD of an old TV series with the episodes encoded as chapters

I am a newbie to DVD manipulation and I would like to do the following procedure *without re-encoding* if possible:
- Split the DVD into separate episode files
- Add a couple more episode files from another video DVD
- Sort and rename the episodes
- Make a very simple menu - just a list of episodes to select from
- Burn the result onto a new DVD-R

What are the steps to do this in the various Nero modules?
Do I need additional software ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise me.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi Tim-

Based on what you say what you want to do with the project, I don't think you mean that you want to make an individual video file out of each episode. That would involve exporting each episode to your hard drive with Nero Video. That's not difficult but it's time consuming. I'll give you a procedure which I think would meet your requirements. We can refine it as you desire.

Open Nero Video and select DVD, DVD Video.

With the first disc in the drive, select Import, Import Disc. Import the Title (s).

Then, do the same thing with the second disc.

Move the pointer below the preview screen to the ending of the first episode for the first disc. Click on the Clapboard under the preview screen and select Add Chapter Marker. Repeat this for all the entirety of what you imported. The individual chapters will appear in the media area.

If you want to delete one or more, select each and select Delete. If you want to move one or more, click on one select "Move Up" or "Move Down." When finished, click on Next.

In the menu editing screen, Choose Titles and Chapters menu. In the Chapters menu, change the name of each button to name the it as desired. I think you have to go to Advanced Editing and right click on each button to do this but the damn thing is acting up tonight.

If, at that point, the size of the project exceeds the size of disc your using, click on Options, Recording Format options. Change the quality setting until it's no longer an issue. Fit to disc doesn't always work.

Burn to disc.

I did this quickly since i've got a bunch of stuff running on the system at this moment and it's super slow. Just trying verify if what I'm telling you is correct.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Wither_1, thanks for your advice. Actually, yes, I did want to make an individual video file out of each episode. I started using your procedure but, using Nero, it was very time-consuming, as you warned. I abandoned Nero and after some trial and error this procedure worked well:

- Rip DVDs to HDU as .mkv files using MakeMKV
    - In windows, rename and re-order the MKVs into one folder for each output DVD
    - Using AVStoDVD, for each output folder of MKVs, create a DVD folder containing the VIDEO_TS etc.
    - Using ImgBurn, for each DVD folder, make an .iso image.
    - Again using ImgBurn, burn several DVDs of each .iso.

This may seem a longwinded process but once worked-out, it was actually pretty quick to get the episodes a) in the right order, b) fitting onto a logical series of output DVDs and c) without re-coding (important to me). It is possible to burn with IngBurn from inside AVStoDVD but the sequence above worked better for me.

Tim
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I can understand your desire to save the files and rename them. Instead of encoding to a different format, you can just copy the .vob files from the discs to your HDD/SDD and rename them in Windows/File Explorer and then import them into Nero Video and burn the project to your hdd/ssd. That will create the Video_TS folder. You can then burn the video_ts directly to disc using Burning Rom. You can also specify the number of discs. That process eliminates a lot of what you're doing. Depending on where you start out in Nero Video with the .vobs, you would also have the option to do editing, such as fixing problems or adding effects, and create a menu, if so desired.

Just thought I would mention that when using the scheme I gave you, you can move the videos around to suit. Also, if you import your discs into Nero Video but start out in Make Advanced Movie and then add them to the timeline, you can open the Arranging Screen and move the videos around in the sequence you wish. You can also edit as desired on the timeline. From there, you would identify the project as DVD-Video and you would end up where I said to start at. You could then proceed as I mentioned.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm