Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Nero Video 2016 crashes if the total runtime of all files exceeds 5 hours

Nero Video 2016 crashes if the total runtime of all files exceeds 5 hours. The total number of files doesn't matter, nor does the aspect ratio or resolution. Could someone help?
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi Tomáš,
    I assume you are attempting to burn to a DL Blu-Ray disc?
    It might fir on a standard Blu-Ray ...but trying to cram 5 hrs onto a smaller disc would probably result in poor quality.

The settings to check would be that you have the correct disc type selected and that you disable "SmartEncoding" and choose in Quality: "Automatic - fit to disc" ... to see if that makes any difference?

• (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I’m frustrated
    I'm trying to burn to a single-layer DVD. There won't be that much of a loss in quality, since I'm burning an old TV in 4:3 360p resolution.

The total size of the videos I want to do is 4.2 GB, but they run for almost 6 hours, and Nero crashes if I put more than 5 hours.

It doesn't give me error message, it just stops working, and it does so immediately as I import the video.

It doesn't matter whether I import the files directly, or combine them using Nero Video's "Make Movie" feature. The total number of videos also doesn't seem to matter.

The problem went away when I changed the Disc Format to DVD-9, however then the Video_TS folder has almost 9GB, since it's supposed to be on dual layer DVD.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• The problem is that you can only get about an hour and a half of video on a SL DVD.

In the recording format options shown in Lucky Phil's screenshot, change the Automatic Fit to Disc to Super Long Play.

Does that work?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I will try that.

I have managed to fit a lot more hours than 1.5 before. Few of the DVDs I have have over 14 hours on them, albeit burned only as individual files, and not with menus.
    • view 2 more comments
    • I have changed what you said to change. Nero no longer crashes once I upload over 5 hours, but instead it tells me it wont fit on the disc and asks whether it should compress the videos. When I click yes, Nero crashes like before.

I really don't get what is the thing's problem. The videos take up less than 4.2GB on disc (with audio included). Why can't I fit them on a 4.7GB dvd?
    • The problem is that they have to be encoded to a structure which is compliant with the DVD-Video standard. That usually increases the size on the disc. If I remember correctly, something like 5 to 6 hours is the maximum, no matter what you do. I think you're finding that out first hand.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2016-11-02.
    see the change log