Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero MediaHome 2014: Changing physical location of items

Hello:

I have started to use Nero MediaHome 2014 to manage the photos and videos I have on the hard drive. However, I have decided I would really like to move my pictures to another partition or another hard drive completely and I'm unsure on the best way to do that. My possibly flawed understanding is that there is an underlying database maintaining all the metadata Nero MediaHome needs to locate the files, so I could not simply move the files and expect not to have problems.

Suppose I wanted to move all of my pictures from the "My Pictures" folder provided in my Windows user profile and move it to another directory such as "d:\pictures". How can I do that without losing the information I have already created about the pictures (such their associated albums and whatnot).
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi Buck-

Put the files wherever you want them, whether it's on a different partition, a secondary hard drive or connected external drive.

In Nero MediaHome, select Options, Library.

Select "Add Manually". Browse to the folder where your photos and videos are and add it to the Library.Your photos and videos will then be available in Photos & Videos, Find. I'm using the "singular" in my description but, I think you get my drift.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I was able to figure out how to add directories to the library, but the problem I'm having is with regards to moving items I already have in the library from one path to another. If I move them, I get a message from Nero MediaHome saying that the files have removed and then it proceeds to remove those entries in the library from their respective albums.

I've put a number of pictures into albums and tagged faces and whatnot and I'd rather not have to do that all over again just because I want to change the path where the actual images are stored. Is there any way to move the physical location of an item imported into the Nero MediaHome library?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• The behavior of Nero MediaHome (NMH) that you described in your first paragraph is, logically, expected.

That's a complicated question regarding tagged faces and I'm not qualified to answer it. I mean, you had a folder in the library containing files to which you provided face information to NMH. It seems that NMH notes the paths to the files in conjunction with the face recognition. If you change the path, apparently NMH loses the face recognition information. You would have to ask tech support if there is a way to change the path to the files without losing that information. If you do, please let us know their answer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• For those who care:

It *is* possible to back up the MediaHome database, which is an SQLite database
    located in the user profile directory:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Nero\MediaHub.1.db

The only problem is that if you go around changing the paths to the files it references, you lose your metadata. This is a really glaring problem that prevents me from relying too much on MediaHome for organizing my files; I'm pretty much stuck with the physical location of whatever files I choose to import into it. As far as I know this is still a problem with Nero 2015.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since Nero MediaHome is common to all versions back to v10, it would behave the same way in v2015. I'm not sure what you're after.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Buck,
    I haven't tried seeing the effect of using Windows itself to move (for argument's sake) the entire "My Pictures" to a different drive....

I wonder if Nero references the logical "My Pictures" rather than the physical location of that folder?

As in, right-clicking on "My Pictures" in Windows Explorer, selecting the "location" tab and relocating the whole thing from C: drive to D: drive for example?

I'm not feeling brave enough to test that!

However, for someone in desperate need to regain space on their C: drive
    I wonder if Nero would still retain the metadata after such a move?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When you add a folder to the Library, all you're doing is referencing it's location. That is probably stored in the .db file. if you move the files in that folder somewhere else, they won't show up in NMH. I still don't know what the problem is. It's time for my second black russian so I'm getting out of here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm