Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m disappointed as I have been a supporter of Nero.

Nero2017 Platinum is NOT a 64-Bit Software

Hi Nero AG Team,

Recently, I upgraded from Nero2015 Platinum to Nero2017 Platinum as I was impressed by your article, 00013, published in Nero KnowHow that Nero has finally embraced the 64-Bit architecture.

Nero KnowHow Article 00013:
..We recommend at least for 4 GB of RAM - more will be better.
..and a minimum of 8 GB of RAM.
..For fast encoding and transcoding Nero applications utilize hardware acceleration technology of graphics cards supporting NVIDIA CUDA,
Unquote

After installing Nero2017 Platinum, I realised that it is still a 32-Bit software for it is automatically installed in c:\program files (x86)\nero\nero 2017. For 64-Bit software, they are automatically installed in c:\program files\..

As for the Nvidia CUDA hardware acceleration, there wasn't any noticeable speed up when I used Nero Video to re-cut a DVD using an existing saved Nero Project.

I still like Nero and I wish that Nero could provide a 64-Bit version of Nero2017 Platinum. And, it would be great if Nero may advise on a complete list of steps to ensure that it is able fully utilize my Nvidia GTX670 graphics card.

Thank you.

Regards,
Hua Kiang
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • Dear Hua, while the Nero applications are 32-Bit they can still address more than 2GB of RAM (Up to as many RAM as available). Our engineers applied a special technique to make this possible. You can easily see this in the task manager while e.g. exporting a complex timeline with 4k videos in Nero Video. Hardware acceleration is for playback and export and not utilized during editing as also there we have our own optimization technology in place.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I’m still not getting a convincing reply
    I am getting confused by your reply.

My understanding is that 32 Bit software including operating system may have a maximum addressable memory of 4GB in theory. In practical, it is usually less than 4GB.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...

At the end of Nero Video log, it showed that my desktop pc has only 4GB memory though my Windows 10 64-Bit system has a total of 16GB (2x8GB) physical memory.

Not demanding a refund here. Just wish to get a satisfactory reply from Nero AG team.

Regards,
    HK
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi, I was talking about 32-Bit software running on a 64-Bit operating system.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/63...
    As you can see on this screenshot Nero Video can access more than 4GB with special techniques:

So I am quite sure you can bring it to use all of your 16 GB RAM by making a project that involves several 4K H264 or H265 videos visible in the picture at the same time...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Since5.5,

Am I correct that your screenshot shows total memory in use, not Nero Video usage?

I have recorded memory usage before, during, and after exporting 4K video and I don't see very much memory being used:

What am I doing wrong?

Other Windows related issues that have been ignored:

Nero Express Will Not Terminate When Requested

Nero BurningROM Does Not Terminate Gracefully

Are you able to verify those two issues or is there something wrong with my installation?

Also, there is a German fellow in topic Project with 40GB burning on a 50GB Blue ray disk who has apparently been bitten by a long-standing bug in Nero Video. He needs some help!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m running out of words..
    Since5.5,

Good day..

It may not be right to assume that your existing Nero customers do not have a certain level of computer literacy to differentiate what is most likely not so correct answer to their clarifications.

Agreed with Hagar that you had provided a total system memory consumption at a point in time. You may wish to show the actual memory consumed by Nero instead. Do refer to attached screenshot as an example.

As of now, we are already in version 18.0.25001 (Nero Video 2017). Let's move on from version 5.5 towards a true 64-Bit software architecture and a better Nero experience for all your existing and going to be Nero customers.

If the next reply may come, Nero may consider to take the opportunity to clarify clearly all our remaining and outstanding clarifications.

Regards,
    HK
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• More than 4 GB RAM used. 13 x 4K video, simultaneously.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Since5.5,

I think I see how you're doing that now! I made some 4K videos to use in testing. For anyone that wants to compare my results, I zipped them and uploaded the result: Ten 1 second long 4K videos [~14 MB]. Using those videos, I tried duplicating what you have shown:

1. I started a 4K project with 10 tracks.
    2. I imported the ten 1 second videos and put one on each track.
    3. I resized each one and repositioned it to make a kind of collage.

Here's a screen shot of the project with the memory usage overlaid:

This is very similar to your screenshot; each time a 4K video was placed on a track, another "OutProc server for DLL loading (32 bit)" process is created, snatching up about 1/3 GB of memory. So, that's just over 3 GB used, plus what the export server process will add, etc. So, it's easy to see that a person could tie up the entire RAM very easily.

I've exported the result and placed it on YouTube for all to enjoy:

I actually did add 5 more tracks repeating 5 of the videos and tried exporting that - for a little while I thought I'd never get my system back. When it looked like it would take the next 3 years to export the 1 second video, I aborted the export. Aborting alone took about 15 minutes.

I am positively awestruck. Using ~4 GB of RAM to process 10 files totaling less than 15 MB. What a feat!!! This is not the sort of efficiency that can be achieved by actually going from 32-bit programs to 64-bit programs.

P.S. As I mentioned above, there is a user in topic Project with 40GB burning on a 50GB Blue ray disk who could use some help. He is getting

Exception Code: 0xC0000005, the thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

during the encoding of his menu (Check Project reports no errors). It is reminiscent of a known bug reported by others and myself in topic Burn Failures in AVCHD or Blu-ray Projects Caused By Button Placement.. That was years ago for Nero 2014. It has yet to be officially acknowledged let alone fixed!

P.P.S. Once again, please acknowledge (or dispute) the Windows related issues raised in Nero Express Will Not Terminate When Requested and
    Nero BurningROM Does Not Terminate Gracefully
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Dear Hagar,
    In my limited technical understanding it still makes perfect sense to consume the RAM as not the initial file size matters but actually the memory required to process the decoded, uncompressed frames of all videos in there original resolution at the same time. But anyway I am not qualified for a discussion on that technical level. This is the same reason I cannot reply to the two termination topics either. As none of the topics will be of concern for an everyday user of the software I also don't want to ask someone more qualified to respond. I hope for your understanding. On the menu issue: I will check and try to respond in the respective item.
    • Since5.5,

As none of the topics will be of concern for an everyday user of the software I also don't want to ask someone more qualified to respond. I hope for your understanding.

I find this statement to be unbelievable! Moreover, I absolutely do not understand since the issues raised there were discovered by me while trying to understand what Nero was doing to crash unrelated processes while exiting Nero Burning ROM. That issue was reported by many "everyday users". Prior to that I had never heard of the taskkill command. When I discovered the issues, I immediately took the time to post my findings. As far as I'm concerned, the so-called fix of Burning ROM cannot have been done properly if the program still does not behave properly at that very basic level.

So, I would urge you to check it out yourself. Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express are the only Windows programs that I know of that do not respond correctly to the taskkill command. And, that includes every other Nero program. It takes seconds to confirm the issues - start the program, open a command prompt window, issue the taskkill command. The actual commands are shown in the associated topics. Perhaps you'll find that the problem is "not generic" (a term from ex-employee Jens). I seriously doubt it, but one never knows!

I would also like to express my displeasure at being marginalized as something other than an everyday user. I agree with the sentiment expressed by HK above: "It may not be right to assume that your existing Nero customers do not have a certain level of computer literacy to differentiate what is most likely not so correct answer to their clarifications." This is not just a problem at Nero and it didn't start yesterday! It would seem that a little transparency would help! For example, what are the qualifications/expertise of the Nero employees that are supposedly participating in this forum? There are no job titles or job descriptions.

Now, as a matter of fact, and as an everyday user, I occasionally try to use Nero Burning ROM but consistently find it useless since it crashes practically every time I click on a folder, or after having successfully opened a folder it crashes while dragging files to the compilation. I have been reading about this issue on both the old and new forums for years. Until recently I didn't have the problem. I don't know what has happened but whatever it is, it is affecting Nero 12, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Burning ROM.

Now, speaking not as an "everyday user", but as a retired career computer programmer, I can only say that I would go directly to the Windows message processing loop and fix the taskkill issues first and foremost.

Finally, from the forum posts, the path to the developers appears to be through you. But, I have been assured in an email from ? that the developers monitor the forum regularly. Is that not true? If not, why not?
    • Since5.5,

After learning a little more about the situation, I have deleted topic Nero Express Will Not Terminate When Requested

and added an explanation of my confusion to topic Nero BurningROM Does Not Terminate Gracefully.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Nero applications are 32-Bit. They can still address more than 2GB of RAM.
    But it does not matter at the end: What matters is, that the applications are reliable, fast and do, what they are used for.

Do you care, if a car has 4 cylinders or 6 cylinders, if it drives 200 mph, where the law restricts the max speed to 150 mph or less?
    Or even if the car has no internal combustion engine at all.
    And nevertheless drives faster than 150 mph as some of the latest electric cars.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hello
    NERO is not installed on my computer.
    I get messages all day from NERO. (Conversations between subscribers it seems?)
    To remove it I need to have a password, how do I do not understand what password it is?
    Thank you for answering in English.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Jean-Claude,
    I assume those are messages from this forum. To change this please click on your user name on top right and select "Emails & Notifications" for changing this.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There has been this prompt of ~SGD57 to upgrade from my existing Nero 2017 Platinum to Nero 2018 Platinum including a couple of other software since a few days ago. Is Nero 2018 Platinum a 64-Bit software now?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm