Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m upset

Nero 2016 - Nero Video Stopped Importing or Using Media in "My Media"

After an unspecified error that crashed Nero Video "My Media" does not allow me to import any video (or any media). It does this first with a flicker the 1st attempt and then nothing.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Uninstall/ reinstall does not work will try the Nero Clean Tool 5.0.0.18
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Hi Phillip,

It is possible that there is an issue with the "cache" files of Nero Video on your system ...

These can be deleted and will be re-created when you restart Nero Video.

Where to do the deleting:

(You would need to substitute your user name in the path to locate these folders.)

For Nero Video 2016 ...

(1)
    Delete the folder "Nero Vision" at
    C:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Nero\Nero 2016

(2)
    Delete the folder "SharedMediaData" at
    C:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Nero

(3)
    Delete the folder "Nero Vision" at
    C:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 2016

Then restart Nero Video and see if it works OK.

That structure above is normally "hidden" in Windows, so you might need to "unhide" files and folders from the C:\users\YOUR USER NAME
    downwards via changing the "View" options in Windows File Explorer to show hidden files.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I bought Nero 2016 yesterday for burning MP3 jukebox CDs for my car because I cannot stand Roxio. I thought I'd have a go at using the video part but until I saw Lucky Phil's solution I was unable to open any video at all. So, thanks Phil.

You'd think Nero would have a reset button somewhere to clear the cache. But the tools and options menus don't have anything.

I run windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 560s with a quad core 2.3Ghz intel cpu and 6Gb of memory and I find Nero very sluggish. Are there any tweaks I can do?

Meanwhile I'll stick to using VideoRedo to remove adverts from my recordings.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Just so I don't forget Phil's instructions I made a .BAT file containing this:-

rem script to clear out nero cache

del "C:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Nero\Nero 2016"
    del "C:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Nero"
    del "C:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 2016"

rem this one seems to be re-created too.
    del " C:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 12"
    pause

I created this using notepad and saved it as PurgeCache.bat somewhere I could remember (nero folder on my backup drive). The double quotes are essential in case there are spaces in the file paths.

I noticed another folder "Nero 12" which I removed when I did the first manual clean up. "Nero 12" has re-appeared since re-running the video editor. It appears to contain a bunch of xml files. I have no idea what they are for but they are obviously related to the movie I finally imported.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero Video/Vision has always been slow to start because it's a beast of a program. It should normally load within 30 seconds on most systems.

Of course, the kinds of things you can do to possibly speed that up is to make sure that there are no unnecessary programs loading during startup and running in the background. You can also run the Windows Disk Cleanup program periodically (select "temporary internet files" and "empty recycle bin" when it tells you how much space it can recover) and reboot. If you have an SSD, make sure the Trim function and garbage collection utilities are running. You might want to run those manually.

I'm not sure why you're getting a Nero 12 folder. There should be a Nero 11 folder that contains things like the Nero Content which are shared amongst v11 through v2016. I'm at a disadvantage because I have 7 versions of Nero installed on this system so the Nero 12 folder is there, per force.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for the reply. I'm not that worried about using the Nero Video - maybe I'll have a longer look at it when I can find more free time.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Normally, the apps other than Nero Video load relatively fast but my suggestions still apply.

I was thinking about Nero Video based on your comment about removing advertisements. You can do that in Nero Video but I figured you weren't using Nero Video to remove the advertisements because of the sluggish behavior.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm