Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero 2018 Video Fails to Import .MP4 video file.

Nero 2018 Video faults importing this MP4 Video.

Windows Application Event Log entry:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 6/1/2018 2:23:49 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Toshiba
Description:
Faulting application name: NeroVision.exe, version: 19.1.3.14, time stamp: 0x5afa9f2b
Faulting module name: Nvdec.dll, version: 1.0.19.8, time stamp: 0x5a6a97f3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000ae0ae
Faulting process id: 0x1c84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3f9d4b1e20130
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2018\Nero Vision\NeroVision.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\SharedVideoCodecs\Nvdec.dll
Report Id: 2184eaea-68bd-4c1d-a411-accea0c8a0f8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Toshiba

NeroVision.exe
5afa9f2b
Nvdec.dll
5a6a97f3
c0000005
000ae0ae
1c84
01d3f9d4b1e20130
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2018\Nero Vision\NeroVision.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\SharedVideoCodecs\Nvdec.dll
2184eaea-68bd-4c1d-a411-accea0c8a0f8

Nero Recode and MediaHome simply crash with no error messages whatsoever, but they do leave similar event log entries behind.

A few examples of the many other programs that have no problem with the file.

Importing the file into the free OpenShot Video Editor:

Importing the file into the free Daum PotPlayer:

Importing the file into the free Windows Media Player:

2 people have
this problem
+1
  • It also fails to import in Nero Video 2016.
    (I don't have 2018)
    • Lucky Phil,

Thanks!
    • NP

Faulting application name: NeroVision.exe, version: 17.0.17.0, time stamp: 0x56d2f421
      Faulting module name: Nvdec.dll, version: 1.0.19.3, time stamp: 0x59c0e2fb
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x000ae0ae
      Faulting process ID: 0x2744
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d3fa120ef9a995
      Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2016\Nero Vision\NeroVision.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nero\SharedVideoCodecs\Nvdec.dll
      Report ID: aa878df8-583b-4b92-b183-be028d17405d
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• It also fails to open in v9, v10, v11, v12, and v2015.
    • view 2 more comments
    • Wither 1,

I interpreted your comment to mean that the beta installation disabled all previous versions, but I guess you really meant ALL versions!
    • The problem created by v2019 applies also to v2019. None of them will run because it says they're all non-licensed use. It didn't disable v10. I'm guessing that's because v10 doesn't share changes in Nero MediaHome and other apps which are replaced in their entirety when later versions are installed. All my serial numbers have been verified as fine in the Nero database. It all boils down to a problem with that Advr.....6.dll which doesn't even apply to some of those older versions (but Nero probably knows better). I purposely didn't run a system restore point or uninstall v2019 because I figure that would hinder their evaluation of the problem. I don't know if anyone else has tried the beta version. It doesn't seem that there's many people in their MVP program and, those that are, rarely contribute their experiences in the forum. Most of those people simply disappear.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Addendum

First, the video contains an MPEG-1 video stream and should be playable in Nero products. Here it is in VLC Player:

Here's a version with a VP9 video stream in VLC Player:

VLC Player displays an error dialog indicating that it doesn't recognize the video codec. For the MPEG-1 version, Nero programs generate an exception! As indicated above, Nero Recode and Nero MediaHome simply exit with absolutely no clue as to what went wrong. Nero Video displays a Windows generated error dialog indicating that it is crashing.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• We already know that VP9 is not supported. But, that's a .wtv format. Your file is a mpeg video.
    • view 4 more comments
    • Wither 1,

And, you criticize the other beta testers?
    • Wither 1,

Oops! I thought you said that VP9 was a WMV format. Upon further review, I see that you say it's a WTV format. Nope!

Will you be using XMedia Recode to create your own test file? Do you expect Lucky Phil to spend his time acting on your suggestion?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I had assumed that, since you used the Flower Meadow video, you had created the final file in Nero. If you had and it generated the file that you have provided, then I would test. Here's the codec I'm talking about-

It's quite apparent that Nero doesn't recognize that codec so there's no need to go any further with it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither 1,

You do realize that it was me who created the test file? (Incidentally, it was only one of many).

You do realize that I have the MediaInfo program? And, moreover, have recommended the use of the browser version to no avail?

You do realize that you said the problem was a mpv4-6a codec?

You do realize that the VP9 codec was only mentioned to illustrate that VLC Player presents an error dialog for a codec it doesn't implement - Nero crashes without a clue when it encounters a codec it doesn't implement. Incidentally, have you looked up the VP9 codec yet?

Now, it's "It's quite apparent that Nero doesn't recognize that codec so there's no need to go any further with it". What is that about? This topic is about a bug (or bugs) in Nero. They say:

"Supported File/Container Import Formats*

Video
    3gp, asf, avi, divx, f4a, f4b, f4p, f4v, flv, m2ts, m2t, mts, ts, mkv, mov, mp4, mpe, mpg, mpeg, vob, m4v, tod, trp, wmv, mod, mpv2, nd, nvavi, ogm, dvr-ms, dv, ogv, ogg, mmv, dat, ifo, m1v, m2p, m2t, m2v, mmv
    "

Now, when presented with a MP4 container, the applications crash. That's simply wrong!

It's difficult for me to understand your intention here. I've posted numerous bugs in the forum. For the most part they attract no interest whatsoever, not from other users and not from Nero. Now, Lucky Phil very kindly takes an interest and posts a reply. Suddenly there you are! And, it's been nothing but obfuscation since! Is that intentional?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The mp4v-6a is the codec for your mpeg file, not the VP9. I simply used the tree view in MediaInfo.

I was testing your file in Nero when Lucky Phil posted. I just wanted you to know that the problem isn't restricted to v2018. I guess that means I'm not "kindly" as well.

I'll leave it alone.
    • Wither 1,

There are a host of other bug posts from me. If you want to demonstrate a willingness to help, please feel free to replicate them.

In case you have been wondering how I found this bug, I have you to thank. You've been confusing container formats with video compression formats so much lately, I was interested in finding out just what types of video streams are permitted in an MP4 container. Etc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm