Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

nero video 2016 is not importing avi VIDEO, only AUDIO when using codecs like divx, huffyuv, lagarith (which worked on video 11 and 2014)

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Nero 11 suite to nero video 2016 (I upgraded nero video only, as the other applications are seldom used and the 11 versions still suffice).

Still kept the 11 suite on the system.

In nero video 11, I can import AVI files created by the application "virtualdub" with codecs like "divx", "huffyuv", "lagarith" etc without problems.

In nero video 2016, I can import those avi's but they are only recognised as AUDIO files (the tab is automatically switched to the audio tab, even if I import the files on the video tab).

The only AVI video file format supported seems to be "uncompressed RGB", but that creates gigantic files and is unworkable.

I searched on the internet and found that the same error also occurred in older Nero Video versions but has been fixed later with updates.

I already tried to update with nero control center, it shows both the 11 suite and nero video 2016 suite licenses, but no new updates so I presume I'm already running the latest version.

Please let me know if this is a bug that will be fixed, or if Nero Video 2016 does not support importing AVI VIDEO files (encoded with video codecs installed on the windows system) anymore?

If support for importing AVI files is dropped, I may have to request a refund as Nero Video 2016 is not very usable for me now...
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • AVI, like MKV and others, is a container. The video and audio formats within can be practically anything. Nero supports DivX. You would have to ask tech support about the others.

Do you have a relatively small .avi that you could upload to filedropper.com and post the link that it provides here?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I uploaded a test file to:
    http://www.filedropper.com/testlagarith1

I used Lagarith 1.3.27 codec from:
    http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

The test file plays fine with Windows Media Player and VLC (note it only contains a few frames to limit the size), but Nero Video 2016 imports it as audio only.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• The test file is only 5 MB with a duration of 1/4 second. Can't test it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes, the file only contains a few frames, by I can't upload anything larger to filedropper...
    But a few frames is enough to see if it is supported; if so, it shows in the video tab, and gives a few frames of output video when dragged to the edit area, and you can step through the (few) frames.
    But the problem is that it is only recognized as audio, so the codec within the avi is clearly NOT recognized.

avi with Xvid codec is working; uncompressed is working but unusable due to large file size.
    Huffyuv and lagarith (and probably others) are currently not working.

Anyhow, I uploaded a longer test file in a much lower resolution if you really need a longer clip:
    http://www.filedropper.com/testlagarith3

Opens in Nero video 11 & 2014 without problems, in Nero video 2016 it switches to the audio tab when importing this file.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Filedropper allows files up to 5 GB.

I could not open that file in Nero Vision/Video in Nero versions 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 2015 except as an audio file. Ditto for WMP 11. I I can play the video in VLC Player but it has a completely different set of codecs than Nero. In Nero MediaHome, it displays the file as a video but doesn't play it. In v9 ShowTime, it doesn't play the video.

I think the conclusion is that Nero doesn't support the codec. It might be proprietary. You can always ask tech support about it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for testing the file.

Ah, I might have misread the Filedropper max filesize, thought is was 5 MB not GB...
    Anyhow, the tiny testlagarith3 file should be sufficient to show the problem (resolution does not seem to matter).

1. You have to first install the codec in windows, just like any other custom codec (see the link in the messages above), otherwise only VLC will play it (or any other player that has it's own codec libs).

2. As I mentioned above, it plays in WMP and loads fine in Nero video 11 and 2014 on my system, just not in Nero video 2016 on the same system, so that is a regression bug and it prevents me from upgrading from Nero video 2014 to Nero video 2016 (and my father from upgrading from Nero video 11 to 2016).

Can you please re-test after installing the codec (if WMP plays it as video, you know the codec has been properly installed on Windows as it apparently does not play it by default), to confirm it has worked in the older versions of Nero Video and not in the latest? Thanks!

3. How do I contact the tech support you are talking about? The Nero bug report page redirected me to this forum...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• you can reach tech support by going to nero.com, support, contact, technical support. Insert your v14 serial number and fill out/submit the contact form.

I purposely don't install additional codecs because I work in the forum every day with practically every version of Nero and, when people have a problem, I don't want the additional codecs to skew whether or not I can reproduce it. That's a sentence isn't it. I'm in a hurry this morning so I know I'm kinda giving you short shrift.

VLC Player does have it's own codecs and they're not shared with Nero products on the same computer, to my knowledge. It's pretty common, in esoteric cases, for it to play files that nothing else can.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm