Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

How to do drive backup with Backitup 2018

I have been running Nero 12 for a log time and have been very happy with it. I especially like the way Backitup can do a full drive backup, and then do either a full drive restore OR a single file restore.
I needed to back up my wife's computer so I just bought a copy of Nero 2108 Platinum. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to do a full drive (image) backup with this newer version of Backitup.
Am I missing something? If it won't do it, can I use the serial number from 2018 Platinum to install Backitup 12 on her computer?

Thanks.
-Rick
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi Rick-

The ability to do to a drive backup was discontinued after v12.

You can't use the serial number from one version of Nero in another version. The choice is obvious but I don't think you want to uninstall your version of Nero and install it on another computer.

By the way, I strongly suggest you create a bootable disc using the Backitup ImageTool to ensure you can restore a drive backup if you either lose a hard drive or you need to reinstall Windows after a drive wipe. The reason for that is that the job files for a backup are stored on the hard drive from which the backup was made. In the cases I mentioned, you will lose those job files so, even if you reinstall BackItUp, it won't be able to do the restore. The bootable disc will enable you to restore the backup without those files.

As a by the way, I do a special type of backup of my personal files every day using BackItUp 12 which obviates the above problem for file backups. I can give you the details of that, if you wish. However, I image my C:\ drive using the free Macrium Reflect. It also requires its own bootable disc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I’m disappointed
    Hi Wither-
    Thanks for the info. It looks like I just threw away my money when I ordered Nero Platinum 2018. Fortunately I was able to find an unopened copy of Nero 12 on eBay for 10 bucks.

Thanks for the tip about Macrium reflect, though!

-Rick
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• You can go to Cleverbridge and get a refund for v2018. I think Nero still has a 30-day, no questions asked, return policy. On the other hand, you might like some of the newer features in Nero Video which have accumulated since v12.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm