Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero 2014 BackItUp does not automatically restart an interrupted backup job.

From the BackItUp FAQ list:

What if I have to shut down or reboot my PC while a backup is running?
Nero BackItUp automatically resumes backups after your PC has restarted.

I tried it on a 2000 file backup job. It didn't automatically restart. When I clicked on "Run Now", it started a new backup in another cloud folder.

Some screenshots;

2 people have
this problem
+1
  • Addendum

After the second backup completed, I restored it to a new folder and then deleted it. The restored files were all there and correct. When I deleted the backup job, the first folder was left in the cloud and had to be manually deleted.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Obviously, this thread has been ignored for two weeks. Two days ago, I mentioned it in topic auto backup and user logon.

Patrick, BackItUp's Product Manager (?), responded with "Regarding the other issue, Omega, all restart scenarios we tested worked and we're looking into that again to see if there are cases where it does not work."

So, still no acknowledgement. I repeated this little exercise today:

1. Start my iPod stopwatch.
    2. Start Nero 2014 and select BackItUp.
    3. Start a new continuous cloud backup.
    4. Exit BackItUp.
    5. Restart my computer.
    6. Log in.
    7. Start Nero 2014 and select BackItUp. See the image below. It was saved 4 minutes and 31 seconds after step 1!

So, I discovered this problem and documented here. Two weeks pass with no acknowledgement. And, now, Patrick or one of his cohorts can't find five minutes to check it out and post their conclusions.

Non-responsiveness of Tech Support got me to these forums. Now, it's clear that Nero management share that characteristic!

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Update

An update to BackItUp was posted recently. The description:

Nero BackItUp PC Client Version 15.0.31.1

Here is another round of fixes for Nero BackItUp 2014.

Here is the list of changes:

##Fixed a problem where on some system configurations backups wouldn't proceed and freeze at 0%
    ##Fixed an issue where backups couldn't be continued after manually logging off and back on

I installed the update:

I tried interrupting a backup to the cloud by deliberately restarting my computer. The result was the same as reported above. The backup did not resume and started anew when manually run. As before, deleting the backup job and its files left the initial partial backup in the cloud to be removed via browser access.

I observed the identical results for a backup to a local drive.

Just for kicks, I tried interrupting a cloud backup by logging off without restarting the computer. When I logged back on, everything was the same as if I had restarted the system. In other words, the backup had to be run manually; it started a new backup; deleting the backuo left files; etc.

What am I missing here?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• No word from Nero on this???

Has anyone successfully continued a backup job after logging out and back in?

Has anyone successfully continued a backup job after restarting their system?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• 10 Days and No Response

About ten days ago, an update appeared that was described as:

Here is another round of fixes for Nero BackItUp 2014.

Here is the list of changes:

##Fixed a problem where on some system configurations backups wouldn't proceed and freeze at 0%
    ##Fixed an issue where backups couldn't be continued after manually logging off and back on

After installing the update, I noted 10 days ago that at least the second of these goals had not been met. In other words, it is still not possible to log off and subsequently continue a backup.

Is anyone paying attention?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero (Official Rep) August 04, 2014 20:27
    Hi Omega,

Sorry for me not replying to this earlier.
    I just set up another system and tried to reproduce this.

When I restart in the very early phases of a backup, I encounter the same behavior than what you describe. When I do however restart at a later point, the backup is automatically resumed.
    I assume that this depends on whether it already completed more / less than 300 files. This doesn't make too much sense and I'll make sure we can correct this behavior.

Thanks for the detailed report and sorry for the inconvenience.

best,
    Patrick
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Patrick,

After that's fixed, what happens if a restore operation is interrupted by a restart?

I tried another test and waited for well over 300 files to be backed up before restarting the system. The backup did not restart automatically, but when I started the backup manually, it did continue from where it had been. Some screenshots:

The upload "purring along":

So, after the logic is corrected, what about the speed?

The remaining time estimate is apparently based on the time since the backup was restarted but includes the files that were previously backed up in the calculation resulting in an overly optimistic estimate.

I followed this by an excruciatingly slow restore operation and verified the correctness of the files.

Another question: if a power failure interrupts a backup, will it also continue?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes, it will also continue - given the circumstances are what I mentioned earlier => more than 300 files already backed up.
    We're are changing this right now so that even if it does restart - the same folder is used to prevent that multiple copies of files are stored online.
    Restore performance is something will look into at some point as well.

best,
    Patrick
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have the same problem. More than 300 files were several times copied. But at interruption, switching off of the computer or its reset, backup begins with the beginning.
    Already whole week I cannot copy completely a task in 19 Gb (about 8000 files). It is necessary to refuse the program probably.
    Unfortunately.
    Really it is impossible to configure the program so, what copying would proceed from a stop point?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    Hi to all;

I have the same problem. External blu-ray drive restarted, maybe a failure in the USB ports or an overheating situation in the Asus drive?

Nero Backitup (version 5.4.19.100) still showing 35% advance in a 1.4 TBytes backup but no way to continue the task! After three tries, I have 35 blu rays disks crashed and burned!

Any good news???

Thank you in advance
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m happy
    Thank you Omega Tester! I had reached the same decision few minutes ago!

See you around
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Estaban- this thread concerns Nero Backitup 2014 (and would apply to Backitup 2015). You're using Backitup from Nero v10 and, on top of it, it's woefully out of date. Please start a new thread.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm