Nero Video 2014 needs much longer to complete projects

Nero Vision 2014 needs 4h 30min to complete a 2 hour DVD-video project using fast encoding.

The same 2 hour DVD-video projects in Nero Vision 12 take approx. 1 hour 30min.

Has anybody else encountered this?
3 people have
this problem
+1
  • This reply was removed on 2013-10-09.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2013-10-10.
    see the change log
  • Using MPEG2 files Nero Video 2014 takes approx. 4h 30min to complete the 2 hour DVD-Video project. However, using WTV files then Nero Video 2014 takes approx. 1h 30min to complete the DVD-Video project.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• If I import MPEG2 files with resolution 544x576 into Nero Video 2014, Smart Encoding enabled, 2-pass encoding, and Automatic 'Fit to Disc' enabled, for a 2 hour DVD-Video project, then Nero Video 2014 needs 4h 30min to complete the project (write to hard drive).

If I import the same MPEG2 files with resolution already upsized to 720x576 into Nero Video 2014, Smart Encoding enabled, 2-pass encoding, and Automatic 'Fit to Disc' enabled, for a 2 hour DVD-Video project, then Nero Video 2014 needs much less time of 1h 30min to complete the project (write to hard drive).

If I import WTV files with resolution 544x576 into Nero Video 2014, Smart Encoding enabled, 2-pass encoding, and Automatic 'Fit to Disc' enabled, for a 2 hour DVD-Video project, then Nero Video 2014 needs 1h 30min to complete the project (write to hard drive).

So for Nero Video 2014 to upsize MPEG2 files from 544x576 to 720x576 for my 2 hour DVD-Video project, Nero Video 2014 needs 4h 30min to complete the DVD-Video project but only needs 1h 30min to upsize WTV files from 544x576 to 720x576 to complete the same 2 hour DVD-Video project. And if the MPEG2 files are already at a resolution of 720x576 then Nero Video 2014 takes 1h 30min on my system to complete the DVD-Video project.

Does this look like a bug?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I don't think it's a bug. I think it's a difference in the codecs. However, if someone like Mister_M or a Nero employee doesn't respond, you should pose the question to tech support. Inquisitive minds would like to know.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for your reply, Wither.

Since my WTV files are encoded using MPEG2, I don't understand how using actual MPEG2 files in Nero Video 2014 would require 4h 30min to complete the DVD-Video project but the WTV (MPEG2) files require only 1h 30 min for Nero Video 2014 to complete the same DVD-Video project.

"Multiple data streams (audio and video) are wrapped in a container with the file extension WTV. Video is encoded using the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standard and audio using MPEG-1 Layer II or Dolby Digital AC-3 (ATSC A/52).[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTV_(Win...

However, importing MP4 files into Nero Video 2014 with resolution 480x360 which require upsizing to 720x576 and encoding to MPEG2, Nero Video 2014 completes this 2 hour DVD-Video project in 2 hours 15 minutes (write to hard drive).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It's not that simple. This is from Wikipedia-

Multiple data streams (audio and video) are wrapped in a container with the file extension WTV. Video is encoded using the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standard and audio using MPEG-1 Layer II or Dolby Digital AC-3 (ATSC A/52).[1] The format extends these standards by including metadata about the content and digital rights management.[2] Unlike the earlier DVR-MS format, WTV does not use ASF as the underlying container format.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I've recoded WTV files to MPEG2, settings in Nero Recode 12 are: resolution 720x576, Quality: Very Good (higher bit rate), Super Resolution. I imported the MPEG2 files into Nero Video 2014 and the DVD-Video project length (time in Editing screen) is approx. 2 hours. Smart Encoding is enabled and all other settings are set to 'Automatic' including 'Automatic Fit to Disc'.

Surprisingly Nero Video 2014 reports that the output DVD-Video project size is 2.45GB of 4.38GB.

I recoded the same WTV files to MPEG2 but in Nero Recode 12 I set the Quality to 'Good' (lower bit rate). After importing the MPEG2 files into Nero Video 2014, and using the same settings as before, Nero Video 2014 reports that the output DVD-Video project size is 3.45GB of 4.38GB, instead of 2.45GB of 4.38GB.

The only difference in the MPEG2 files imported into Nero Video 2014 is that the first set of MPEG2 files have a higher bit rate than the second set, yet the output DVD-Video projects have a size difference of 1GB, and using Automatic Fit to Disc the output DVD-Video project should be 4.37GB of 4.38GB.

So this means Automatic 'Fit to Disc' is not working properly in Nero Video 2014 when using these Nero Recode 12 MPEG2 files?

If I disable Smart Encoding, then Nero Video 2014 reports the size of the output DVD-Video project is 4.37GB of 4.38GB. So this means it's Smart Encoding not working properly in Nero Video 2014 when using these Nero Recode 12 MPEG2 files?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-10-12.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2013-10-12.
    see the change log
  • Interesting. I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer an intelligent reason for this behavior. If Mister_M happened to see this, he could probably explain it. Where is that rascal when we need him? :)

You could ask tech support about it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for replying, Wither.

Back to my original problem, I've just started another 2 hour DVD-Video project in Nero Video 2014 using MPEG2 files, Smart Encoding enabled, 2-pass encoding, with Automatic Fit to Disc, and Nero Video 2014 is reporting it requires a long time of 5h 40min to complete the project (write to hard drive). Surely this cannot be right.

If anyone imports an MPEG2 file into Nero Video 2014 to make a DVD-Video project, and drags the MPEG2 file to the timeline as many times as necessary so as to reach 2 hours in the timeline, with Smart Encoding enabled, 2-pass encoding, with Automatic Fit to Disc, then press 'Write' to write to hard drive, does Nero Video 2014 report it needs at least 4 hours or more to complete ?

If I use WTV files instead of MPEG2 files to make a 2 hour DVD-Video project using the above-mentioned settings, then Nero Video 2014 completes the project in approx. 1h 30min.
    • What is the percentage of SmartEncoding shown on the Burn Options screen?
    • With both MPEG2 and WTV files, resolution 544x576, the SmartEncoding percentage is 0%.

With these MPEG2 files, NV2014 takes over 4 hours to complete the DVD-Video project but with these WTV files NV2014 takes under 2 hours.

With MPEG2 files with a resolution of 720x576 (WTV files recoded to MPEG2 using Nero Recode 12), the SmartEncoding percentage is 98%, and NV2014 completes the DVD-Video project in about 20 minutes, IF the project in the timeline is equal to, or less than, 1h 50min.

If the project timeline goes over 1h 50min (say 2 hours) then 'Automatic Fit to Disc' does not work properly and the output project is 2.45GB out of 4.38GB (when importing MPEG2 files with a resolution of 720x576).

Thanks, Omega Tester.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I think that most people have found that the time reported to be required to encode a project is higher than actual. That's just an observation from reading so many threads in the forum (old and new).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• nbdg223:

I have joined six copies of a ~20 minute MPEG-2 video that I made with Recode 12 a while back.

With SmartEncoding enabled, Nero 12 estimates 4 minutes, Nero 2014, 12 minutes.
    With SmartEncoding disabled using Nero 2014 Video:
    The 1-Pass estimate is 42 minutes; the 2-pass estimate, 1 hr., 20 minutes.

Note also that unlike Nero 11, the "improved" Nero Video does not automatically switch from SmartEncoding to re-encoding to "automatically fit-to-disc".

• Omega Tester, many thanks indeed. I assume your MPEG2 files have a resolution of 720x576 ?

With MPEG2 files with a resolution of 720x576 (WTV files recoded to MPEG2 using Nero Recode 12), the SmartEncoding percentage is 98%, and NV2014 completes the DVD-Video project in about 20 minutes, IF the project in the timeline is equal to, or less than, 1h 50min.

I recode WTV files with a of resolution 544x576, using Nero Recode 12, to MPEG2. The output MPEG2 files also have a resolution of 544x576 (resolution setting = Automatic).

Now if I import these MPEG2 files into Nero Video 2014 to make a DVD-Video project with a timeline of 2 hours, Nero Video 2014 takes approx. 4h 30 min to complete.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Wither, yes ocassionally I find Nero Video completes the project in about 10 - 20 minutes earlier than indicated in remaining time.

At the moment Nero Video 2014 is working and is reporting 3h 7min has elapsed (correct) and Nero Video 2014 is now showing the remaining time as 1h 52min. The progress bar is showing about two thirds of the project is completed.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-10-13.
    see the change log
  • nbdg223:
    I recoded my 20 minute mpg, changing the resolution to 544x576, and then tried that in Nero 12 and 2014 Video. Each reported an estimate of 11 minutes for 1-Pass encoding and 22 minutes for 2-pass encoding.

As I understand (?) this stuff, 544x576 videos will never be "SmartEncoded". So, that doesn't matter. Would it be possible for you to put an example short video on hotfile.com, SkyDrive, or some such place.

Alternatively, or, in addition, can you post the MediaInfo data for a typical file exhibiting this enormous difference between Nero 12 and Nero 2014?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for reply, Omega Tester. Here's the MediaInfo data:

Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 373 MiB
    Duration : 30mn 15s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 724 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=18
    Duration : 30mn 14s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 561 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 15.0 Mbps
    Width : 544 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Active Format Description : Full frame 16:9 image
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.199
    Stream size : 338 MiB (91%)

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 30mn 15s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -499ms
    Stream size : 27.7 MiB (7%)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero Video 2014 is still working on the 2 hour DVD-Video project and is reporting 4h 44min has elapsed (correct) and is now showing the remaining time as 14min.

I earlier uninstalled Nero Platinum 2014 and re-installed it but it makes no difference.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• nbdg223:

I have attempted a revision of my file to agree with yours. I am uploading it in two parts to hotfile.com. Here is th efirst:

Part 1 of a 2 part .zip
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• nbdg223:
    The link below is for the rest of my input file. When this file is imported into Nero Video and used to make a PAL DVD-Video using 2-pass encoding,

Nero 12 estimates 17m, 30s.
    Nero 2014 estimates 17m, 20s.

So, if you can try the identical test, we can compare results. Incidentally, I am using Windows 8 Pro.

2nd half
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Many thanks, Omega Tester.

I've downloaded the first part and will download the second part when Hotfile's hourly limit is up. I assume I extract these two compressed files using software such as 7-Zip which will join both parts.

Nero Video 2014 is working on another project and will complete in about 3 hours.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I could be wrong, but I think Windows will decompress them. Put them both in the same directory and then extract the one with the .zip extension. I guess pretty much any .zip type program will do it.

If there's a problem, I could put the whole thing on my SkyDrive, but that would take a little clean up for me!

I guess I could have simply made a file under the 400 MB hotfile limit!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• When I try to extract part 1 of the file Windows 7 reports an error.

7-Zip also cannot extract the file.

The file is visible as MPEG in the Zip directory but it cannot be played or extracted.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Omega Tester, I've successfully extracted the MPEG file. Once Nero Video 2014 completes the current project I'll carry out the test using your file.

Many thanks for your help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• <nbdg223:

Got it. One thing - the estimates Nero Video gives seem very sensitive to CPU utilization, even on this dual CPU notebook. I hope you are not trying to do 2 things at once when getting your estimates.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Omega Tester,

I imported your file and dragged it five times to the timeline to make a DVD-Video project of 2h 4min. But Nero Video 2014 requires 4h 20min to complete the project.

In 'Recording Format Options' I then unchecked the boxes 'Motion-adaptive deinterlacing' and 'Motion-adaptive frame rate conversion' and NV2014 requires 1h 55min to complete the DVD-Video project ! I also used my MPEG2 files and again NV2014 requires approx. 2 hours to complete the DVD-Video project (write to hard drive).

In your settings do you have the 'Motion-adaptive deinterlacing' and 'Motion-adaptive frame rate conversion' selected ? I always had them selected in Nero Video 12 and my 2 hour DVD-Video projects would take approx. 2 hours with 2-pass encoding to complete.

Of course, when using WTV files with those two motion-adaptive boxes checked, NV2014 requires approx. 2 hours to complete the 2 hour DVD-Video project.

Thank you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

nbdg223:
    Not seeing much difference between NV 12 and NV 2014. Checking/Unchecking the frame rate setting seems to make a big difference even though it's 25 fps in and 25 fps out, I think. I may try a short file and let it finish.

Using NV2014 on just one 20 min import:
    Q100, MA de-interlace, MA FPS conversion, 2-pass 30m30s
    Q50, MA de-interlace, MA FPS conversion, 2-pass 28m50s
    Q50, No MA de-interlace, MA FPS conversion, 2-pass 20m15s
    Q50, No de-interlace, No MA FPS conversion, 2-pass 18m20s
    Q50, No de-interlace, No MA FPS conversion, 1-pass 9m45s

In this case, unchecking MA FPS conversion didn't make a lot of difference as I would expect!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Omega Tester:

Thank you for your useful test results.

I assume that MA deinterlace and MA frame rate will not make much difference to the video quality when my project's timeline is 2 hours or less ?

With MPEG2 files with a resolution of 720x576 (WTV files recoded to MPEG2 and upsized to 720x576 with Super Resolution using Nero Recode 12), NV2014 completes the 2 hour DVD-Video project in about 20 minutes, IF the project in the timeline is equal to, or less than, 1h 50min. If the project is more than 1h 50 min then I start having problems with 'Total Space used' and Automatic 'Fit to Disc', but that's another story!

BTW, you're right about Smart Encoding not being activated during encoding when the resolution of the MPEG2 files are less than 720x576. When I used MPEG2 files with resolution 720x576 in NV2014, the words 'Smart Encoding' would intermitently appear during encoding but not with MPEG2 files with resolution 544x576.

I think you're also right about there not being much difference between NV12 and NV2014 in terms of time taken to complete a project. I remembered that in NV12 I mainly used WTV files but in NV2014 I mainly use MPEG2 files due to problems with async with WTV files in Nero Video.

Best Regards.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• nbdg223:
    Perhaps someone who "knows" about this stuff will offer some wisdom. I don't understand why specifying the MA options when transcoding an interlaced 25 fps .MPG to an interlaced 25 fps .VOB. Well, that's just one thing I don't understand. Maybe Tech Support would be able to explain it.
    Good luck!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2013-10-14.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2013-10-14.
    see the change log
  • In 'Recording Format Options' in Nero Video 2014 I checked the box 'Motion-adaptive deinterlacing' and unchecked the box 'Motion-adaptive frame rate conversion' and NV2014 requires 1h 55min to complete the 2 hour DVD-Video project (source files are MPEG2 544x576, Quality=100, and 2-pass encoding, Smart Encoding and Automatic 'Fit to Disc' are all enabled) and DVD-R but write to hard drive.

However, when I checked the box 'Motion-adaptive deinterlacing' but also checked the box 'Motion-adaptive frame rate conversion', then NV2014 requires 4h 30min to complete the 2 hour DVD-Video project (DVD-R but write to hard drive) with above settings.

So the problem (at least on my Windows 7 64 bit system) is enabling 'Motion-adaptive frame rate conversion' in 'Recording Format Options' causes the excessive time of 4h 30min to complete a 2 hour DVD-Video project (DVD-R but write to hard drive).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm