Nero 2014 Recode Introduces Audio/Video Sync Problems Into MPEG-4 Output Files

Issues involving audio/video sync when using Nero Video or Nero Recode are posted frequently. For the most part, these problems are dismissed as source file issues of some sort, such as "missing frames", etc. In some cases, requests are made of the user to forward the problem to Tech Support with a step-by-step procedure, etc. It's difficult to follow the result.

This post provides specific steps to produce an out-of-sync MPEG-4 file using Nero 2014 Recode from only a Nero generated source file. A test file, MySyncTestFile.m2ts, is created in a Nero 2014 Video Blu-ray project. This file is comprised of 60 joined copies of a small .m2ts file which is also a Nero 2014 video output file. That file, in turn, is comprised of all Nero components: a sample picture, a text effect, and a SoundTrax generated audio track.

For anyone interested in following along, I have uploaded a zipped folder [~20 MB] containing the small initial source file and a batch file. To participate, download the file and unzip it. The following procedure can be done by importing the source file 60 times! Alternatively, double-click the included .bat file and it will make a folder containing 60 files - almost 3 GB worth.

Making the test video:

1. Start Nero 2014 Video and verify Recording Format Options are as indicated in the following screenshots. (Other settings may also work, but ...).

2. On the "Create & Export" menu, choose "Blu-ray Disc".

3. At the Content screen, import 60 copies of the Sync Test File.

4. Join the 60 videos to form a single 0h18m57s title. Click "Next"

5. At the Menu Edit screen, choose "Do no create a menu" and click "Next."

6. At the Preview screen, click "Next".

7. At the Burn Options screen, choose "Write to Hard Disk Folder", choose or create a folder and click OK. Verify that the Audio SmartEncoding ratio is 100%, but the Video SmartEncoding ration is 0%. Recheck the Blu-ray Recording Format Options if necessary.

8. Click "Write". Wait for burn completion and choose to not save the log (or save it).

9. Exit Nero Video.

10. Open the folder containing the Blu-ray structure just created; open the BDMV folder; open the STREAM folder; rename the 00000.m2ts file to MySyncTestFile.m2ts (or other significant name). The Blu-ray structure is no longer playable in the Blu-ray player, so the entire folder can be deleted after moving the .m2ts file to a convenient place. The .m2ts file is playable in Nero MediaHome and many other players.

Making an out-of-sync .mp4 file

1. Start Nero 2014 Recode and import the MySyncTestFile.m2ts video file just made.

2. Choose MPEG-4 for the output, click "More options" and verify the settings are as in the following screenshot.

3. Click OK and then "Start encoding." When it finishes, play it and check the sync at the beginning and near the end.

4. For added fun, I edited the job and changed to an MKV output file with the same parameters to generate an "in-sync" video from the same source.
After doing the above, I made a video with the MP4 file on track 1 and the MKV on track 2 with 50% opacity. I cut the tracks at 00:00:40:00, 00:18:00:00, and 00:18:40:00. I deleted the large segment and the segment beyond 00:18:40:00, leaving two 40 second segments. After editing, i uploaded the result to YouTube:

There is over a 2 second difference between the two files at the 18 minute point. A similar experiment using 120 files produces an ~38 minute video with sync problems exceeding 4 seconds as the end of the video is reached.

Nero 2014 Video can also be used to make AVC files from the above .m2ts test file that have no sync problems using the following parameters (and maybe others):

1 person has
this problem
+1