Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Nero 2019 control centre missing

I just submitted this to Nero support - anyone else seen this or know of solution?
"Just bought Nero 2019 – it standalone – so uninstalled Nero 2018 and cleaned old files (it did have a problem uninstalling cleanly, I did look for a “uninstall utility” from you.. but found none)
So I did an “change” install and uninstalled each component (which worked) and then tried uninstall “nero 2018” but it still failed (with a very helpful “something went wrong” type message!!!).. so I deleted all files manually and ran Ccleaner for a registry tidy up. Looks like the old msi files are still around (I did not attempt to find/remove them)

Anyway – I then installed 2019 (and your installer direct from the Stub was RUBBISH).. so I cleaned up, rebooted and did a clean install again, from the install file (I asked to download from the stub install).
It went through OK.. but my first job is to run the control center to see if any updated required.. but there was no “Nero Controlcentre” in the menu.
I started “nero start” and tried to launch control centre from there.. but that did not work either (did not show an error.. just did not start anything)
I cant see any Nero control centre type directory in the install file location.. So I am stuck, and VERY unimpressed (close to asking for money back).
My machine is a very clean Win 10 Pro 1903 installation (so it really annoys me when software does not install correctly)."
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Update .. feedback from Nero was to use their "First Aid Kit" to do clean uninstall - and then do the install.. My experience/feedback was:

Thanks you for your reply

Please let me provide you some feedback on your guidance.

1. In my original email – I said I looked for an uninstall utility on your web site and said I could not find one. I did find your “First aid kit”.. but your web site says it only for old versions of Nero. You REALLY should get that updated to provide correct info.

2. But worse than this.. I did actually try it.. but it SO BAD..and in context of info saying it only for old versions I assumed it completely incompatible with my machine and Nero 2019.. when trying to use it I was presented with (both when I tried it first – and when I tried the version you linked) this!!!!

What the hell is that?
    I just had to guess what it was saying .. and guess which was the button to proceed... (god knows what the tick box does.. I left it unticked)
    3. And towards end.. I got this!!!

Which when I clicked “Yes”, rebooted my machine.
    4. The good news is – that it did seem to remove most of my old installation (which is good)... but it clearly left old license SN info (which is Bad) but on the whole, it enabled me to do a clean install.. and the Control Center was in place and available (so that’s good)

5. So thank you for your help.. but my experience gives me VERY LITTLE faith in the quality of your products ☹

Thanks again and best regards
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Who at Nero support gave you that link? I can't access it and it's for the Nero General Clean Tool that's only used to uninstall the three versions mentioned because they didn't use a Windows installer.

There is a later FirstAid Kit.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Here is the exact link they gave me..

https://nerosupport.freshdesk.com/en/...

It looks to just have a link (which still works for me) to what I presume is the same "first aid kit" you get from the search I did on their web site (and showed in my reply).
    But as I said - the one they linked,.. and the one from their site... both behaved in the bad way I described in my above post.

Anyway - good luck.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• This is what I found at that website for uninstalling all previous versions-

It provides a .zip file. The FirstAid Kit is v20.0.1.18 so that's the latest. Not sure how you got to the Nero General Clean tool.

Sorry that you got the wrong file.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Sorry - but you need to explain what you talking about.
    The link you provided is the same as the one I said I got from Nero support,
    The text says its to removal all trace of Nero... but the link within it is to the "First aid Kit"
    So why are you talking about "Not sure how you got the Nero General Clean tool"?
    and saying I got the wrong file? You can clearly see from my screen shots.. I was using the "first aid kit".

And why you add a comment "report the web page to your high-level contacts at Nero" - what you mean? I am just a user who contacted Nero support? and posted here so others could learn from my experience.

Not sure you are helping.. you seem to be just trying to confuse anyone else coming to this thread.

Can you please explain... nice and clearly. And may be delete your posts if you agree you are just confusing things.

Thanks
    • view 3 more comments
    • Justin,

I have the same operating system:

• Just on that blank dialog box ... after I installed the very latest Windows cumulative update - August 13, 2019—KB4512508 (OS Build 18362.295) - my dialog boxes on some apps were experiencing the same blank look.

I gather that something stuffed up with some Visual studio built apps with this last update from Microsoft ... however, after I did a Windows restart ... all came good again with those dialog boxes.

I read somewhere that others have been affected by this latest update and a "fix" is coming out soon from Microsoft to address issues with Visual Studio built apps?

Anyhow ... I concur that Nero needs to fix the wording about the FirstAidKit.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This is what I said previously-

"This is what I found at that website for uninstalling all previous versions-

It provides a .zip file. The FirstAid Kit is v20.0.1.18 so that's the latest. Not sure how you got to the Nero General Clean tool.

Sorry that you got the wrong file."

All I did was click on the .zip file and it downloaded. Didn't take me to any other website. I also mentioned earlier that I couldn't get to the website that Justin found. I could get to it from the link that Omega Tester posted.

I downloaded from that link and it shows the same version (20.0.1.18).

I have a different copy of the FirstAid Kit on my system which is v15.0.0.20. I think it was posted in a thread by Since5.5 as a test copy. . It's the one I have been giving people but I don't know if it's the same one as v20........
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• @Wither and @Omega tester
    Yes - sorry - I think I got my eyes crossed on who was answering what.

@Lucky Phil - interesting - I can say my experience would have been after 13th Aug (so after patch Tuesday) but my machine would have been rebooted (I always install immediately on patch tues.. and always reboot immediately after).

@Since5.5 - thanks..
    • view 1 more comment
    • OK - well - I just retested and I still get it all showing blank per my screen shots above) and my machine would have been rebooted about 10 time since the update by now (I reboot every day). FirstAidkit version is 20.0.1.18
    • Sidebar

Googling for 'blank areas on windows dialogs' returns many instances of this type of thing happening over many years and Windows version. Here's one: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/empty-...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm