Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero Burning ROM 2017 exits on start

Nero Burning ROM 2017 briefly opens the splash dialog, then the main window, then quits. It is not usable! 2014 version worked fine. 2017 version has always been doing this since the upgrade. This is Windows 10 x64.
2 people have
this question
+1
  • Look in Control panel, Programs, Programs and Features. Are Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 and 2012 installed?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• No, it shows 2012, but no 2015, as attached.

Should I install the x86 or x64 version?

Can this perhaps be escalated as a bug, so that the next update shows an error message detailing what is missing? Then customers could solve this without annoying your support :)

P.S.: Note that this forum thread gives a security error (certificate host does not match site host) when opened from Get Satisfaction... All in all, not a polished experience!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• You should install the (x86) version of C++ 2015 redistributable Update 3.
    • I don't know about the standalone 2017 versions but the installation of the v2017 suites will install the C++ 2015 redistributable. I didn't know there is a C++ 2017 redistributable but as said, it wouldn't be installed by Nero.

If you want to escalate this, then you would need to go to tech support. I'm just a volunteer user that tries to help people with the software.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for your help!

> You should install the (x86) version of C++ 2015 redistributable Update 3.

That installation fails with error 0x80070666 as attached. It says there is another version installed, except that from the previous screenshot we saw that this didn't seem to be the case.

Possibly the Nero installer also tried installing it, and it silently failed? Maybe it can't be installed on a system with Visual Studio 2017?

Sorry if I thought you were from Nero, I saw the "Nero" in the profile picture :)

So, how do you contact Nero support? From my recollection it links to here, that's how I ended up posting..

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• For sure it can be installed on a system that runs VS 2017
    See attached Screenshot.
    You don ́t need C++ 2015 Redistributable.

When that happens is there any error message or it just close Nero Burning Rom?
    And what kind of update ? Creators Update???
    • view 2 more comments
    • > Nero V2017 installs the C++ 2015 redistributable

OK, but per the thread I cited, isn't it the 2015 redistributable that refuses to install, also when used by another installer?

My original screenshot shows that the 2015 redistributable was not installed, and that was after the Nero 2017 installation. I also did a check for updates, and it did install some updates, even if my nero setup files where the latest version available.
    • I understand. The problem you're having is characteristic of a problem with c++ redistributable installations. I looked at the c++ 2017 release notes but don't see anything that will be helpful. It may be uninstalling c++ 2015. Since c++ 2017 was just released, I doubt that it was available when Nero was preparing v2017. I'm waiting for Jbass to get back to us.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Since Jbass' screenshot showed the VCC 2017 redistributables, I also tried manually installing them (x86 and x64, v. 14.10.25017), but Nero Burning ROM 2017 still quits in the same way on startup.

Note that apps like Nero Control Center 2017, Nero Recode 2017 seem to work fine.
    • I was going to recommend that you uninstall the c++ 2017 redistributable and then run the Nero installation because, as I mentioned earlier, Nero v2017 installs the c++ 2015 redistributable. I didn't because I was waiting for Jbass to look into it further. However, I found this-

https://developercommunity.visualstud...

which reinforces what I thought is the best approach. There's no harm in trying it since you can either reinstall the c++ 2017 redistributable manually or do it through the Windows Updater.
    • Remember that I installed the VCC 2017 redistributables because the VCC 2015 ones can't be installed (because Visual Studio 2017 itself contains 2017 components, thus the 2015 redistributable installer gives an error per my screenshot)...

I think at this point I'll just uninstall Nero 2017, and reinstall the 2014 version.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• mikelabatt,

If you have Nero Express, does it start?

I have problems with Nero Burning ROM behaving erratically and crashing when trying to select files. See topic Nero 2017 BurningROM Behaving Erratically.

There is also a bug introduced with the last Burning ROM "update" as described in topic cue not working nero 17 . if you try to burn cd it says disc is too small. This happen after first update. Worked in original version..

I have reported both of these issues to Tech Support but no resolution is forthcoming. However, it may help if you were to do the same?

Support Issues

Help with issues involving recent Nero versions can be obtained directly from Nero by using the email contact form at Technical Support via e-mail. This requires a valid product serial number which has the form XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (8 groups of 4 characters/digits separated by dashes. Note: The serial number will not have the letter 'O'. Since this is a public forum, DO NOT post your serial number. If your serial number is not accepted, use the contact form at Nero Customer Service.

P.S. I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1703 (Creator) with C++ redist 2017 and no C++ redist 2015.
    • view 2 more comments
    • I have Nero 2017 Platinum. No entries in the Application log, thanks for the tip.

The issue I am experiencing is more like a silent, instant exit after the red splash banner and the main window briefly opening, I am not getting any crash dialogs. There is no time to select any program function.
    • mikelabatt,

Have you tried using Nero Express?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I asked Nero to look into the problem in regards to entering your e-mail address. Perhaps, they'll fix that and possibly continue to help here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I solved this problem, and it was not related to Visual C++ redistributables. As soon as I attached a USB-connected Blu ray recorder, Nero Burning ROM 2017 started fine without exiting, and worked normally.

It might be that that external recorder was the last peripheral I had used with the 2014 version, I can't tell for sure now. But the PC always had another internal recorder.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• mikelabatt,

Am I correct that it still doesn't work if the external recorder is not connected? If not, then I would have thunk it isn't "fixed".

Do both recorders work when the external recorder is connected? I.E., can discs be copied back and forth between them?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm