Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero Burning Rom 2014 compatibility issue

I recently tried to use Nero 10 Lite which has worked well for me for many years. It no longer worked and I was instructed to upgrade. So I paid for the upgrade to Nero Burning Rom 2014, downloaded, and installed it. But it wouldn't burn my files (wmv format) to a DVD video. Has anyone else had this same issue? Nero refuses to refund my upgrade charge even though I have uninstalled the program. They are asking for screenshots, etc. (which I sent them today), but this won't help disagnosis a "problem" since the program can't do what I need it to do. Has anyone else been able to get a refund from Nero when a program doesn't work as expected. There was no documentation during the upgrade that informed me about which file formats the program is compatible with and no mention of a no-refund policy.
1 person likes
this idea
+1
  • Burning a video file to disc using DVD-Video in Burning Rom would only produce a data disc which most standalone players won't play. When you open a new compilation in DVD-Video, you'll notice on the left hand side it asks for Audio_TS and Video_TS.

The file needs to be authored to the DVD-Video structure (Video_TS) in a program like Nero Video before burning to disc. The Audio_TS is usually created but is empty.

If you want to create a data disc with the video file, just use DVD-ROM in Burning Rom or DVD data disc in Nero Express. I don't have Nero 10 Lite installed anymore so I can't verify which options are available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thank you for this information. I know how to burn data CDs and DVDs with Windows and I know I can do it with Burning Rom. But I need a program that can burn video files in various formats to DVD videos. I wish I could have known the limitations of Burning Rom before I paid for the upgrade from Nero Lite (which no longer works since the Nero company made changes). I have discovered that Windows DVD Creator (that is included with Windows 7 and 8) can burn WMV files to a DVD video. It has worked fine. I really don't care to use more than one program to burn to DVD videos. I sure wish I had known about the limitations of Burning Rom before I paid for the upgrade.

I used to be quite happy with Nero products. They served me well for many years. But Nero seems to have changed in the last year or so in how it markets and relates to customers. I think they have lost my business. And it looks like I've lost my money to them.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Nero Video will do this.
    Nero Video is part of nero 2014 suite - so you can simply upgrade your nero burning rom standable to nero 2014 suite.

As you get a reduced price for the upgrade, your money is not lost.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I'm sorry but I do not wish to pay any more money for another product which has the features which should have been in the product I thought I was buying. Nero has changed from the company I used to love. There was inadequate documentation for my upgrade which did not allow me to know that Burning Rom would not burn my videos as needed. I have uninstalled Burning Rom. I do not wish to use it. I do not wish to use any more products from Nero until Nero returns to the the company it used to be. Please refund my money for the wrong product. An upgrade to a product should be able to do what is expected based on performance of the product being upgraded. After receiving the wrong program from Nero, I discovered that Windows DVD Maker does everything I need for zero cost.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you want to pursue a refund, you will need to contact customer service. I don't think it's likely you'll get one.

Windows DVD Maker may do everything you want but Nero has far more features.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• In addition, I don't know what changes Nero made to the Lite product. What kind of problem did you have?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, Nero apparently did something to Nero Lite so that it no longer performs its original functions. Obviously, the new Nero AG company wants us to pay for products and not use Lite products as in the past. As I stated in my first post, the upgrade for Nero Lite does not perform as I expected the upgrade should. Burning Rom does not burn wmv files to a DVD video. It is a missing feature in Burning Rom and Nero did not give any documentation during the the upgrade process telling what features the upgrade to Nero Lite had and did not have. I cannot use Burning Rom to do my work. I do not wish to purchase yet another Nero product which I discovered I can already do for free with the standard Windows product that came with Windows 7. Nero should produce products which have the features that customers want. And if their products are limited it is Nero's responsibility to notify the customer before they pay money. Please refund my money. I do not wish to use Nero products any more the way that Nero has changed how it makes it products now and how it relates to customers. Something has changed at the Nero company from the many wonderful years of good service and products that do what customers need. Since Nero now requires an upgrade to Nero Lite, it is necessary for Nero to inform customers what program they will get with the upgrade and what it can and cannot do. Please refund my purchase price. I do not wish to buy anything from Nero again until it returns to the kind of customer service and product usability that I have enjoyed with Nero programs for many years.

Nero needs to communicate more clearly to its upgrade customers what program they will get when they upgrade and what functions the program will do and which functions it will not do. Customers have the reasonable expectation a Nero upgrade should function at least as well as competing products from other companies. In this case, Burning Rom does not. And I do not consider it appropriate for a company to require a customer to purchase add-ons or other programs to have the functions desired, especially when there are competing programs from other companies that do exactly what I need.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, I already contacted Nero customer service. Their response was inadequate, not the good service we used to expect from the good old Nero company. Something sure has changed since they added "AG" to their name.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Encoding and burning video that's in a video format to DVD-Video has never been a feature of Burning Rom (or Nero Express) that I'm aware of. Nero Vision has been in every Nero suite since at least v5.

The Burn Lite version was free and, to my knowledge, was never updated. Since you're not specific about what the actual problem with it is, I can't help you. Obviously, it's a mute point since you bought Burning Rom.

I have to agree that the descriptions provided for these kinds of products should more thoroughly explain the need for authoring in another app to produce a disc playable on a standalone player. You're not the first to complain about this problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, I'll try to state more clearly than I did before what the problem with Nero Lite became. Simply stated, it no longer seems to burn files to CDs or DVDs as it and Nero Express did so well in the past. Nero updated Nero Lite so that an upgrade is required to perform functions that Nero Lite (and Nero Express) used to do. I don't know how to be any more specific than this. I have not been able to perform any of the previous CD and DVD burning functions I did with Nero Lite and Nero Express. And after this latest experience with the upgrade to an undocumented program, Burning Rom 2014, I am giving up on Nero products until the new company (Nero AG now, I believe) puts the customer first again with adequate documentation for programs (before purchase) and proper customer service. I hope I have given you enough information this time. I don't know what else to say. Basically, the Nero programs I used to use no longer work to perform the jobs I need done. I tried to burn my files using Nero Lite, as I used to, and it would not do it since the updates Nero made to the program. Nero LIte gave me an error message stating that I had to upgrade. I upgraded, expecting the upgrade program to have the same functionality that Nero Express, Nero Lite, and paid Nero programs had in the past. But the upgrade program (Burning Rom 2014) is not able to perform the functions that I expected an upgrade to Nero Lite would do. It is unethical of a company not to provide documentation of upgrade program features before a customer pays for an upgrade.

I have uninstalled all Nero programs from my computer since they do not perform the CD and DVD burning jobs that I need. I enjoyed using Nero programs for many years, both free and paid programs. But they no longer work as they used to so I have to use programs from other companies now to do the CD and DVD jobs I need.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I installed Nero BurnLite 10 yesterday just for you to see what features are available. I used v 10.0.10600 which is the last version they issued. I was hesitant because I have the full v10 suite installed. I ended up having to update the latter because Lite changed some things.

The only thing it will do is burn data discs or copy discs. That's all I ever remember it doing. This is on Vista. I had it installed on Win 7 once but don't any longer. It won't be compatible with Win 8.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Here are some suggestions for the new Nero company to avoid the problem I have experienced of getting the wrong upgrade program due to no documentation. These suggestions are based on what some other companies with higher customer satisfaction ratings do:

1. Trialware: Allow a customer to upgrade to a trial version of a program to find out if the upgrade will perform the needed functions.
    2. Crippleware: Allow customers to experiment with a program but cripple important features such as Saving, final burning, etc.
    3. Watermark: The programs works but places a watermark on any output. Of course, few customers will want a watermark on images or videos. If they find that the program works as they want, they will want to remove the watermark by paying.
    3. No upgrades without documentation. Nero required me to upgrade Nero Lite but never provided any documentation allowing me to know if the upgrade had the program features I needed.
    4. Recognize mistakes and repair them with customers.

When a company like Nero makes a mistake, as they did with my upgrade, they should work with the customer to repair the mistake. They should not simply tell the customer, as they did to me, that they need to purchase another Nero program. The best software companies are those who work hard to keep customers happy. Loyal, happy customers results in higher profits for a company. I like to work with companies which practice good customer relations and business ethics. I like to stay loyal to such companies for many years. One of the best software companies is Laplink. They have excellent (free) online chat tech support and customer service. They always try to resolve any problem so that the customer is happy. The result is loyal customers. I keep purchasing Laplink programs because I can trust the company.

The new Nero company needs to learn how to have happy, loyal customers. This will help the company grow and make better profits.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, I have many years of experience using Nero Express, Nero Lite, and I think also Nero Essentials. These programs served my needs well. My recent upgrade experience with the new Nero company was my first bad experience with any Nero programs.

It's fine for Nero to change their programs. It's even fine for them to remove features from programs if they no longer wish to offer them for free. But if Nero is going to make these changes, it is necessary that they provide adequate documentation for customers so customers can make informed decisions about what programs to buy. I'm sure that Nero is losing customers now due to its new policies and unfriendly customer service. I hope that the new Nero company will soon learn that they will be a more successful company if they take care of their customers well. Adequate information BEFORE purchase of any program helps customers make correct decisions about which upgrades and programs to use. Inadequate information and unfriendly customer service loses customers and company profits.

The new Nero company has done a good job giving good information to me about their program AFTER I made the required upgrade to their program. (Nero Lite only allowed one upgrade option, with no information about what the upgraded program would be or what its features would be.) I get messages from tech support and customer service telling me what programs I can buy AFTER I paid for my required upgrade. The new Nero company needs to provide the information a customer needs BEFORE purchase not AFTER purchase.

I would be happy to consider using Nero programs again if the new Nero company would treat its customers with the respect that they need. Part of showing respect to customers is giving them enough information BEFORE purchase so they can make a properly informed purchase.

Nero still has not refunded my purchase price even though they did not upgrade me to the correct program. (The best software companies I have worked with would have corrected their mistake quickly and refunded my money or provided a free upgrade to the correct program.) The current quality of customer service from the new Nero copany will lose customers and cause the new Nero to lower its profits. I would prefer the new Nero to be more successful by providing better documentation and customer service.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Sorry, but what you are writing is wrong::

a) Nero BurnLite also does NOT offer the possibility to author video-dvds.

b) Nero Burning ROM can do everying Nero Burnlite can do.
    So, they are no features removed.
    Therefore, this is the correct update path.

c) If you would have asked anybody, if you can author video dvds with nero burning rom, you would of cause get the answer that it cannot do it - be sure: Anybody from nero would love to sell you the complete suite - instead of the single product.

d) Also, there are trial-version of nero burning rom available - so you could test, if the program meets your requirment.

e) Also, we offered you to upgrade from nero burning rom to nero suite
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens, I did not write that Nero Lite could burn WMV files. I wrote that I have had excellent service from my Nero programs for many years. Here is what I wrote:

"These programs served my needs well."

I cannot remember if I tried to burn any WMV files before, but I clearly remember that everything I needed to burn to CDs or DVDs, the programs did it very well. I wanted to continue using Nero programs to do my work with CDs and DVDs. But I cannot because Nero upgraded me to the wrong program from Nero Lite.

You are missing the point with your other answers, just as other Nero employees keep missing the point. You and other keep giving me the correct information AFTER it is too late.

The point is that I was required by Nero Lite to upgrade. There was no reason for me to question that the upgrade could not perform the functions I needed. Nero programs have always performed all functions I needed in the past so I had no reason to suspect it would be any different with the required upgrade.

There was no documentation or information given with the upgrade requirement when I clicked on the Nero Lite button to burn my files. The program just said I needed to upgrade. It did not even say what the upgrade would be. I have never been misled by the Nero company in the past and I trust Nero again this time.

But this time I was wrong. Nero upgraded me to the wrong program and took my money and did not give it back AFTER I discovered that it was the wrong program.

I also did not know the other information you have just posted. And other employees at Nero have done the same thing for me. PLEASE read very carefully what I am going to write now:

*****It is not helpful to customers to tell them AFTER a mistake is made which program they should have purchased. Information about what program is required to do the needed jobs is required BEFORE an upgrade or purchase.*****

I am glad that you now tell me there are trial versions. But in English we have a saying:

"That's like locking the barndoor after the cows are gone."

It's too late to tell customers what they should have done when they follow the directions of your programs and trust the company to give them the right program for an upgrade.

Yes, you have offered me an upgrade to Nero Suite, and other Nero employees have mentioned other upgrades such as Nero Video. But no Nero employee has yet offered what the the best software companies do when they have made a mistake and not given a customer adequate information BEFORE purchase. That offer should be upgrade to the correct program at no extra cost. I am a loyal customer to software companies that do this. If Nero did this, I would feel that Nero would again be offering customer service following proper business ethics.

So, my final question to you is:

Since Nero upgraded me to the wrong program from Nero Lite, will you upgrade me to the correct program at no extra cost to me?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens,

I can see that there is a cultural difference here. You sound like you are blaming the customer, telling me what I should have done. (Your response sounds very logical within your culture but it forgets that I didn't know that I should have done something different since Nero did not provide any documentation to let me know that the upgrade program Nero chose for me might not meet my needs.)

Your mechanical response offends customers who do not share your cultural background. (I happen to be a professional who has studied anthropology and understands about cultural differences. Your cultural approach isn't necessarily wrong; it probably works well for you and others who share your culture; it just offends people who have a different culture.)

Let me explain what American business practice teaches its customer service people to say when something has gone wrong:

"Oh, I'm very sorry about that. What can we do for you to fix the problem?"

Sometimes they even say:

"Oh, so sorry. What can we do so you will be happy."

Usually sometime is worked out to correct the problem and so the customer is satisfied and wants to remain a customer. Your blaming the customer continues to add to my feeling of being misled by Nero when it sold me the wrong upgrade program.

Customer satisfaction with Nero AG will increase and so will company profits if you learn better cultural ways to correct problems with American customers. There are books to read, instructional courses to take, and other ways to learn how better to solve customer support issues with American customers.

I'm happy to buy from a company in any country. But I'm not happy when you tell me what I should have done AFTER something was already done and it was done based on trusting your company after many years of your programs working well for my needs. It was your company's responsibility to inform me properly at the time of my required program upgrade what the upgrade program could and could not do. It is not my responsibility to guess that maybe Nero will upgrade me to the wrong program so then I must research the issue long enough until I can try to understand which is the correct upgrade program.

At a minimum, when Nero requires an upgrade, the old program should not automatically upgrade to one certain program, but, instead, should send the customer to a website where he or she can study which upgrade program is needed.

Do you understand the difference between listing for the customer what they should have done, and, instead, in a friendly, sympathetic way trying to resolve the problem in a way that will meet the needs of the customer and company and leaves the customer feeling respected?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens,

One of the Nero employees told me I needed to upgrade to Nero Video 2014 to burn my video files to a DVD-video. So today I downloaded and installed NV2014. I have Imported a video file to NV2014 but I now find no way to burn it to my DVD. Did the employee tell me the wrong program?

You wrote above that I should upgrade to Nero Suite. I have been unable to locate a program called Nero Suite on the Nero website:

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/

I now must take your advice and use trialware before paying for any Nero program. Please give me a link to a program called Nero Suite.

By Nero Suite, do you mean Nero 2014 Platinum?

Or do you mean Nero 2014?

Or is it another program that is not listed on the webpage I gave in this message?

I still do not believe I should pay any extra for the mistake that Nero made, upgrading my Nero 10 Lite program to Burning Rom 2014 instead of asking me what needs I have so I would get the correct program.

Here in the U.S., when there is a problem, the best businesses try to resolve them through an approach called win-win. The problem is fixed; the customer wins by getting the correct product and the company wins by keeping a loyal customer who can tell others that the company resolved the problem after there was a mistake in a fair and sympathetic way.

Would Nero be willing to consider a win-win solution for upgrading me to the correct program? Is Nero willing to correct its mistake of upgrading me to the wrong product by allowing me an upgrade to the correct program at no extra charge to me?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't know what you selected when you opened Nero Video. If you selected DVD, DVD-Video, you will be in the Content screen where you imported your file. Clicking on Next takes you to the Menu Editing screen. Clicking on Next takes you to the preview screen. Clicking on Next, takes you to the burn screen where you just click on Burn.

If you selected Make Express Movie or Make Advanced Movie, you select the appropriate resolution, etc. and you will be in the Editing screen. Clicking on Next will take you back to the opening screen where you select DVD, DVD-Video under the create a project. That will take you to the Content screen and you would procede as above.

If you go to nero.com, Products, the opening picture states Platinum Suite. The idea is that a suite contains all the Nero applications.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens, you are wrong. You wrote:

"b) Nero Burning ROM can do everying Nero Burnlite can do.
    So, they are no features removed.
    Therefore, this is the correct update path."

What you wrote is true, but it is the wrong answer to my actual question. Please re-read my previous posts if necessary to answer my actual question about getting the right program. Nero Burnlite was changed by Nero so that it could no longer burn videos. It was even changed to something called Nero Quick Media. NQM program was even more crippled than Nero Burnlite became, over time. I miss the gold old days where Nero programs could do everything I asked them to do.

I had to click on the Upgrade button in Nero Lite and paid money to upgrade it. But Nero upgraded me to a program that cannot burn my videos so that I can view them on video. I trusted Nero to upgrade me to the correct program since I've always used Nero programs that burned every file correctly that I needed to have burned. I wish now that I had not trusted Nero, but it's been such a good company with such good programs that I had no reason not to trust it.

As an American, raised with American cultural values, I hate saying this, but I think you might actually feel respected if I am direct--since you have written within your culture that places a high value on directness. So I will answer you as you addressed me: You are wrong about several things in your message to me. But I don't think it will help fix the problem about getting the wrong Nero program to keep telling each other that we are wrong.

To resolve the problem, we need to find a solution that will fix the upgrade mistake that was made. (Remember, I did not choose the upgrade program. It was chosen for me by the Nero computerized upgrade system and I was given no documentation to know whether or not it was the right program. I trusted Nero.) I am right about this, not wrong!

Shall we try to write to each other in a way that feels respectful to each of us? Shall we try to find a solution to resolve the remaining problem about the incorrect program? I'm honest in saying that I am still confused about which program I should have upgraded to (even though I was forced by my only remaining Nero program to choose the wrong program). I have posted a separate message titled something like "Which Nero program will burn video formats to DVD?" Please answer my question either here or in this post.

Danke!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, as far as I know I selected each of the right buttons in Nero Video 2014. But the DVD will not play as a DVD in my computer. It only can display folders and files when I use Windows Explorer to see if any files were actually burned to the DVD. The DVD will not accept any other files, giving an error message that the DVD is full. This should indicate that the file was properly burned to the DVD and that the DVD has been finalized so that it can be viewed in a DVD player.

I am unable to understand what, if anything, I had not done correctly so that I cannot view the video on the DVD.

I need to find a Nero program that burns my video files so that I can view them. I have already spent $32.90 (U.S.) for the upgrade that Nero required me to get for Nero 10 Lite, but it was the wrong program. I can't keep spending money on other Nero programs hoping that one of them will work as well as programs from other companies, such as Windows DVD Maker that is included with the latest versions of Windows. I prefer to use a Nero program since I like the traditional user-friendly interface on Nero programs, of course, if the newer programs still have that kind of interface.

Do you have any ideas how I can find a Nero program which is user-friendly and burns my wmv and other video files to a DVD so that I can view the DVD?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• > Nero Burnlite was changed by Nero so that it could no longer burn videos.

Again: There was NO change.
    Nero Burnlite could NEVER convert video files to dvd-video standard.
    Of cause it could burn video files as they are..
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When you viewed the disc in Windows Explorer, it should show the Video_TS folder with .ifo, .bup and .vob files, as I discussed in your other thread.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, that is correct, as already wrote, perhaps in another thread. The files you just listed are in the correct folders on the DVD..

Oh, I just was able to view the DVD on my DVD and a different computer from the one I used to burn the DVD. Same viewing software on both computers.

This is progress!

Thank you
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Jens asked if you can play the disc on your standalone DVD player. Do you have one?

Can you play the disc in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I missed your comments on being able to play the disc. Sounds good.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• My problem with Burning Rom 2014 has been resolved. Even though Nero refused to refund my payment for selling me the wrong program, my credit card company was able to get the refund for me.

I uninstalled and deleted Burning Rom 2014. I'm sure it's a good program for some functions and for people who understand the technical language used in the program. It still could not burn the files I needed, however, even if a technician worked with the program.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm