Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

If you perform the update to v2017, you will no longer be able to launch Nero MediaHome from any other version of Nero on your system.

After performing the update to v2017 and launching Nero MediaHome, there's a dialog box which tells you that you will no longer be able to use any other version of Nero MediaHome. Since I have v10 through v2017 on that system, I checked each one. All prior to v2017 try to start Nero MediaHome 2016 and fail due to the "unable to open the database file" error mentioned in another thread. I find this unacceptable. What happens if you no longer want Nero v2017 on a system like mine?

I also found that a shortcut on my taskbar to the KM\mediahome.exe file will fail due to the same error. I didn't try creating a new one yet.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• In my mind, v2015 is the best.

I'm not a programmer (that's obvious to all) but I don't understand why the update won't allow access to Nero HomeMedia 2017 from the older versions of Nero. After all, it's the replacement for KwikMedia in all those versions.

If I bought another computer, I could move my copy of v2017 to it. If I also used the computer which previously had v2017 installed for the older versions, would uninstalling v2017 allow access to NMH v2016? The good thing for me is that I can't install v2016 or v2017 on this Vista system.

I noticed Since5.5 isn't in here this morning so there's no comment.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Nero (Official Rep) October 27, 2016 07:48
    Hi Wither 1,

please insert 'web code 00059' into the search field of Nero KnowHow App.
    In the FAQ you will find a complete description of the scenario that is discussed here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since I don't have Win 10, I had to search for a site for know-how. I take exception with this in that discussion-

Note that you will not run into this issue when using Nero Launcher of a former Nero Suite product to start Nero MediaHome from there. In this case it will just start Nero MediaHome 2017 if the latest product is installed side by side.

I have all the Nero suites from v10 through v2017 installed on one system. The Nero MediaHome button in the launchers for v10 through v2016 still attempt to load Nero MediaHome 2016 and I receive the "unable to..." error message.

I noticed that there is a separate Nero MediaHome folder in the \Nero 2017 folder from which one can load NMH v2017 using the mediahome.exe. For all other versions, the file is in the \KM folder. Apparently, there is no redirect from the mediahome.exe in the \KM folder to that in the \Nero 2017\Nero MediaHome folder.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero (Official Rep) October 28, 2016 13:09
    Hi Wither 1,

thanks a lot for double-checking. We have fined tuned the FAQ text now.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That's fine and dandy but we're now back to the subject of this thread. Why not have the programmers make a change to the files in the KM folder to redirect to the Nero MediaHome folder?

The other issue is as I stated in a comment to Lucky Phil. What happens if you uninstall v2017 from a system that has the older versions installed? I guess, short of manually deleting the Nero folders from the \Local directory, one would be left with a non-functioning Nero MediaHome. It might even be more complicated than that.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm