Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Nero 2018 imports .mp4 files as Audio instead of Video

I'm having issues importing .mp4 video files created on my Motorola cell phone to Nero 2018. These .mp4 imports as audio instead.

After copying these files to the local HDD, they import into Nero 2018 as Audio. They play as video in Windows Media Player.

Issue is consistent across Windows 7/Windows 10, before loading k-lite, after loading k-lite, and even with Nero 11. (This is one of the reasons we upgraded, and are still having the same issue...)

I believe these worked in Nero 11 before I had to reload my laptop. I'm assuming it was a patch or codec that I'd added that allowed them to work, but that would have been YEARS ago and lost in the reload.
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • I responded to you in this thread-

http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...

before realizing you had another thread.

Would you mind uploading one of your files to a cloud service and providing a link to it?

Post the link here rather than in that thread.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Moving to this thread.

Here's an ~15 second video. Plays properly in both Windows 7 and 10's Media Player. Will NOT import as video on Nero 2018

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvzs8u5un1e...

Please let me know what you find.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi Aaron, thx for providing the file. I can reproduce the issue. The MediaInfo tool shows AVC/AAC as video/audio codec so Nero Video Should not have a problem to import the file. I will check with the engineers. Could you please also provide the exact model number of the cell phone? This would be great.
    • view 16 more comments
    • Wither 1,

I guess I haven't made myself clear once again!

So, it's been months; there has been a Nero Video update; it hasn't been fixed; it's happened again; Nero knows; you remind them anyway (without providing a link, as usual); I did provide a link; there is no response; they could care less???
    • Hey, my pedicure takes precedence over searching for a thread. You did it for me and I thanked you. Geez, what do you want. :D
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I did some research on the AVC1 codec. I'll paraphrase a bit of the information I found.

AVC1 is H264 without the start codes in the bitstream. It is in mpg2 video format.

The bitstream consists of a sequence of network abstraction layer units (NALU) and, for other than AVC1, the start code prefixes each NALU. The start codes provide the information a decoder needs to parse the bitstream. For, H264 which does have the start codes and h264, X264 and x264 which all have the start codes, the files can be in four different video formats.

In the absence of the start code, each NALU is prefixed by a length field, which gives the length of the NALU in bytes.

I don’t know if the length field causes the problem for decoding AVC1 in Nero and some other software or if it is something else. That’s for the big boys.
    • view 1 more comment
    • It has to do with this thread because the codec ID is AVC1, as in the other thread. I also noticed that when I tried to run the file through GSpot, it could not render it because Direct Show threw an error. Could have something to do with the rendering problem in Nero.

The big boys are at Nero. Despite what you think, there are people who know more about these things than you do and Nero has some of them.
    • Wither 1,

The file provided by Aaron specifies the AVC1 FOURCC code. The file that I made from it specifies the AVC1 FOURCC code - in fact, the video stream has been copied from the original. One cannot be imported or played in Nero; the other can be imported and played in Nero.

Furthermore, as I have mentioned before, every AVC file made by Nero Video or Nero Recode specifies the AVC1 FOURCC code for the video stream.

So, your constant harping about the AVC1 FOURCC code is simply baffling!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• The article doesn't say anything about FourCC codes for AVC so I can't comment further.

When looking at a AVC file created in Nero vice the one from Aaron, the major difference is that the latter uses CABAC and the Nero file uses Baseline. However, that shouldn't make any difference unless the hardware in use can't handle CABAC. If I export a file using the AVCHD/Blu-ray settings from Nero, then CABAC is used but the CABAC data is different than in the AVC1-

However, since I don't know what the Android device settings are, it might be a comparison of apples and oranges.

I tried to read the file in GSpot on my other system and it won't render because DirectShow errors out, as it did on this system.

I don't know what changes XMedia makes and, as I said earlier, I don't know what in the AVC1 is causing the problem, not only in Nero but also other software.
    • view 3 more comments
    • Simply because I didn't remember seeing that codec in other video files provided from the forum for which we had the MediaInfo. Now I've seen two.
    • Wither 1,

You did say sometime in the past that you like to mess with people's minds!

Well, as I've posted repeatedly in this and other topics, the Codec ID 'avc1' appears in every AVC file Nero produces (with some exceptions!). The fact that the problem video file specifies Codec ID avc1 is obviously coincidental. (As stated above and elsewhere, remuxing the identical tracks works around the issue). If you truly can only remember ever seeing data from just two 'avc1' videos, that would seem to be a problem. Maybe an "age thing"?

In any case, it would seem that the problem is with the parsing of the container. Perhaps, there's an error in the container code? Well, there's all of those other programs that have no problem importing and editing or playing the file. So, I would think the problem is that the Nero code needs a little work.

Addendum

You may remember seeing something like this before:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I can't play the file in WMP in Win 7. I didn't try it in the Media Center. I wonder if having directx 12 influences that result since that's not available in Win 7.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Dear All, our engineers have checked the file and provided the following feedback: There are duplicated PixelAspectRatioBox defined in Header info VisualSampleEntryBox. In this case our decoder ignores the video track. We will change this for the next major version of the Nero Suite. Until than you will have to live with the workaround. I have asked the engineers to also check "Lars's file" from the other entry mentioned here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5,

In addition to the question above, there's the issue that the PASP block appears to be ignored even if there's only one? Here's Lars' video recoded to work in Nero and with two PASP modifications:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Omega Tester, the engineer who is checking the PASP block issue you reported above cannot reproduce your result. Would it be possible to provide the video files? This would be most appreciated.
    • view 1 more comment
    • My understanding is the first one...but it could be "lost in translation"...so if you still have the files it would be great.
    • Since5.5,

Seventeen days ago, you said, "our engineers have checked the file and provided the following feedback: There are duplicated PixelAspectRatioBox defined in Header info VisualSampleEntryBox". This was the first time in my life I heard about the PixelAspectRatioBox. Perhaps, what's lost in translation is the meaning of the word "engineer"?

If it's the first case above, please ask for and post a short video with a non-1x1 PASP that is properly displayed in Nero MediaHome. Or, in the second case, a video with a non-1x1 PASP that is ignored by Daum PotPlayer.

P.S. FYI, my impression of the goings-on between Nero and this forum and between Nero and its customers in general:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5,

A reminder

First, a review (since it's been almost two weeks). The above demonstration compares Daum PotPlayer to Nero MediaHome and shows that Nero ignores the PASP element of Lars' video even when there's only 1. Here's VLCPlayer vs MediaHome playing three versions of Aaron's video playing in Nero Media versus VLC Player:

On the left, VLC Player showing changes in aspect ratio for PASP 1x1, 1x2, and 2x1. The same three videos are shown on the right as displayed by Nero MediaHome with no change with the differing PASP contents.

Above, you said that, "the engineer who is checking the PASP block issue you reported above cannot reproduce your result" and asked that I provide the video files. I declined to do that and requested that the Nero engineer provide a video with a non-unity pixel aspect ratio that Nero MediaHome recognizes.

So, once again, would you please have them do that? It takes less than one minute to modify Lars' or Aaron's video. Then, maybe another minute to upload the video to a cloud service. Then, perhaps another minute to paste a link here in the forum.

Is that really too much to ask?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5 (Employee),

Above, on June 25th, I presented a case demonstrating "... the issue that the PASP block appears to be ignored even if there's only one" only to be told that an "engineer" couldn't duplicate the issue and, furthermore, that I should provide a video.

To rephrase my response above, it would take that engineer less than 1 minute to modify the PASP atom of LARS' or Aaron's video. Another minute to upload to the cloud and provide a link here.

Will that video be forthcoming?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5 (Employee),

I repeat:

Above, on June 25th, I presented a case demonstrating "... the issue that the PASP block appears to be ignored even if there's only one" only to be told that an "engineer" couldn't duplicate the issue and, furthermore, that I should provide a video.

To rephrase my response above, it would take that engineer less than 1 minute to modify the PASP atom of LARS' or Aaron's video. Another minute to upload to the cloud and provide a link here.

Will that video be forthcoming?

In case you're wondering why

Pretty much every time I've submitted an issue to Nero there has been an initial claim that it cannot be replicated! So, since it's happening here in the forum and the same claim has been made here, I would simply like Nero to demonstrate that their apps will recognize PASP modifications made to either of the files mentioned above (from Lars and Aaron). Please have the engineer that claims otherwise upload a modified video and provide a link in the forum.

Here's a summary of one example (of many) where my claim was initially (and repeatedly) denied. Note that I was told to consider reinstalling Windows!

A brief synopsis:

An issue with Nero 11 Recode was reported to Tech Support sometime before March 3, 2012.

On March 20, after weeks of back and forth, I received "This brings me to the same point as we were before. It seems that it is a System issue and you should consider to reinstall your Windows System completely new."

On March 22, with intervening mention of forum posts, he actually followed the instructions, replicated the problem, and stated, "I have now provide those information and your file to our developer so that they can reprocude this issue also and hopefully find the answer to this wierd behavior of Nero Recode."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm