Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Nero Platinum 2014 - Creating Slide Shows on DVD with Nero Video

Having some problems with Nero Video attempting to create Slide Shows on a DVD-Video Disk.

1. When clicking on 'Make Movie' or 'Make Movie' it moves to the Nero Video edit screen. However the sample files which usually appear with this are missing, and it will not accept any files to be pasted from Media Browser.

2. Where files are input directly, the 'Themes' button is inoperative, even though the full themes package should be included and Themes do work when slide shows are created in MediaHome.
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • Where are you clicking on Make Movie? V14 has Make Advanced Movie or Make Express Movie.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I’m frustrated
    From the Nero Video Home Screen:
    'Create & Export' DVD > DVD Video
    Project Content Screen opens
    On the right hand pane, 'Make > Movie' or 'Make> Slide Show'
    Brings up Nero Video edit screen
    This EITHER will not allow media files from MediaHome to be pasted at all, OR if it does, will not allow 'Themes' to be applied to the project.
    The 'Themes' button is not greyed out, but produces nothing if clicked.

On testing further:
    Themes generally only seem to be available in the MediaHome Slide Show editor, and not at all in Nero Video - neither the basic nor the platinum ones are available.
    You should be able to pass a Slide Show from MediaHome to Nero Video - this is not working, only an empty project is opened in NV.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole product. Something seems to be seriously awry in the integration of the various modules.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Okay, I misunderstood where you were. I think that when you make either selection in the Content screen, it only works with the files you've imported.

When you open NV, select Make Slide Show under Edit. You should be able to do everything you want and all options will be available. After you've finished your edits and click on Next, you will see the Create and Export option to select the type of disc project you want.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m unconcerned
    Thanks for the response.

Wither is describing what should happen, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be what is currently happening. Somehow the 'Nero Video' app had got out of step with 'MediaHome' and among other things didn't appear to recognise the existence of the Themes added as apart of the 'Platinum' product.

Anyway I've now re-installed Nero 12 and the 'free' MediaHome, and everything works again now as I expected and as Wither helpfully describes.

Glad I only bought Nero 14 as part of the recent 7 day offer and didn't shell out the full £70 odd demanded at launch!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I'm done until about 8 PM EST.

In the editing screen, the Themes won't be available until you drag a file to the timeline or the storyboard.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Earlier I found that the themes were available in v14 regardless of whether I started out in the Content screen and selected Make Movie or Make Slide Show or Edit or started out in Make Advanced Movie, Make Slide Show or Make Express Movie. That's dependent on what I said in my last post.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Same for me with version 12. Problems as described only after "upgrading" to 2014!

May have another go at installing 2014 at some point, but will make a point of creating a system restore point first though.

Interesting point - assuming you can have both versions installed at the same time, which one does MediaHome integrate with? (I understand this effectively to be a standalone product not part of the main package).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It's common to v10 through 14. If you look in the Nero folders, there will be one called KM. That's all the Nero MediaHome files. It's independent of the various Nero suite folders.

I have v9-v14 installed on this system. If I open NMH and create a slide show and then click on Nero Video, it opens NV 14.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Ok, tried to reinstall Nero 2014, pretty much the same result.

Before installing the Content Pack, Slide Shows from MediaHome will port across to Nero Video 2014, but any Themes present in those Slide Shows can't be edited in NV, the 'Themes' button is greyed out.

After installing the 2014 Content Pack, Slide Shows with existing Themes won't port across to Nero Video 2014 - it starts but with an empty project. Within Nero Video, the Themes button remains greyed out and inoperative whether or not there are files in the time line.

Basically, within 2014 the Content Pack is not binding properly with the other applications. Is it possible that there is some conflict between the 2014 content and projects created including Nero 12 versions of it?

Given that the added content is identical between successive versions of the product (certainly 11, 12 and 2014) it seems pretty poor systems design to require it to be separately downloaded and installed for each version anyway.

Anyway, happily back to using Nero 12 again, 2014 Platinum uninstalled. Glad I didn't pay the £80 odd they are currently asking for it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When you install v14, are you installing it on your C: drive?

After installing v14, are you running the check for updates before and after installing the content pack?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes. The full sequence of actions was as follows:

Starting point: Nero 12 Platinum fully updated, KwikMedia updated with free download of MediaHome. Package operates in stable and fully acceptable manner.

Step 1: Run Nero 2014 upgrade as administrator (file Nero2014_Platinum-15.0.02200.exe, downloaded at time of purchase). Input purchase key. Installation completes.

Step 2: Open ControlCenter. Shows both Nero versions (12 and 2014) with keys. Check for and run updates (there are several). Interestingly, does not show 2014 Content Pack as an 'Available Application' although not yet installed.

Step 3: MediaHome operates as normal, with Themes etc. presumably inherited from Nero 12. Slide Shows pass successfully to Nero Video 2014, although latter does not appear to recognise the Themes and additional effects etc. are not available.

Step 4: The Nero 2014 start screen 'Content' button does however indicate additional content is available and invites download. Run Content Pack as administrator (file Nero2014_ContentPack2014-15.0.00200.exe). No further prompt for product key, installation completes.

Step 5: MediaHome still operates as before, with Themes etc. operative. However no longer communicates with Nero Video (empty project opened), Themes etc. still unavailable in Nero Video, unpredictable results when opening video projects created with the previous version.

Step 6: Uninstall all Nero 2014 products, stand by for System Restore in case MediaHome database corrupted (not needed on most recent occasion). Nero 12 back and working!

Note that the first time I tried this last week, I had uninstalled Nero 12 (but not MediaHome) first. Same result. Suggestions of other permutations or actions that might work would be welcome!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• NMH in V12 is the same as in V14. Your problem is caused by a conflict in using components of NV by NMH. You can not have V14 and V12 side by side.

Uninstall all Nero SW and install only V14.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There seem to be conflicting opinions about this, however I suspect there must be some conflict between versions.

The first time I tried the upgrade, I had previously uninstalled Nero 12. With hindsight I should probably have uninstalled MediaHome as well, as this presumably contains elements 'inherited' from Nero 12 Kwik Media e.g. content. You presumably also need to manually delete all Nero related files and programs, and Nero folders in AppsData/Local.

This is rather a nuclear option as you presumably lose all facial recognition and other data held in the NMH database.

Before trying this again, I will create a System Restore point and make sure I have restorable copies of the Nero and Nero_AG folders in AppsData/Local - so if necessary I can get back to where I am now.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This is a partial snapshot of my taskbar. 5 versions of Nero installed and all work.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If your v12 is fully updated before trying to install v14, why are you installing the free NMH? The v12 updates should include the full version.

Don't use the Available Applications. This has been buggy since v11.

After installing v14 and running all the updates, click on Creative Content in the Nero Launcher to install the packes.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm