I’m frustrated

Nero Recode-Platinum 2014

I cannot encode videos from youtube. Instructions are quite clear but nothing works.
Realplayer does it with ease. I purchased Nero Platinum because I thought it would it easier.
Can anyone guide me through the process?
4 people have
this problem
+1
    Fred:
    I see that your question hasn't attracted any attention from the Nero employees "participating" in this forum. IMHO, the "import online video" function of Recode hasn't worked properly since its inception as part of Nero 12. Also, I am not aware that Nero has ever officially acknowledged the problems. And, as you have obviously seen, they just keep advertising the capability to attract new users! Here's a link to what I think is the latest "discussion" of this issue:

Need Help on Capturing YouTube Video
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• You have obviously answered my question.
    Might bring it up to Nero as False advertising.
    I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if Nero replies.
    Keep you informed
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi Fred,

What is the exact problem that you are experiencing? I have just personally tried it and had no problem.
    Please note that for the online-import-function at Nero Recode we recommend to use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Which browser do you use?
    Please describe the problem in detail, and let us know if you receive a specific error message.
    Best regards!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• To encode video file from Youtube, first open your Nero Recode, choose "Import Online Video" , then go to Youtube and play the video on the site(it will be better to use IE as internet browser), after the playback finished, then the video should saved as cache file in your computer. Now go back to Nero Recode window, if the video does not show in Nero recode, click the "Refresh" button, then the video which played on Youtube should show in Nero Recode, you can simply import into Nero Recode and then save it to your hard drive.

If there are any problems, please kindly send your problem to techsupport@nero.com, we will then analysis for you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

NeroUser and NathanY:

Unbelieveable! I first reported difficulties with importing files from YouTube and Facebook on December 12, 2012. After several email exchanges, I received the following email (underlining added):

Dear Mr. Liberi,

thank you for your e-mail.

As discussed with my collegues, the import-function is optimized for Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    It's not sure if IE 9 is mentioned but probably as Windows XP and it's latest IE (ver 8) will become "End of Life" within April 2013.

From this information if your hardware fits to the Windows 7 or 8 requirements we recommend to update/upgrade to the newer version.

On my test-environment (Windows 7, latest Firefox and Internet Explorer 9) it sometimes works. But also not unerring.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards

Christian Zastera
    Nero Support

Since I was exhausted over this and other issues, I moved Nero 12 from my Windows XP system to this Windows 8 system. The online import seemed to work, but then several months later:

Recode 12 Imports from YouTube Not Working on Windows 8 Pro Now!

In the referenced links and the email quoted above, you can readily find numerous users who have difficulties with this including:

Christian Zastera, a Nero employee
    Mister_M, a Nero MVP (and initial supporter of Recode's online import function)
    wither (now Wither 1), the most prolific Nero supporter I've come across.

Have either of you actually tried using the Recode online import function? And, by "using", I mean more than once!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Fred,

I believe YouTube is frequently changing the format of how they encode their online videos and they offer the file in the format they encoded them at the time. Means older ones will work, newer ones maybe not and so on. Other portals seem to be much more stable in their encoding procedures, e.g. I have never had issues with videos from Vimeo.com.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5:

So, does this amount to acknowledgement that Nero 2014 Recode does not function properly and will things like the below be removed from the Nero advertisements?

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi Omega Tester,
    I will check with the responsible team. Thx for the hint.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5:
    This seems to be an acknowledgement of failure. I can assure you that it is more than YouTube "changing" its format. So, why not just drop the whole idea? There are many fully functional free, or nearly free, apps available to do the job. And, they save the downloaded file, an option not offered by Nero Recode. More hints:

The Recode Intro Screen:

The Recode help file:

The Recode .pdf manual:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The premise is that when you play a video in YouTube, it will be in the IE cache (correct word?). As Omega Tester knows, we messed with this issue to extremes in the old forum. I've found that playing a video in YouTube does not always result in it being cached. I can't explain this behavior. Some files work and some don't. As a result, I think it could be an IE setting somewhere. I've have never taken the time to explore the settings. I use IE 8 in both Vista and Win 7. I don't like IE v9 and later because I can't make it look the way I want it to.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• As far as I can tell, Nero has removed all references to this "capability" in Nero 2014 advertisements. I have interpreted that as an acknowledgement, finally, that it simply cannot be relied upon. Conjecturing that the fault lies with IE settings is a little strange at this point, there being no apparent basis for the conjecture. More red herring, I suppose.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm