Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

mediahome 2018 freezes then closes no error message

Installed Nero 2018 Platinum Suite and started using MediaHome.  Manually added the folders to search for media.  I've tried several times and it will find as many as 14000 pictures before the finding media operation freezes and the program closes immediately with no error message.  How do I determine what is causing the program to crash?
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi jtchance-

Not quite sure what's going on there unless, possibly, you have limited free space on your C: drive for temporary files that NMH creates when it's running.

You can run this past tech support by going here-

http://www.nero.com/enu/support/conta...

and submitting the contact form.

If you do, please let us know the solution.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This may be of more help.  Looks like a .Net problem.  Any suggestions?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The only comment I can make about that is I'm surprised it's using a very old version of .net framework. I would expect it to be 4.7 or later rather than 4.0. I assume you have all Windows updates installed.

The logs really don't tell me anything. The only reason I mentioned the space issue is because NMH generates the faces and thumbnails for all the files and other temporary files. I don't know how much free space is on your C: drive which is where those files are generated. You could run the Disk Cleanup utility from Accessories, System Tools. When it says how much free space it can recover, check the boxes for Temporary Files and Recycle Bin. When done, reboot. Since you have Win 10, the Trim function for your SSD should run automatically to remove the garbage.

Tech support would be better at interpreting those logs and assessing the problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’ve submitted a form to support, but haven’t heard back yet. I currently have 113GB free on my C: drive. I don’t think that is a problem because my free space decreased by only 1GB after adding a large chunk of my media (800GB+ of 1.04TB). I started adding one folder at a time and managed to have around 25000 pictures and 3000+ videos imported without the app crashing. I got to a particular folder and it started crashing.
    I’ve been looking through that folder, but it is just .jpg and .mov files backed up from an iPhone. I saw the access denied part in the log and couldn’t figure out why it says that because I’m owner of the files and have full control over the drive they’re on. After that I changed the default temp file location for MediaHome to another drive with 700GB+ free, but that also didn’t help. If it is like you say, how much free space do you think I would need for the temp files?
    • One thing I've always noticed is that, regardless of the free space on the C: drive, there seems to be a limit on the size of the temporary folders. Part of why I made the suggestion, just to check it out. Doesn't hurt to give it a try. Might not have anything to do with the problem but I was just scratching my head when you ran up on a limit and it was the best I could come up with.

How have you redirected the location of the temporary files? I don't see a specific path other than the BackItUp path. I should mention that NMH creates the faces and thumbnails in this path-

C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\

Since you've already had a problem, if temporary files is a possible cause, you would want to remove those that have already been generated.

That's a mighty nice system you have. Looks like something I would buy if I ever replace this desktop. I bought this customized system with the thought of not having to replace it for 10 years. Well, 10 years went by last January. On paper it's a dog of a system compared to what's out there today but, it does everything I need.

Out of curiousity, I wonder what "unknown" means for the RAM and SSD. Has nothing to do with your problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm