Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m annoyed

Nero 2017 Platinum: MediaBrowser prevents screen blanking

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 Bit, Nero 2017 Platinum

As long as MediaBrowser is active (even when running in the background) screen blanking is disabled.

Once I kill the MediaBrowser process, screen blanking occurs after the configured time delay.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hello Bert-

What are you doing that causes Nero MediaBrowser to run?
    • I see in your other thread that you say that Nero MediaHome is hanging. It may appear it's hanging if you have drive (s) or partitions in the Nero MediaHome Library. In that case, every time you open Nero MediaHome, it's going to try to find all media that's in those drives or partitions, which can take some time.
    • MediaBrowser starts when a directory is added to the library, and apparently continues to run "forever" after that, watching for changes to the content of the attached directories to update the library. That's what it's for, isn't it?

As to MediaHome "appearing" to hang, it's not just appearances. It's not being used for anything (there are no remote devices using DLNA services), it's not accumulating any CPU time or doing I/O, and the GUI is completely unresponsive to the keyboard. The only way to get it to go away is to terminate the process.

There's only one directory (and associated subdirectories) of music, which was added to the library "manually." After the initial search to add the contents, no changes have been made to that library.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• What I would like you to do, is to go here-

C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Local

Rename the Nero folder to Nero1 and the Nero_AG folder to Nero_AG1.

Restart Nero MediaHome. If it takes a long time to open, let it go. Once it opens, click on Options, Library. Remove any drives or partitions that are there. Manually, add the folder (s) containing media that you work with the most.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I never thought about what process runs to find media files when you open Nero MediaHome. It doesn't show the Nero MediaBrowser screen. I also don't see that screen when I add folders to the Library. That doesn't mean the Nero MediaBrowser isn't running. I just never thought about it.

How were you able to add a directory to the Library if you can't start Nero MediaHome? How large is the directory and how many sub-directories are there?

The process I gave you will wipe the Library so, if Nero MediaHome won't start, there's something else going on.

You can go here-

http://www.nero.com/enu/support/conta...

and submit the contact form to technical support.

In all likelihood, they'll ask you to reinstall v2017.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m still annoyed
    I was able to start MediaHome by being very gentle and patient with it.

The program is very fragile; any attempt to do anything with it while it's busy will cause it to crash or hang, even trying to minimize the window while it's doing its initial digesting of a directory of media files.

The software does not conform to accepted standards of how the GUI of a program should behave. There's no "hourglass" cursor displayed when the program is busy. If the program is not written to allow the GUI to be active while it's busy doing other things, that's an absolute requirement.

Perhaps the people who wrote this software think that the program should be able to handle such manipulation. If so, they need to do a little more testing.

If you want to know if MediaBrowser or the MediaHome server is running in the background (no GUI on the screen), simply start the Windows Task Manager and select the "Processes" tab.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When you start NMH, it should show that it's loading. When it gets past that, it will show what it's doing in the bottom left of the screen. For instance, it will show if it's finding media files or faces.

Whether or not I checkmark the box to start NMH at startup, it shows up in Processes. I don't see any other Nero process. I was going to mention that in one of your other threads but didn't because I'm not done messing with it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m still annoyed
    The MediaHome process is started via "Task Scheduler" and the task is set up to run when I (and no one else) logs on to the machine.

The actual command that's executed is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2017\Nero MediaHome\MediaHome.exe /autorunStream

But I am done messing with it. I'll just move my music library over to Plex, where I already have my video library set up.

Fortunately, I didn't have to pay much for the update from Nero 2014 to 2017, and if I have problems with the other Nero features that I use, re-installing 2014 is always an option.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• The mediahome.exe is the only file I saw running. AS said, the server is for streaming and it looks like that what the atuorun stream does.

You always have the option to ask tech support about it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Bert,

Concerning the original topic:

Nero MediaBrowser is started by Nero Video while importing files using it. While it is active, screen blanking is disabled. When the MediaBrowser dialog is closed, it is removed from the Task Manager process list and screen blanking is re-enabled. On my Windows 10 Pro system, the same behavior is exhibited by Nero MediaHome and Nero Burning ROM. However, two points:

1. If I start Nero MediaBrowser and then close it, it remains as a background task. Screen blanking is disabled until I manually terminate the process from Task Manager, similar to what you have reported.

2. I can't imagine any reason for screen blanking to be disabled when using MediaBrowser.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm