Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero Video 2017 - how can I insert a .mov file?

I have a video that was originally created on a Mac. It is in Quicktime .mov format. I can play it on my Windows 7 machine in Quicktime. But it does not successfully open in Nero Video 2017.

Is there any way to get this file into Nero 2017?

Also, note that it seems the help files and manual for Nero 2017 requires first obtaining software from the Windows 10 store. But, I only have Windows 7.

Thanks for any advice.
-Joe
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hello Joe-

I assume you're using a "purchased" copy of Nero Video. Is your serial number shown correctly in the Nero ControlCenter? (I don't have the standalone Nero Video but my understanding is that there is a Nero ControlCenter.

What happens when you try to open it in Nero Video?

Is there any chance that you're willing to share your file? If so, upload it to filedropper.com and post here the link that's provided after the upload.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Yes, I purchased the Nero Video. I copy-pasted the serial number, so it should be correct. I just checked and it is registered, and the most current version.

I did eventually get the file converted. After a few hours of searching, and trying various free conversion sites, I found one that didn't have too short a limit on the free conversions. https://cloudconvert.com/

Here is the .mov Quicktime movie file on dropbox.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw91p7dcmd5...

-Joe
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• The original version does not have the transitions I was finally able to do (thanks forum members for stepping in where the staff of Nero has failed).

If you want to see the final version, I created a web site to share the video. It is a 2-minute puppet skit I created it to encourage people to vote... especially those who might want to sit-out on the U.S. presidential election, because of being disgusted with both major parties' candidate.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3...

-Joe
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I also can't successfully export my video as a mp4 file that I can play on my Windows 7 computer. The error message says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file tupe, or might not support the codec..."

The file also seems way too small, at 1.95 MB. The .wmv version is 79.3 MB.

Here is a link to my mp4.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n10nrlh7jsd...

I am still willing to put a little more effort into getting Nero to work, since it is looking unlikely Nero will do the refund I requested, I may be stuck with Nero, or consider the investment a loss.

-Joe
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Just confirm,
    Testing your file on Nero Video 2015 and 2016 ... file fails to import.

Testing your file on Nero Recode 2015 and 2016 ... file fails to import.

Used Freemake Video Converter on your file.

Worked perfectly.

The conversion to mp4 file resulted in this:

General
    Complete name : E:\Users\Phil\My Videos\Do Your Job 1280x720.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 48.4 MiB
    Duration : 2 min 4 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 3 264 kb/s
    Movie name : My Movie 1
    Encoded date : UTC 2016-09-17 21:26:39
    Tagged date : UTC 2016-09-17 21:26:39
    Writing application : Lavf54.63.104

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 3 282 kb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.119
    Stream size : 46.6 MiB (96%)
    Writing library : x264 core 129
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x131 / me=dia / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3282 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration_FirstFrame : 64 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 115 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.70 MiB (4%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Joe D,

Your video uses "ProRes" format and isn't recognized by Nero. See topic Video format.

I converted it with the free XMedia Recode, getting results similar to Lucky Phil's:

XMedia Recode of your .mov video (~43 MB)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Joe-

Your .mov file uses the ProRes codec. It seems to me that someone said that you can use a different codec in QuickTime to save a video as .mov.

In this thread-

http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...

the author reported that tech support acknowledged that ProRes is not supported.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Thank you all for you efforts.

The use of an online-converter service is required to use some "standards". Though, even then, there is a lot of knowledge you have to have to choose from among the various .mp4 format variations to export.

I am puzzled why the people who originated the mp4 format, didn't work to make it more of a standard.... unfortunately they decided to permit a zillion variations in codecs, and thus make it not a standard at all. They should have chosen a relatively small number of codecs, Then, if they wanted to add more codecs later, call that .mp5... etc.

The average consumer has no idea what a codec is, and even us more tech savvy users are frustrated when we can't get a .mp4 file to play on our computer.

-Joe
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't want to confuse mpeg-4 with .m4p, which Apple created. Also, we shouldn't compare apples and oranges when talking about .mov and .mp4. Few people have reported problems playing mp4.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I wanted you all to know that I did get a reply in regards to my request for a refund, and they have initiated that process. In the past, I had requested it via technical support, rather than customer service, which handles orders. So, that may have been why I had the delay in getting an answer.

-Joe
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm