nero recode 2014 nvidia cuda hardware acceleration disabled after Geforce 340.52 driver update. any solution ?

so after re-installing nero platinum 2014 after re-installing windows, and after a nvidia driver update I was welcomed by ( the display hardware does not support hardware acceleration or the driver is not up to date) I tried updating nero recode 2014 but it didn`t fix the problem.
any solution I really don`t want to install an older graphic driver cuz of gaming.
thank you all.
3 people have
this question
+1
  • NVIDIA and Nero are both aware of some of the problems this driver update causes. However, I don't fault NVIDIA in regards to releasing it for it's intended purpose but you would think they could have made it backwards compatible for those people who have older graphics cards. About the only thing you can do is roll back to something like 323.xx.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• thanks for the quick reply, I rely heavily on using the hardware acceleration for converting my gameplay and putting videos into my ipad, I think it worked fine with 33x.xx so I will roll back and see if it works or not until the next nero recode update.
    thanks again. I`ve tried all kind of video converters and nero recode is by far the best and less buggy, the only one that can convert 1080p videos in 60fps using hardware acceleration.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I hear you. I only mentioned the 323.xx driver because that's the one I was using before I installed 340.52. I realize there are others but I'm slow to update drivers. I have a 560 card so the new driver doesn't really do anything for me.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• same here currently using my laptop so I am on gt650 sli, I kinda suspected it was a driver problem this kinda stuff happens all the time but you kinda assured me and saved me time trying to troubleshoot before rolling back
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It's confusing to me because even the latest NVIDIA cards, like the 780 and 790, use CUDA cores. The driver update really is to accomodate the v9 chipsets from Intel which affect PCI Express.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yeah your probably right, now that u mentioned 7xx gone are the days where u buy a new gpu and feel the difference, most modern games are not so demanding, u can play almost most modern games on high with my gt650m which is considered kinda outdated and on ultra almost all games on gtx670 sli, even the converting speed is almost identical between the laptop and desktop. Any plans to upgrade to the GeForce 8 series? or ur skipping for 2016?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you're asking if I'm planning to upgrade to a series 8 card, the answer is no. They're expensive and I'm happy with what I have. I'm not a gamer.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• good to know, I`m thinking of skipping the 8 series as well, on a different topic I finally figured out how to convert and put videos into my ipad so now I am so thrilled :)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi all,

We have aknowledged this problem, and will get in contact with Nvidia to find a solution.
    In the meantime, a rollback to the previous NVidia drivers should solve the problem.

Best regards,
    NeroUser
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Has there been any progress on resolving this? Is there an ETA for a fix - either from Nvidia or else from Nero?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Just installed the latest Nvidia drivers and see this still has not been fixed. I am not sure who (Nero or Nvidia) needs to fix what, but some advice or updates from either company would be nice, even if it is just a "we're still working on it" and preferably a rough ETA. You have just released Nero 2015, how about fixing you're existing software first? you're lack of transparent support for existing (2014 edition) software does not inspire great confidence or desire to upgrade to the next edition.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You can get modded drivers from the well known Guru3D forum here or here.

With those drivers the CUDA support should be activated again.

But Nero should also implement the NVENC API, so that at least nVidia 6xx and higher cards can use the new hardware acceleration.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• 2 months have passed and no solution yet, I am currently using my desktop which has two gtx 670 4gb and I won`t rollback since I use it for gaming, latest drivers are crucial to get the best performance out of new games, when is Nero gonna release an update to fix this, and I wonder if nero recode 2015 has the same issue or it`s optimized for cuda.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There is a direct download of an nvidia .exe file that can install the CUDA drivers as "standalone" at this address - note, the file is quite large, 1.1.GB - I haven't run it as I am sticking with an older version of the normal nvidia drivers, but I have heard that this installer works ...

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    The new 2015 version also suffers from the same issue. Puts the blame for the problem squarely on Nero if they cannot release a new version that works with the then current version of the driver.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• guys Lucky phil1 solution solved the problem! he shared a direct link of Cuda drivers that nero recode recognizes, download and installation is straight forward.
    great thanks for your phil u the hardware acceleration tick is available again :):)
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• To use the CUDA acceleration, you'll have to install the whole installation package, which contains *taaa daaaa* an older nVidia driver set (332.88). Only installing the CUDA Toolkit doesn't work.

So I think I'll stick with the latest drivers since I don't really use CUDA but IQS because of its superior speed and output quality.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• i`m afraid I can confirm this, no wonder my sli config defaulted Nero will still have to come up with an update, I still can`t wrap my ahead around how could they release a newer version when the previous one is not bug free yet. this doesn`t even make since.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Sorry to learn that it puts 332.88 over the top of the newer drivers... :(
    What happens when you install the newest "normal" nvidia drivers ... does the CUDA remain after that?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• yes it remains but when I open nero recode the hardware acceleration botton is grayed out, so apparently cuda drivers is tied with the normal driver, the toolkit is made for developers and such.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m undecided
    Although I see "answered" I did not see the actual Problem described apart from a vague ref in Mister M’s Post of 1 month ago....
    This I what I did find out & How I did Resolve by a workaround ... :
    1. Nvidea did announce since quite some time that it would drop the direct CUDA Video Encoder support for building applications with the CUDA Video Encoder interface, [NVCUVENC.DLL]. It was announced to be deprecated and that it would be dropped in a subsequent release. It has still been available in the CUDA Toolkit release up to the SDK6.5. Moving forward, the recommendation was to use a newer video encoding interface, NVENC, which is available at https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-v...

2. The NVCUVENC driver module was depreciated in R337 and has been removed in R340. We recommend developers to use the NVENC SDK for H.264 encode. This also requires a Kepler or Maxwell GPU to use. For developers and users that need to support for NVCUVENC, R337 or earlier drivers are required and can be found here
    So it is the NVCUVENC, - which is the older CUDA video encoding API -, which has been removed and has been replaced by the NVENC which utilizes video encoding hardware built into 600-series cards and above...
    The proper solution is to update or change your video encoding app to support NVENC. If your current video encoding app doesn't support NVENC yet, then better contact the app's vendor to get them to quickly add NVENC support to their video encoding app since Nvidia has removed the old NVCUVENC API from the drivers 340.xx onwards....
    The problem is that even the latest 2015 NERO Apps do not implement this interface yet.. (I have 2015 Platinum). I hope someone can give us a clue on when this support will become available...
    (And for older nVidea Card owners maybe an application that can fallback on the older ITF when such an older card is in the system) (The New NVENC interface will only work from the 600 Series onwards.
    WORKAROUND : {Using latest nVidea 344.48 driver) Find the Latest Copies of the NVCUVENC.DLL files (I used those from Driver 337.94). If not on your system, a Web find on “nvcuvenc_337.94.rar” archive (1417 Kb) might help, and copy the respective DLL files in the Respective Windows\SYSTEM32 and windows\SysWOW64 Directories. Restart. This should make the CUDA options back available in in “Older” apps that does not yet support the NVENC interface...
    Did work for me... Hope the problem gets fixed fast in a NERO Update. (Did have same issue in Mediacoder_x64 App but that one did get it fixed in a recent update (Build 5660) ...)
    • view 2 more comments
    • Which DLL files did you copy? Just the nvcuvenc32.dll & nvcuvenc64.dll or where there others?
    • Chris,
      In the [nvcuvenc_337.94.rar] file I did refer to above, there are 2 dll's : one in each of the respective subdirs System32 and SysWOW64. Both DLLs are called the same: "nvcuvenc.dll" but are different in size ref the read-out in the respective file properties below...
      The System32 one is 2.65 MB (2 785 568 bytes) Version 8.17.13.3794 / date marked 1/06/1014
      The SysWOW64 one is 2.3 MB (2 423 344 bytes)/ Version 8.17.13.3794 / date marked 1/06/1014
      Copying both to the respective directories on my system did restore the CUDA functionality as described above. So yes it did work on the 2015 version before the January update...
      The January NERO 2015 platinum update did report to fix the CUDA for the GTX600+ family but this wont help for the older cards (as per my description above...
      I'm not sure if the latest NERO 2015 fix did prevent the above workaround to work on older cards. I Hope not but I Can't test as I have both the January NERO Update + a GTX670 Card....
      Hope this helps...
      Jan
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m happy
    I just did the steps to instructed and yes it surprisingly worked!!, I hope this doesn`t mess with the drivers or anything, but now the cuda tick is available again, thanks alot, should`ve signed in and checked the forum month ago :))
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m glad and sad
    Glad it helped. ;-)
    I did not experience any reverse effect so far. I assume the hooks are still in the code of the newer drivers so when the old DLL is detected the 'old' cuda way is available for use....

Unfortunately not seen any update / reaction from NERO itself on the topic ....
    Must say I'm a bit disappointed on that.
    ;-((

The turnaround time for a proper fix was much faster for the afore mentioned Mediacoder App that did have the same issue... So i still hope NERO will come up with a proper fix soon.... It remains a question on how long the trick will stand with any newer driver versions that might come up... Let's hope it will keep working so we can profit from the new newest drivers and don't lose functionality until the NERO fix is available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m silly
    yeah I`m really grateful for your effort, I`m not happily converting my videos again, surprisingly not getting much attention, nero 2014 is the only video converter among the giant which is able to convert 1080p videos at 60fps using Cuda, so for gamers it`s a most.
    and this issue seemsed to be wide spread among other applications as well, I think even adobe premier, but nero is taking tooo much time to fix this, it has been like 4 months now already, it`s a small bug we`re not asking them to build a new nero HQ to fix it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The update to v2015 which fixed this problem appears to work only if you have a 600 series card or later.

You can look at the portions of this thread in the German forum which are in English-

http://forum.nero.de/nero/topics/wird...

In there, I mentioned that the v2015 fix doesn't work with my GTX 560 card. Since 5.5 said that NVIDIA determines what is an "old" card.

What Gymwood said about 600 series and later cards appears to apply here.

In a portion that is in German, Since 5.5 implies that there won't be an update to resolve this issue in v2014.

The text in German is this-

"Gibt es für die 2014 er Version auch ein Update?

Hallo Herr Stiller, nein, leider nicht."

This is the Bing translation:

"Is there for the 2014 he version update?

Hello, Mr. Stiller, no, unfortunately not."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m having expectations.
    So it seems that my explanation still stands. The new NVENC based encoding will work only on the 600 series and above. The older CUDA encoding based on the old interface and depending on the NVCUVENC.DLL has been depreciated from the new nVidea Drivers. (340.xx onwards)
    I has a look to the German thread you refer to. (My German is good enough to follow that...)
    The trick I explained above by copying the NVCUVENC.DLL in the newer drivers does provide a workaround that should fix it also for V2014 (At minimum with Driver up to 344.48 which I’ve running now)
    I did not check/check out what the newest V2015 update did bring along--- Just did get that one pushed through the V2015 updates today.
    I assume .... . From what I read in the referred thread and in the Nov 19 On Line Updates thread from NERO, that it is supposed to support the new NVENC acceleration interface on the >600 series AND the legacy NVCUVENC interface for older cards. I assume the latter might require still to apply a manual fix if you ever apply new nVidea drivers on a card <then the 600 series...S0 my trick above with the DLL might help still in that case...
    Unless the new NERO update does something for that ?? (There are not much details in the release note on how they did implement the NVENC and the NVCUENC support ...)
    As I’ve got a GTX670 on my main machine (Win8.1 X64) I have to check on how V2015 behaves now.
    I’ll try to find some time in checking on that in the days/week to come.....)
    • Since5.5 simply said that NVIDIA determines what are older cards in regards to fixing this problem. Since there were no further details on that, I just deferred to your explanation which seems reasonable. I don't have time to go to the NVIDIA website and check it out. Since they have extensive release notes, there might be an explanation in the notes for a particular driver.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just applied the latest updates to Nero 2015. Hardware acceleration is now enabled. I have a GTX 770 - so I am not sure if this works for all cards.

I checked Nero 2014 that is installed on the same computer - no such luck - Hardware acceleration is still disabled. (I have not tried copying the DLL as yet)

Just some observations based on the hardware that I have
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• using just nero recode 2014 I updated my nvidia card to the latest 344.75 and yes the hardware acceleration was greyed out so I paid for the full nero 2015 as it was cheap on offer and nero recode hardware acceleration was working. BUT when I converted my video using the same specs (h.24/mpeg-4 avc), the video came out rubbish. it was grainy and a bit choppy and the quality was halved compare to recode 2014. I expected same or better quality. I even tried 340.52 and was rubbish too so I ended up imaging my pc (macrium reflect) back to recode 2014 with the original 337.88 to get my videos top hd quality again
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• in case if anyone is still having the issue, here is a link of the file that need to be downloaded, it has the same path names just replace the files in the path and you will be able to have access to hardware acceleration again. http://www.mediafire.com/download/245...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• upgraded to gtx 1070 yesterday and now it stopped working again. adding the extra 2 files doesn't work anymore :( would updating to nero 2017 would fix this?
    • view 8 more comments
    • if I can get a nero recode 17 upgrade for 20$ or something then I would do it, but I couldn't justify 60$ for the whole package, and nero recode upgrade for 35$ is still too much for me. after installing a new update for the capture software it encodes directly to compressed MP4 so I don't need to convert it anymore.
    • I can understand that. Right now, they're offering a bundle with V2017 Platinum for $45. That's a great price. The offer appears to be good through Dec. 31.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm