Nero 2012 and 2014 freezes when using search in nero explorer

Just bought Nero 2014 because nero 2012 stopped working, and i couldn't get any help from you guys. Now i'm having a freeze up problem with 2014 too. IT's when you go to the right hand windows and search and click on the last folder to open. It just sets there and you get not responding. Like Explorer is hanging. Would sure be nice to get some kind of guidance, or else, i'll need to get a refund and go back to using another burning software.
4 people have
this problem
+1
next » « previous
  • If you haven't asked tech support about it, how is it going to be resolved? Since it's not a wide spread problem, based on the forum participation, it's something in the system configuration. Send them your nerosupport.cab and they can peek at your setup and probably identify the problem.
    • Tech support doesn't do anything, but write the same old mails over and over. With all the problems I have had (Nero 8, 10, 11 and 12) they never came up with a solution.

Browsing the web I have found out that the freezing problem proabably is due to a shell extension of AVG. Nero knows this for months and is not doing anything to solve the problem. Failing to inform customers when asked. Claiming that they are not responsible for SoundTrax, WaveEditor and CoverDesigner since they are distributed free.

Nero is going down the drain; just read the reviews on the web.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m sad
    If I look at this thread, I get the impression this is one more case of "Nero isn't functioning, but the problem must be caused by other software. Therefore it is no need to revise the Nero code."

Of course many errors show up by interaction with other applications only. But there isn't seldom a system only running a standard Windows installation and Nero Suite. Therefore it is urgent to program any program ( especially Nero! ) according to the definitions of the operating system. This conformance can be verified partly by formal processes.
    The remaining parts must be tested by a sufficient test base.

The answers by Nero employees don't show these basic guidances for quality assurance are considered enough in the development process.

I know this is criticism again. But this is just my impression when reading this thread. If I'm wrong Nero can correct me. I'm open to critique.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• @wither

"If you haven't asked tech support about it, how is it going to be resolved?"

I already said I contacted tech support
    Answer : "ain't my fault, but other software's one"

@bebima

you are right...

thanks to you two
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Sorry about my comment. I didn't thoroughly go back through the thread to see if you had e-mailed tech support.

A day ago you were awaiting a further reply from tech support. Have they officially told you that it's not their problem?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

BeBiMa:
    I've taken the advice you gave Wither 1 and reviewed the employee posts above. I noticed the rapid responses from NeroUser when the problem appeared to be due to Kaspersky and the lack of any subsequent contributions since that theory was dismissed. But, more interesting to me is the response from Jens (Employee) 20 days ago: "Then the problem must appear on every PC - but as the problem does NOT appear on every PC, it cannot be a general code Problem.
    "So, it must have something to do with special software on your pc. "

Is this the sort of nonsense you are wanting people to notice?
    • view 3 more comments
    • Indeed!

Thinking outside the box (what Nero should do for once) I have a theory why the AVG shell extension is not always the reason Nero freezes. Most people have only a C-disc and thus 1 partition, but apparently this problem occurs with people who have (out of safeguard) more partitions (and/or discs). F.e., I have 2 discs and 4 partitions. All documents, music and DVD's are written to my D-disc, so when a software problem or crash occurs on C I can 'reload' the original setting and my files and documents are unharmed on D.

It's something to look into, Nero.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

hi,

today came the new Kaspersky patch : still the bug is here

But look, I found this while trying to do something with this crap :

1) open Nero
    2) click on "New" up left on the tool bar
    3) click on "New" in the "New compilation" window : FREEZE, as I already said above

But

1) open Nero
    2) click on "New" up left on the tool bar
    3) click on "Open" in the "New compilation" window, then Cancel immediatly after
    4) come back again on "New" up left on the tool bar
    5) click again on "New" in the "New compilation" window : EXPLORER OPENS !!!

this you can do as long as you want !

so you first have to cancel an "Open" order to get this alpha level software to open its Explorer window !!!
    Nice work, Nero, hope you're having fun with my money... Happy Xmas
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Have you installed the updates that came out a few days ago?

Where are you in Nero when you say "open Nero". Please explain since I don't know what toolbar you're referring to.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• hi, and thanks

yes, Nero can't be more up to date than now ! There's was a Nero core file to download two days ago

here's an image for you to see that "open" button
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Your instructions in steps 1-3 are missing something. When you open Nero Burning Rom, you have to select New to get to the New button on the tool bar. No matter which way I do it, I don't get a freeze.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Same for me - tested on different PCs: No freeze. But, as wither already said: One step seems to be messing - after opening nero, I cam directly in the "New Compilation" Screen - so I have to click on Cancel first to be able to click on new..

You wrote a page ago, the problem is related to Kaspersky - does the problem also occur after uninstalling Kaspersky? (or disable the Kaspersky shell extension - as already written a page ago: This problem most time comes from shell-extension - I am sure Kaspersky installs a shell extension...)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• So how did it automatically open in the new compilation screen?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• ok, I'll will send two topics :

this is n° 1, with FREEZE

take a look at the images

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• this is the second topic, with nero explorer opening at last

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• as you can see above, there's a problem, you should be able to directly open the explorer while clicking on "new" (first topic), without having to do all of what you can see on the second topic

there was a new Kaspersky patch ("d"), but I don't think it's a Kaspersky problem, Nero still can't work

I'm getting real bored with this...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• In the first process, when you get the freeze, it's because a new instance of Burning Rom is supposed to open. That's why you're seeing the Nero.exe running in Task Manager. I don't know if you're not waiting long enough or your system can't handle two instances running at one time.

In the second process, you haven't selected a file when you select Open.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• ok mate, let's stop here, we don't understand each other

1) there's only one instance running, and I must kill it in task manager to exit Nero, because Nero is FREEZING and I can't exit normally.

2) I know I haven't selected a file, i'm not a donkey

I mean the fact of clicking on "open" (without selecting a file) and canceled just after (without selecting a file, I repeat), and clicking on "New" again for the second time is the only way to get the explorer open : i found this way of doing by chance, as I've been trying everything to get Nero working

and mate, I've been using Nero since 2001, and I've never seen that before

anyway, I'd like to thank you spending time trying to help me, maybe their engineers find something one of these days, here's hoping

happy Christmas to you ans a happy new year too !
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• On my system, nero.exe isn't running in the task manager with either one or two instances of Burning Rom open. It shouldn't be.

I guess you're saying that if you select a file when you click on open, it freezes. That's why you have to go through the convoluted process.

Let's see what tech support has to say.

Merry Christmas to you also. Hopefully, you'll have a response from tech support you can post before the New Year.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hello Mallet,

I am sorry that you still have this problem.
    Please let us know what happens when you try Jens suggestions to disactivate the shell extensions? Please understand that this is a very important information for us to find a definitive solution for this problem.
    Thank you for your help.

greetings
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

This problem has NOTHING to do with Kaspersky or however you spell it. I do not use that program, but I still have the same problem with nothing opening in NERO's explorer...just freezes up. It's not a problem with other programs, it's a problem with NERO! Have you tried it with external drives hooked up? That's about the only thing i can think of that i have extra on my system. I'm running Vista 32 I hope you can find a fix soon.

p.s. btw you can drag programs/data over into explorer and it won't freeze, it's only when you try to browse using nero's version of explorer!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• We seem to have two separate issues going here.

Have you mapped your drives in Windows Explorer?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Nero tech support pointed me to look at "shell extensions" My problem was the shell extension from my AVG Anti-Virus. It was the "Context Menu" for AVG. I used software from NirSoft called ShellExView to "disable" the AVG shell. Then my Nero2014 Burning ROM File browser worked correctly. Before this, it would freeze after drilling down folders to a folder that had files.
    • view 2 more comments
    • Shell extensions are a means of the operating system ( Windows ) to add topics to the context menu ( right click on a file ). If two topics interfere with each other it is very likely that one of them doesn't adhere completely to the specification. Because of the distribution and importance of AVG I think it is not the extension for virus checking.
    • BeBiMa...it is the shell extension of AVG that is causing the problem, but I agree with Chris. This issue should be handled and solved by Nero (or AVG), but Nero support isn't interested in assisitng paying CUSTOMERS.
      AVG is a worldwide apllication, so I believe that Nero should come up with a solution. It also is weird that Nero instructs you to disable a virusscanner when installing. It sounds like they know of conflicting software, but do not have the interest to find a solution.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes but most of us won't know how to do that. It should either be fixed in NERO, or AVG!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• For Nero to access a drive on a Network, the drive has to have a letter assigned to it such as C:, D:, E:, etc.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• oh yes of course, or i wouldn't even be able to access it from my computer. Of course it's assigned a letter. I do have several external drives, all mapped.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I wonder if the permissions are set correctly so that the files can be accessed by the system and the user account.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

It's time for NERO to start fixing things, like conflicts. Find and work around and install it in NERO's software, don't leave it to the users to fix it. That is very unprofessional. I won't buy another upgrade!!! We shouldn't have to pay every years anyway. It should be a one time pay, and then you get the upgrades each year. It's really bad when they want to charge you each year, but don't even want to fix the problems...they'd rather leave it to the user to fix them :(
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• How does a company make money that way? The upfront pay would have to be much more than the cost of one version. One can buy Nero 2014 right now for $40 US. That's dirt cheap. Of course, if one want's all the bennies in Platinum, it's more. Some companies have gone to subscriptions, as you suggest, rather than providing new versions for purchase. One company I've bought from for 20 years did that and the yearly cost is prohibitive for me, the average user. I just stick with what I have.

I do agree whole heartedly that problems within an individual version should be fixed in that version. If I have a pet peeve with Nero, that is it.
    • So, Nero is actually telling us that in order to stay cheap they market versions without sufficient research and reserves to solve problems. Wow. That's very good public relations and I suggest they use it as a slogan: Nero is dirt cheap, so don't expect service and solutions.
      It's not just the 12 version, but all versions of Nero have flaws and problems; just read the reviews, and every time a new version is marketed problems keep coming up. That's no fluke anymore, but a habit.
      I buy Nero for editing music, but yesterday I received an email from Tech Support (if ever a name was chosen poorly) that they hold no responsibility anymore for SoundTrax, WaveEditor and CoverDesigner) because they are giving it for free. Problem for me (and probably countless others) is that these applications ARE the reason I bought Nero. If these applications are not serviced and updated anymore, you will be compared to all the other average products, and then your horrifying service will put you out of business.

Just a few pointers towards these applications:
      WaveEditor: why not create the possibility to create several tracks, thus making it easy to take away cracks and blips in the music track
      CoverDesigner: why can I only add a max. of 5 discs and not more if choosen
      Nero Burning: audio rip should be a seperate application (like it used to be)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

next » « previous