Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero 2018 imports .mp4 files as Audio instead of Video

1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Tony,

An old thread which may be the same issue: Nero Video import problem. (No help).

I have Nero 2019, but if you upload an example to one of the cloud services and provide a link here others may be able to replicate the issue and/or suggest a way forward, If you don't have a cloud account to use, https://wetransfer.com offers free transfer of files under 2 GB; after uploading, click on the ellipses and then "Get a link". Post the link here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I read a the old thread, no help. This video was shot with a cell phone (Moto Z XT1650). When I drag a .mp4 video to the NeroVideo Video/Picture timeline, it snaps onto the Music timeline, instead of the Video/Picture. I tried several different .mp4 files without any success None of these .mp4 files from my phone would work.
    Here is an example file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folder...
    I have seen one other post with similar phone and same problem with no solution.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

Tony,

Please try your file after repackaging using XMediaRecode.

Your file had the same problem as the one in the referenced topic. If the new one works for you, you can download the free XMedia Recode and quickly "fix" your videos using the "MP4 (stream copy)" format.

Nero 2019 imports your file without an issue. They generally fix problems in the next version, but you could check for updates of Nero 2018.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I’m thankful
    Thank you for the response. I downloaded the free XMedia Recode program and tried it. It did work. This is a good work around for the problem I am experiencing.
    • Just to endorse Omega Tester's advice about XMedia ...

I had an mp4 file the other day that would not stream via Nero MediaPlayer but was fine on the PC using VLC to play it.

I used XMedia to convert it and it looks like the difference was in the bitrate?

Xmedia produced a lower bitrate file that was then happy to be streamed via nero MediaPlayer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I’m thankful
    Lucky Phil, I did stream the XMedia converted file on VLC, Nero Media Player and Microsoft Film and TV App. It worked on all three.

Just for curiousity I downloaded the free open source "OpenShot" movie maker program for windows and tried the (original) .mp4 file before the XMedia conversion and it did work.

I am happy and a long time Nero user and can use the extra step using XMedia conversion on my Moto Z mp4 files.
    Cheers
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Tony, Lucky Phil,

Tony's video had two PASP fields (as in last year's topic). A Since5.5 post from that topic:

Dear All, our engineers have checked the file and provided the following feedback: There are duplicated PixelAspectRatioBox defined in Header info VisualSampleEntryBox. In this case our decoder ignores the video track. We will change this for the next major version of the Nero Suite.

I did something last year to correct that but I can't remember what. So, today I simply changed the second PASP to PQSP, but I can't test it since I don't have Nero 2018 installed. (I'm assuming without verification that PQSP is not valid; it would be ignored.) All files can be imported properly by Nero 2019 Video.

The repackaged version from XMedia Recode has a single PASP field. I should also note that using the "MP4 (copy streams)" option does not change bitrates or any other video/audio characteristics; it simply creates a new container.

Here's the 'PQSP' file. Tony, if you have a few minutes, please download and try it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm