Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero Platinum 2018 vs NERO 9 = 9 was 'simple' and only had the stuff I use.

So what's the problem? After being forced by Nero to give up my rarely used NERO 9 that was simple to use and light sized on the computer, I gave into buying their Platinum 2018 about 2 hours ago because they made Nero 9 uninstall-able! Been loading this crap back and forth, upside, downside, around front, out back, on a brand new Dell Win 10. Will my new computer work after all this? Where is the easy to navigate StartSmart, where is the easy to use Photo Snap Viewer?
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • Tell management to sell me a working fully functional Nero 9 and they can have this one back.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. Between Nero 9 and Nero 2018 a time span of 10 years passed and our customers, Windows and the way of working with computers has chnaged a lot. The Nero Launcher Screen has information about all the modules included and with the "Play icon" beside each and any applictaion you will find plenty of tutorials to guide you. Plus there is even an addiational app called "Nero KnowHow" you will find it in the Windows Store and it includes even more tips an tricks. I hope thsi will help you to find you way round.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• In another thread, I helped Robert get v9 fully installed so I don't know why he says here that it's uninstallable. However, he elected to uninstall it and then had another problem reinstalling it. I was going to work with him on reinstalling it but he decided to opt for v2018.

I identified some of the things he would lose the ability to do by going to v2018 in that thread. I didn't mention that PhotoSnap is no longer available (after v9). Some photo editing can be done in Nero MediaHome but the options aren't as great as in PhotoSnap.

In addition, he found out, StartSmart was discontinued (after v10). It is most recently replaced by the Nero Launcher.

As long as I'm mentioning things, Backitup and Burn in v9 has far more options that the recent carnation of Backitup.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• So I took a chance and installed Nero 9 in the regular program area on my new Win 10 machine. Once I saw you could direct the installation by choosing custom at the install screen.... everything worked - that is, before I restarted it today. I checked Wave Editor, Vision and even went up to the Menus with a video and everything worked fine with the New Platinum 2018 version installed into programs (86). Both were on here and 9 was working fine. So why today does Vision give me this notice and is there any way around it? Since5.5 or Wither1.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• I'm thinking it's related to the C++ redistributables. However, if he would, I'd rather that Since5.5 address this issue even though Nero no longer supports v9.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Robert-

Do you want to work with me on this problem?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• Sure, I think the other person can't because of liability issues (my theory). BTW, I tried a 2010 runtime library download from Microsoft but it would not load, instead it gave a message that the one installed is newer so it couldn't install.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Your theory is incorrect. The other person won't be around for a significant period of time so won't be responding. As I mentioned, Nero no longer supports v9 (or v2016 and earlier).

v9 would have used C++ 2005 and, I think, C++ 2008. x86 versions in all cases.

I assume that C++ updates are like .net framework updates in that each update encompasses one or more previous updates.

Do you have those two C++ versions installed? The last C++ 2005 version would be v8.0.59193. The C++ 2008 version would be v9.0.30729.6161.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• After installing both 05 and 08 (settings on Win 7), I tried V9 Nero Vision and got the same message. Thinking that maybe now it would take 2010, I tried that but got the message I had gotten before = "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." Resolve. I don't know where these libraries are located do you? If the 2010 is already on here then I would think that is not the issue but who knows.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Keep in mind the Nero 9 I have installed is the version off my DVD from the original store bought package. For some reason the site would not let me download the updated Nero 9. As I said earlier everything in the package DVD is working and showing all the things in Wave Editor. But now Vision throws this message up, "runtime terminated in a strange way."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• This is an interesting sentence from the error message above, "Please contact the application's support team for more information (on the runtime terminating weirdly)."

I also ran across a person who laid out a way to increase the runtime by entering dos. I did that also and it made no difference. BTW, here is a screenshot of the libraries that show up in the programs.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Another person that encountered this said it was Nero who put the skids to it, because they did not sell you V9 so that you could keep using it forever and ever on whatever new computer you found you had to buy. What do you think about this Wither1 ?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero has never done anything to sabotage installations of previous versions. They have encouraged people to upgrade but that's expected since a business can only go on if it continues to receive new money. On the other hand, they have made some very nice changes in Nero Vision/Video and have actually made a few fixes that were in the older versions. In regards to the latter, their have many problems in previous versions that they haven't fixed. For v9, they were in a very responsive mode, unlike today, in fixing problems within a specific version. I will say they've been better with v2018.

I didn't look at the other thread but I think I specifically asked you to download and install the version at Previous Products Downloads. I think you had done that and reported to me that everything was working properly, except for .wma in WaveEditor, which is a Win 10 problem. It is important to do that because installing versions from an old disc doesn't account for changes in operating systems and things like C++ and .net framework. if I remember correctly, the version on your disc isn't even Win 7 compatible.

The error messages you're getting in regards to C++ are probably a result of C++ 2017 being installed. You can uninstall it to do things like install earlier versions of C++ and it will be reinstalled by updating Win 10.

There are a lot of possible reasons for the runtime error. It's a little late tonight and I haven't decided which direction we should go except that you shouldn't be using the disc you have for the installation. Will get back to you tomorrow. In the meantime, which versions of .net framework do you have installed?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• What I am finding is = it is a compatibility issue and a permissions problem. When I go to the Nero program folder, then go to Vision, find the executable application, select properties (the compatibility is set to Win 7) then select run as administrator Vision loads and runs okay except that the screen is smaller than normal. If I select Vision from StartSmart I always get the runtime error and it will go no further. BTW these are the libraries I have now. Pictured.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I'm headed out to cut some grass and other things but go here-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 9\Nero StartSmart

Find the Nerostartsmart.exe

In the Properties, check to make sure it's set to Win 7 compatibility. Change and Apply, if necessary. In addition, check the box to "run this program as administrator."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• After changing StartSmart to Win 7 (it was defaulted at Vista) all users, now Vision works but at a reduced screen size maybe 80% or less. An interesting thing also Photosnap, Wave & Soundtrax are set with properties at Vista and they work fine.

I have thought about reinstalling NERO 9, all the C++ libraries (maybe up to 2010) with all their properties set for all users at Vista.... but right now I think I can live with it, especially no more than I use it. BTW, I would not want to get the updated Nero 9 from their site Wither1 because as you remember the encoder in Wave for WindowsMA (wma) is definately missing and that is something I use. It is not missing off my disc that I am now running. They dropped it out of that update download.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Don't reinstall v9. You've had it successfully twice and uninstalled it, leading to this thread.

Are you saying that .wma encoding/decoding is available now, using your old version 9?

They didn't drop it out of that download. I used that same file and the later updates with no problems with .wma. That's in Vista.

When you have Nero Vision running and it's shown in the system tray, right click on it and select Maximize. Does that help?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Update: I went to bed and tried Vision again today and it screws up and gives the runtime error. Surprise! ~ Call it gremlins, sabatoge or whatever, it happened.

My answer to your question is Yes. But I disagree with your other experience next to mine because what was downloaded to my new Win 10 machine = the encoder in Wave was gone and now Nero offers a stand-alone product.

Today.... my most recent experience is when Vision loads correctly without the runtime error.... if I click on the icon in the system tray there isn't any maximize setting to select. So I am not sure why it doesn't show on my Win 10, but it doesn't.

Another tidbit I experienced today = When Vision gives the runtime error, if I restart the computer and then try it again, no runtime. After doing that Vision will work but if I do it twice it won't and you have to restart. BTW, everything in v9 is set to Vista. I chose to do that because everything else was defaulted to it. If I change to Win 7 I get the same experience. I've been goofing around with this for a long long time and maybe I should consider writing a book. Any new ideas. I can do restarts until Jesus comes back so if I have to live with it like that I am okay with that.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• WaveEditor in v9 is not affected when one installs the free standalone. Ditto for v10 and v11. The free version also wasn't originally included in v12. However, when one installs the free standalone, it replaces the v12 version.

You''re saying that you can save something like a mp3 file to .wma in WaveEditor for v9. Is that true?

I don't know why rebooting fixes the runtime problem. I'm going to get out of here for the evening. Back tomorrow.

By the way, you can get a refund for v2018 with no questions asked within 30 days of purchase. Been meaning to tell you that.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• With all the time spent on trying to get v9 to work it's become a challenge like rebuilding a electronics circuit board. I do not understand either but I kept after both and got them to working. I'm going to keep v2018 as a back up but what I saw I did not like. I like the simplicity of v9 a lot better when it works right.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't understand "I kept after both and got them to working."

You didn't answer my question.

You need to update v9 to have any chance of it working correctly. There were 5 updates after the initial issue. There were multiple changes in practically every app in v9. Some are documented but Nero doesn't always say what other things they may have done. As a result, I think you need to download and install the version from downloads. If you do that, I'll give you the last update.

As far as I'm concerned, the .wma issue is a Win 10 problem. That's covered in the other thread.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither1 said, "I don't understand "I kept after both and got them to working." Just making a comparison. #1. I stuck with the electronics that needed to be replaced on a guitar amplifier and got it working again. It was complex for me because I know little when it comes to electronics. Number 2 = I got wma encoder back into NERO 9 by just using my original disc. Why did I do that? Because the download that you claim has the wma encoder, in which you also state, "has gone under a few changes", no longer will give wma encoder in that update.

Not sure why you think I would 'lie' about that but what I have experienced is the truth. And it has nothing to do with Win 10. How do I know that? Answer: Because wma encoder is on my computer right now (2018) from the disc that I own. There has been no change with Win 10, so you must conclude that NERO dropped it out of the download that is currently available this year (2018).

If you want wma encoder in Wave Editor the only way you can get it is to use your own original disc not their download of Nero 9 (2018). Here is what it looks like today July 31, 2018. Not a lie.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I didn't think you were lying. I just wanted to know if it showed up and if you can actually use it. Have you tried encoding with it?

The only reason I can think of that the version from your disc would work is that it's a pre-Win 7 version. The version in the download made it Win 7 compatible, Although that shouldn't matter, because .wma is available in Win 7. Note that I run v9 in Vista. I only have one serial number and I haven't moved it to Win 7.

Out of curiousity, open Burning Rom and select Cancel. In Help, About........., what is the version number?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• No, I haven't tried to encode anything but I did burn a short dvd of a train ride my buddy and I took, it worked fine. Burning Rom says 2008 9.0.9.4.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You have the first version of v9.

I'm glad you were able to burn the DVD.

Two outstanding issues are the size of the Nero Vision screen and .wma in WaveEditor. In the first case, do you have the minimize and maximize buttons in the upper right hand corner of the Nero Vision screen?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I know I've written and reported a lot of things concerning my Nero 9. Right now the only thing is the screen size in Vision and yes the buttons are there. I'm thinking it's not a big deal no more than I ever use it. The wma encoder is in Wave, although I haven't tried it but I assume it works. So my only unusual thing at this point is Vision size, everything else loads and I assume works.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When you have Nero Vision open, Click on the Windows key and the (+) sign. Change the magnification. The change is temporary however, since you don't use it that often, it's just a minor inconvenience.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm