Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

How to convert XCP music files with Nero 2016 Classic? Or at all!

Hi! I'm brand new to Nero. I just installed the latest version of Nero 2016 Classic. I'm running Windows 10 with the August 2016 Anniversary Update. Here's the deal:

I have this great CD by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, "Howl." This is one of the few CDs encoded with the infamous XCP file type that turned out to act like a rootkit and open up computers to security problems, blah, blah, blah. All I want to do is recode/convert the music from .xcp to literally anything else that is playable (preferably directly to .mp3 or .wma as a second choice or .wav as a third choice). If you haven't ever seen one of these XCP CDs, you can NOT see the actual music files and you can't play them with your regular music software or burn a copy of the CD. They only play with a special built-in player on a computer (no phones or tablets).

An OLD forum (not this one) had a post on this (and even for the same CD as mine) and a reply said to use Nero. But this was YEARS ago. I can't figure out how to do this. Nero doesn't even find any of the XCP files on the CD. I've searched this forum and there's nothing on this issue.

Does anybody know if this is still something that Nero can do? Or do you know another program that will do this?
1 person has
this question
+1
  • I was talking about NT only yesterday: xcp files were the extension for certain commands in NT Server. How they got to be used for music files (and, I once heard, X-Box) I do not understand. That was about 2005. Now, nobody at Microsoft has ever heard of them.
    I would guess that the sad answer to your question is "you can't" unless you want to gamble your hard-earned on one of those "will open any file" programs & even then the answer could be the same.
    Better bet would be see if you can download the songs.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• XCP is Extended Copy Protection software that was used by Sony for some CD's. I couldn't find any CDs by BRMC which used it. The album "Howl" uses MediaMax CD-3. Both of these schemes install software on a Windows PC when a disc is played on it. The software is considered to be malware.
    • view 4 more comments
    • Recognize that Sony discontinued the use of XCP way back in 2006. That was about the same time as MediaMax CD-3 was being used by RCA.
    • I know--that's why I've been searching for a way to do this.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• SIDE NOTE: so i did another search on Google "how to convert xcp files"

THIS thread was the 6th result.

I guess that's what happens when trying to solve an 11 year-old problem that nobody else cares about anymore.

(sniff) :-(
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• TBP: "What U Hear" is a Creative peculiarity and yes, I meant a sound system although I do still have a working "Walkman".
    To test my theory, I put a CD into my old steam-driven Wxp laptop (the only one I've got), connected the headphone socket to the Line-in on this, W7 Realtek, machine and recorded it on Nero Wave Editor 12. Not the easiest way to go about things but it worked. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work between two laptops.
    Incidentally, we care. Although I must admit that BRMC didn't ever impress me but then I'm of the Who/Led Zep generation.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey, whoa, Lexitus! I've got very diverse tastes and I AM "of the Who/Led Zep generation!" But, like you (I assume), I have rather diverse tastes and still enjoy *some* new bands (let's be honest--the early 2000s through about 2014 sucked big except for a few gems like Wolfmother--ESPECIALLY if you like Led Zep!--and Muse and Florence and the Machine and Adele--I like pure singers).

Perhaps I exaggerated about BRMC? Honestly, I probably only have listened to it twice and when I tried to copy it, I probably didn't listen to more than the first song. It's not like they're Milli Vanilli, right?

So, since I started this thread (and thank you to all the people who replied), I did learn how to record something that was being played on my pc (i.e not from the source of the audio, but from the audio system on the pc--Realtek in my case) using another program (Audacity). Also, yes, that can be done like you said with using an external audio source (your Walkman), and apparently can even be done via "loop-back"--running a male-to-male 3.5mm stereo cable from the pc's speaker/headphone port *back into* the pc's microphone port. I haven't tried that but it apparently also works. However, I don't have a portable CD player and my "real" CD multi-disc player, which I hadn't even used for a few years and never got heavily used anyways, suddenly wasn't working when I tried it a few months ago (ditto my dual-cassette deck) so I couldn't try that.

Conclusion: I copied the CD, converting the audio to mp3 (for portable use, I'm not trying to remaster anything...) and...broke the CD in half so nobody finds it and goes through this, too (and also, if somebody has an older OS, it could create a security breach although at this point, I don't know if any of the malware "rootkit removal tools" still exist..
    • view 3 more comments
    • @Wither 1

I don't think you understood my question at all. I was not trying to remove XCP from my computer. I was trying to copy an XCP protected CD. It seems that XCP does NOT install on Win10, it just continues to block the music from being copied. And, on that note, I already explained how I solved it and the other solutions from @Lexitus.

And you're an idiot about Adele. You probably hate Joni Mitchell, Rikki Lee Jones, Feist, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amosl, Lisa Loeb, Billie Holiday, Florence and the Machine, and Astrid Gilberto, too (and you'd be an idiot about all of them, too).
    • I like Joni Mitchell and Billie Holiday and have some of their records. I'm not readily familiar with the others although Jones, McLachlan and Loeb ring a bell. I collected records of most genres primarily from the 40's through the 80's. For the most part, I quit collecting after the early 90's. I think the last newly issued 45 RPM I bought was by Celine Dionne in the late nineties or early 2000's. I bought a lot of CD's in the 2000's for my girl. My favorite record of all time is "Romance in the Dark" by the Diamonds (R&B).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm