Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Nero Video Encoding Quad-Core i5-4690K vs. 6-Core Ryzen 5 2600

I use Nero Video 2018 on my quad-core i5-4690k @ 3.9 GHz with 16 GB of 2133 MHZ RAM, and a 1050ti and it can encode 120 minutes of 1080p video in 20 minutes. When I attempt to do the same thing with my brand new 6-core Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.9 GHz with 16 GB of 2667 MHZ RAM and an RX580 and it takes 8 hours.

Based on the performance testing I've done the Ryzen should be at least 20% faster and instead it is insanely slower. What do I need to do to properly use the system's resources?
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Hi Kevin,

I am a Nero engineer.

About the '8 hours encoding' issue, did you see hardware acceleration option in Nero Video or not? Could you please upload a Nero Video screenshot of the '8 hours' progress?

If you could upload Nero Video logs it would be helpful for us to analyse the issue. The logs are in C:\Users\[current user]\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 2018\Nero Vision.
    You can upload to any cloud e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox. etc.

Thank you!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• After reviewing the version, it was Video 2017 that took 8 hours, Video 2018 does have hardware acceleration that gets it down to twice as long as the stream length to encode, compared to 1/4 the stream length for encoding time with the Intel processor.

The logs are attached below.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ansq2H4EQFfKolR4D...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• A test case

I used a ~20 minutes, 720x480, MP4 file [300 MB] to check my system's timing. Using Nero 2018 Video, I set the Movie Options to Full HD and placed the video on the timeline 7 times:

I started an export of the scaled up video:

As shown, the time estimate for completion is about 1.5 hours.

My system:

Host Name: TOSHIBA
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    OS Version: 10.0.17134 N/A Build 17134
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: Satellite S55-A
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz

BIOS Version: TOSHIBA 1.30, 9/25/2013

Total Physical Memory: 8,104 MB
    Page File Location(s): N/A
    • view 5 more comments
    • Omega Tester,

Although the source is the same, when the movie option is FullHD(1920x1080) and export to FullHD, compared with movie option 740x480, each frame includes much more digital information, so Nero Video takes much more time on encoding.
      This is as expected.
    • JennyW,

It was simply a test to compare Kevin's results with mine using the same source files. Any clue in the logs about what is causing the excessive time it takes to encode his project? Do you agree that exporting individual files may help isolate the problem?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Another test case

I exported the 720x480 as a 1920x1080 and repeated the above using that video. The export time was cut in half:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Kevin,

We got your logs, but they are just the beginning of the exporting.
    Would you please kindly finish the exporting and share us the logs? Then we could check the whole process, e.g. each file cause how much time during exporting.

Thanks!
    • view 5 more comments
    • All of them had hardware acceleration as an option as long as you chose the right codec. I don't have 2018 licenses on all of those machines, so it was tested in 2016, 2017, and 2018 depending on the machine.

The only time I couldn't use hardware acceleration is with RX 580 in Nero 2017, and that machine also has 2018 licensed and does have hardware acceleration in that version. All were tested with hardware acceleration active.
    • Did v2017 hardware acceleration work with the R5-2400G/RX 580 combination?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Kevin,

I think JennyW would have all the information she needs if you would simply restrict your export to one file at a time and post the screenshot showing the ETA for each. (10 minutes vs 4 hours?) Plus, you could enable/disable hardware acceleration to clarify its effect.

Alternatively, you could download the file I provided above and try that. If you get those horrendous times, that would be helpful to know.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited