Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Incorrect Handling of .WAV files by Nero 2014.

Please fix Nero SoundTrax, Nero 2014 Video, Nero 2014 Recode, Nero 2014 MediaHome, and Nero WaveEditor. See the below image.

1 person has
this problem
+1
  • How long is the wave-file?

I am asking, because:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav#RIFF...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Limitations

The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header (some programs limit the file size to 2 GB).[26] Although this is equivalent to about 6.8 hours of CD-quality audio (44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo), it is sometimes necessary to exceed this limit, especially when greater sampling rates or bit resolutions are required.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

So, for me, it sound like that the bug is, that nero video tries to create such a great wave-file - nero video should block the creation of wav-files in this case.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Jens:

I decided to open a new topic for this issue originally reported here. As I mentioned there, there should probably be at least a warning to the user if an attempt is made to save a .wav file with a length greater than 4 GB. That's one issue.

The 4h17m14s .wav file I used for this experiment is 2.53 GB. (Using my rough estimate of 0.6 GB per hour for 16 bit stereo at 44100 Hz, ~4.3 hours of audio yields about 2.58 GB - pretty close!).

So, it is well within the 4 GB limit and, in 2013, should be importable and playable in any "professionally" written application. As I mentioned in the other topic, some programs mistakenly read the file size in the .wav header as an signed integer rather than an unsigned integer. This mistake has apparently been made in Nero Video, Nero Recode, and Nero MediaHome.

Since WaveEditor and SoundTrax both import the file into 4h17m14s tracks, the error there is a bit more obscure. Although the track is the correct duration, the audio is garbled and/or misplaced.

As a side issue, there is really no need to use the file size in the header. So, theoretically, an application could import an "infinitely" long .wav audio file!

To summarize:

1. Nero Video exports .wav files with lengths over 4 GB without warning or error messages.
    2. Nero Recode exports .wav files with lengths over 4 GB without warning or error messages.
    3. Nero Video issues an error if an attempt is made to import a .wav file greater than 2 GB. Or, more correctly, it will not import .wav files that have a file length mod four GB greater than 2 GB.
    4. Nero Recode issues an error if an attempt is made to import a .wav file greater than 2 GB. Or, more correctly, it will not import .wav files that have a file length mod four GB greater than 2 GB.
    5. Nero HomeMedia issues an error if an attempt is made to import a .wav file greater than 2 GB. Or, more correctly, it will not import .wav files that have a file length mod four GB greater than 2 GB.
    6. Nero WaveEditor does not correctly import .wav files that are greater than 2 GB.
    7. Nero SoundTrax does not correctly import .wav files that are greater than 2 GB.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• > As a side issue, there is really no need to use the file size in the header. So, theoretically, an application could import an "infinitely" long .wav audio file!

No. As you can read in:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav#RIFF...
    A wav-file could contain different streams/chunks.
    If an application would ignore the headers, it would read a file with different streams as one block - you can image the result...

I will discuss this internally - but I think we will simply add an warning/error when trying to export a wav-file > 2GB, as also other applications might have problems with files >2GB
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens

I agree that, generally speaking, the file size in the header cannot be ignored, but, in the case of simple uncompressed (most) wav files, as I understand it, there is simply a file header, a format header, and a data header. But, anyway, I don't think it's a practical idea.

As to restricting program changes to the warning about making .wav files over 2 GB, that ignores the error in the Nero programs that prevent importing properly stored .wav files that are over 2 GB but less than 4 GB!

Remember the Blu-ray!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm