Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero 2016 upgrade, but no product details?!

Any info on Nero 2016?

I got an e.mail asking me to spend $80 on upgrading sight-unseen, and even the website doesn't mention the new version.

C'mon, Nero, that's crazy. At least show me part of the meal if you want me to spring for it.
2 people have
this question
+1
    Similar story with their email offer today for me to buy Classic 2015 with a free upgrade to 2016 in September but very little information about what the new version will include. Plus, why target someone who has Nero Platinum 2015 already? Its not like I'm going to be that interested in the Classic version I would have thought. Very odd piece of marketing.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

In reality there is little to be gained in upgrading every year anyway - most of the changes are cosmetic.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Sometimes yes, sometimes no. When there are changes in basic formats, as with digital video, then that's more reason to upgrade -- although it does often take another version before support for new formats is robust.

But all the more reason why I'm surprised that Nero is asking people to upgrade without any information at all on changes or additions to the feature set.

Me, I'd almost be willing to upgrade for a revamped UI alone -- as long as it doesn't adopt the Windows 8 kiddie-toy look.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Trouble is, they are hooked on bringing out annual 'new releases' for what is basically now a very mature product, to keep the money rolling in.

If enough people are not taken in by the dodgy promotions and hype, they may then of course try to move to an annual licence model - as has already happened with Nero Backup and with the sister AVG products, and as Microsoft effectively now do for Office.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• You make good points, Gunslinger.

The big problem with ongoing software development, as I see it, is how to keep justifying upgrades and attempts to expand revenue streams without falling into the morass of feature bloat. The subscription model may be good for the vendor, but it almost certainly isn't for users -- at least as companies like Adobe implement it, where if you stop actively subscribing you not only lose ongoing access to new features but to functional software as a whole. I'll never buy into that.

Nero's obviously expanded significantly from its original disc-burning software with its push into multimedia. If it wants to develop, I think there's plenty of room for advancement with its audio editing capabilities and its digital media player -- and possibly others, though I don't use all the modules often enough to have a comprehensive overview. If Nero wants to push in new directions to guarantee revenue, I'd like to see it develop a media library/viewer -- something like Adobe's Bridge, but obviously not limited to proprietary or commercial partner formats like Bridge is -- with the ability to learn to recognise new media types; or, a Media Centre function to replace the one Microsoft has now removed from Windows.

I'm not averse to paying to upgrade the Nero suite, so long as the upgrade offers value. Should we infer from Nero's absence of detail that the 2016 doesn't have much of value to offer? From Nero's attempt to get people to pay both ahead of time and without specs of any changes, I'm inclined to think the answer is yes.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

They've just about exhausted what you can do with a media suite. I hardly ever burn a dvd disc these days and some of the free / shareware programmes for burning dvd's are probably all I need. They're having to push the other parts such as video editing and seriously, 4k? It's not taking off over here and is looking like its going the way of 3d. I would like to see them bring .sub encoding as I'm pretty deaf and can't watch anything without subs these days but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Offering Classic to someone who has Platinum seems like a barking idea. They haven't offered me Platinum 2016. All very odd.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Invite to upgrade received but like everyone else is saying - no details about the product. Very unusual. The PR firm that Nero use are hopeless beyond belief. I find that continually Nero's advertising and "specials" are very difficult to understand. As a Nero 2015 Platinum user, I continually get invites to upgrade? Now I can actually buy Nero 2015 Platinum at a special price and then receive Nero 2016 free. Whaaat?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Every time I let my copy of Platinum 2015 update, I get an "offer" to upgrade to Platinum 2015, so I wonder what they think I own. (Yes, my copy is registered.)

But I seem to have received a different e.mail from you folk: mine is a "VIP Special Offer" apparently asking me to buy 2016 outright. No mention of buying any version of 2015, and it also doesn't include the word "Upgrade" anywhere. So it's very confusing; what makes me a "VIP", if they don't realise I already have the current product?

Ah well. In a sense, I'm glad I'm not alone; in another sense, not.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Andrew that link takes you to the buy page. Do you have any info about the 2016 offering?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• No but the thing is you can't lose because I'm selling the Nero 2015 platinum. The price on the email is £64 but it's charging £39 and you get 30 day money back, unlike Nero 2015 the new one is fully windows 10 compatabl
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Andrew, do you already have Nero 2015? If not, and you're thinking of buying 2015 to get the upgrade to 2016, then won't the key to 2015 become unusable, because it'll be tied to your upgrade? Or are you thinking of selling your previous version of 2015 and buying a second copy?

All academic for me. The link I was sent was to buy 2016 outright -- pay now, and get a product link once it's shipped.

I wrote to Nero, asking for details on the product and whether they were offering an upgrade price for those of us who already have 2015, but they haven't bothered to reply. That's what bothers me the most -- this institutionalised indifference by Nero to getting it right with its own customers -- even more than the fact that so far Nero appears to be charging people $80 (which it seems to think is quite cheap) simply to get Windows 10 compatibility.
    • I have to wonder what it is they're not saying? Seriously, who would purchase something they already have on the promise of a free upgrade? When it's more than likely its the same programme with a few bells and whistles added for good measure. For instance have you ever used air burn? I haven't. If there are some major changes afoot why wouldn't they start promoting them at the same time as they're trying to sell you the new programme? This is some of the oddest marketing I've seen, or its absolutely brilliant getting everybody to buy the same programme again. Masterful. (probably not)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

What a lot of people don't understand is that Nero 2015 is already Windows 10 compatible so that's an advertising ploy. Complete rubbish. $80 is steep and if it is anything like when Nero 2015 was released, there was very little improvement overall. Some cosmetic changes appeared and compatibility with devices, but overall that may not be what people are really wanting or using in the main. Getting a reply from Nero won't happen in a hurry. I've waited over a week sometimes and even then, it's a textbook copy reply which I'd already tried or worked out myself.
    • They seem to be hiding something and appealing to their loyal user base to purchase again on the hope they get something new in the next few weeks time. There's plenty of us who have asked numerous times about .sub encoding and you can't even get a straight answer. Their reply 'its under consideration' is all we've had for years now. They don't respect their user base that's very obvious with the time it takes them to respond to queries and their non answers, and as you say their marketing is disingenuous at best. Not the company they were when I first found Nero products.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Two points:

1. in what sense is the existing Nero 15 NOT compatible with Windows 10?

2. the promotional email I have just received from Nero again uses the expression 'all new'. I don't know what advertising standards law is in Germany, but this is at best sharp practice, and possibly unlawful, unless the product is genuinely a completely new product from the bottom up. Not just an updated GUI, a few new camera/file formats, and one or two minor features, grafted onto an existing mature package - as at the least the past 2-3 iterations of the Nero product seem to have been. Perhaps a complaint to the UK ASA?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This just came in an email today.

Not a lot of 'additional features' in their power package if this is anything to go by.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I've got the same offer.And by the way that Nero 2015 blu ray player software has the problem with Windows 10,when I expected from Nero to solve this,they offer me something tottaly unproved.Sorry Nero,but my money is not cheap.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I sent an email to Nero support asking for what the differences were between 2015 and 2016, and they responded 'Not yet, I am sorry.
    The product will be released at the end of September."

I don't know why they think a person will upgrade when you don't know what you're getting.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

> "Not a lot of 'additional features' in their power package if this is anything to go by."

No. They're all functions the suite already performs. If these are "improved" somehow, then Nero needs to state very clearly how and why. If they have merely been expanded to include new formats in the same functionality, then that's a maintenance update; it doesn't constitute a paid upgrade.

> "I don't know why they think a person will upgrade when you don't know what you're getting."

Precisely. But also annoying and puzzling is that ... as far as I can tell, and something I mentioned in the OP, Nero is mailing existing users (obviously -- how else would they have our details?) but offering *new purchase* prices, not upgrades. $80 is not an upgrade price, even as a "special". Nero's campaign is cack-handed from the outset.

Kinda disappointing that none of the "Nero AG employees" on this forum have had anything to say on this matter, if only to clarify some of the many missing details. Wouldn't that be in Nero's interest?
    • I agree with all you said. I also think the non response from the 'Nero AG Employees' says it all really. Even the guy who says he doesn't have anything to do with Nero indicated he knows what they're taking out of this years update even if he won't say on the fear of death. Why he posted that I'm not exactly sure? He even suggested I email their customer or technical services department to see if recode will be able to handle .subs. I passed on that suggestion as I only really need to know if its actually been included at the time I might consider buying Nero 2016 and I'm no where near that decision at present. I felt I got burnt big time upgrading from Nero 2014 to 2015 and I won't be making that mistake again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I've also heard the upgrade price is different for some, my email said $ 49.99
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Really?!

Hmmm. Then I wonder what makes me so "special" that I'm only offered the higher price? I've had Nero since version 3, and I haven't had every version that's been released, but every copy I've had has been registered. So nice to be appreciated.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yea, I don't know, I purchased Platinum 2014, then upgraded later to 2015, the offer states:
    Nero 2016 Platinum will be released in September 2015. This offer is valid for the download version of Nero 2016 Platinum. When Nero 2016 Platinum is released, you will receive an e-mail with your serial number and the link to your free download. This offer is valid in Canada/USA/South America until September 21, 2015.

Since this is a download version only, I don't know if that makes a difference, I went to the website and it still shows my price at 49.99
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for that, Steve.

So, essentially the same offer -- the e.mail I received gives the same details of download once the product is released -- but with a different specified region and price.

($79.95 the Australian price for identical content?! We Aussies are used to such geotaxes, but that doesn't make them any less galling.)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The nonsense continues. Just got an invitation to buy the brand new Nero 2015 Platinum. Whaaat? 2015. Another complete PR blunder!!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just got an e.mail announcing "The Brand New Nero 2015 Platinum", but when you open it up it does say 2016. The e.mail says it's $79.95 (the supposedly-special price for buying pre-release), but the webpage that the e.mail opens to says it's $99.95. That alone breaks marketing laws in my country.

The webpage gives *some* details on new features, but they're pathetic -- change the colour of your Windows 10 launcher? Really?! That's an upgrade feature?! All cosmetic things like templates for CD printing. No word of new features or technical capabilities at all.

Clearly not a must-have upgrade, but a must-have-more-revenue one.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm