Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m confident that's going to make your life easier
Nero (Official Rep) May 15, 2014 15:25

May 15th 2014 - New online update available for Nero BackItUp 2014

Hi,

A new Nero BackItUp 2014 version went live today. It is available
- As installer package via our website www.nerobackitup.com
- As online update that can be acquired via Nero ControlCenter

A vast number of improvements - specifically around online backup - are included. Here are the highlights:

- No UI updates / progress indication on Windows Vista and Windows XP systems
- Online backup for single files >4GB failing
- Very high load on internet connection during online backup
- Online backups that seem to stall around 1% and never complete
- Backups restart from scratch on DST changes or when the time zone is changed

Best,
Patrick
  • Success

After today's update, I have been able to successfully perform:

1. A backup/restore cycle of a folder containing 2000 12 KB files. There were no errors reported and I verified the correctness of the restored files. (This is not new, but there were repeated problems with zero length files a couple of months ago).

2. A backup/restore cycle of a folder containing 5 774 MB files. There were no errors reported and I verified the correctness of the restored files. This is the first time this particular backup has succeeded. As reported in this forum, I have tried many, many times before. It failed every single time.

3. A backup/restore cycle of 5 1.5 GB files. There were no errors reported and I verified the correctness of the restored files. This is the first time this particular backup has succeeded. As reported in this forum, I have tried many, many times before. It failed every single time.

4. A backup of a folder containing 25 1.5 GB files. I don't have time to restore this backup until next week, so I cannot verify its total success. However, the files in the cloud all have the correct length and there were no failures during the upload. This is a first also.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Is this a joke?

In topic, Define continuous backup in backitup 2014, I mentioned:
    In any case, I have reported numerous problems with the software and cloud servers since January 26th when I first used it. At that point it had been released over 4 months and had been updated twice.
    [List of issues]
    Perhaps the biggest defect I have come across is my inability to backup a folder containing a few 1.5 GB files.

This last backup issue appears to have been fixed. I have now had time to restore and check the backup of 25 1.5 GB files mentioned in my post on May 15th above.

However, now that the software has been released and then updated for the third time, perhaps the biggest defect I have come across is the lack of reporting of restore failures. This one is probably on a par with being unable to complete a backup, or even worse. After all, what good is a backup if the restore fails and there is no notification?

What is particularly disturbing is that this wasn't noted during testing (if there was any)! Apparently, no one evaluates the software's performance when a failure occurs. IMHO, this makes the current version "non-releasable". And yet, it was "tested" and released, "tested" and updated the first time, "tested" and updated the second time, and, finally, "tested" and updated a third time.

I won't list all of the issues that have not been acknowledged or fixed, but I would like to note that I made four posts about the May 15th update within hours of its release. I received an acknowledgement of the "Success" I reported above in less than 3 hours. There has yet to be any acknowledgement of the others; in particular, there has been no acknowledgement of the report of "unreported restore failures" discussed here.

So, finally, here is a quote of my mentioning this problem on May 15th in topic Nero Cloud Backups Fail with No Indication using Nero 2014 BackItUp:

This topic was originally posted to report that backups leaving zero length files in the cloud were being reported as successful. This hasn't happened to me for a long while, before and after today's update.

However, a somewhat similar issue exists when restoring backups. If the restore fails, there is a notification that pops up for a few seconds in the lower right of the screen. After it disappears, there is no visible indication that a failure has occurred.

Will this bug be fixed? When?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited