Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

Nero Video 2014 uses only tiny % of CPUs

I bought Nero Platinum 2014 to create Blu-rays.
Nero Video 2014 use just a tiny % of available CPU.
Example - 2hr 30min 720p MP4 to be made into a 1080p DL Blu-ray takes 11hrs +
This is with an Intel workstation with 16 real cores AND 16 hyperthreaded cores with 64gb memory.
CPU usage doesn't rise above 22%, with the average being 12-14% (regardless of priority) with no other apps running.
This is just totally dismal performance.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • First of all, encoding from 720p to 1080p is likely to cause all kinds of unwanted effects in the final product. I can't say for sure.

However, it's going to take a lot of time to do all the encoding that's necessary.

Which CPU do you have and what is you're graphics card?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Transcoding should not introduce any unwanted effects, if it does the encoder and/or the app is seriously flawed, especially progressive rather than interlaced.

As to encoding time, well, yeah, that was kinda my point.
    With 16 real cores and 16 hyperthreaded cores running @3.1ghz and 64gb of memory, Nero Video would be much faster by simply using the resources available to it, rather than a small percentage on each core as it is using.
    75-80% core usage is more realistic of a decent to good encoder.
    Even if the app is not multi-core aware, it should be using more than 20%!

Simply having Nero Video 2014 make a 720p Blu-ray using a 720p mp4 source takes 4hrs, to me that's the definition of dismal performance.

As to Disk usage - all SSD, neither I/O nor Cpu bound

My workstation is 2x 2687w Xeons, 2x 7970 MSI Lightnings, 64gb@1600mhz, C-drive 500gb Samsung Pro - 30% full, destination drive 1tb Samsung Evo - 40% full.

Does anyone else use the Blu-ray authoring feature of Nero Video 2014?
    Comparing times on other machines might be helpful.

I just ran the same MP4 through PowerProducer and while not as customizable on the front end (menus and such), it only took 4hrs 50min, where Nero Video took 11+ hours.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I guess you had some extra cash around.

Nero supports hyper-threading.

If the CPU and GPU are handing off the graphics duties correctly on a system like yours, I wouldn't expect the CPU to be doing that much work. I'm not savvy enough to speak on how it's decided how many cores are used but I don't think it would use 16 cores or that's necessarily determined by Nero. I think you should take that up with tech support.

I don't think the amount of bits available in a 720p... are there for a 1080p. You're going from 1280x.. to 1920x.. Maybe Mister_M will jump in on this one.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad
    Not extra cash, I make my living on these workstations.
    Nero is not a part of that, but part of my leisure time. ;)
    (I was considering using it for making presentation videos for my real work, but that is definitely off the table for now)

Any way, I thought Nero employees monitored these forums like was stated on the home page, my mistake.

After adjusting the encoding options to match Nero Video 2014's, PowerProducer authors the same 2hr 31min Blu-ray to 1080 @32000kbps from a 720mp4 @4745kbps source using all 16 real and 16 hyperthreaded cores (albeit at still only 24% usage on avg.) in just under 1hr 20min compared to 11hr+ for Nero Video 2014 for the same task.
    This 1hr 20min time is as expected for this machine, as it was designed to be capable of real time (or better) HD editing.
    These results should be reproducible by anyone with multiple cores and hyperthreading (and hopefully multiple CPUs)

I greatly prefer the customization options for Blu-ray authoring in Nero Video 2014, but I'm going to have to do without, since I really don't need to waste 9hrs of machine time per disc.

Something is seriously wrong with Nero Video's core usage algorithm/coding.
    The difference between the two should be nowhere near that great, especially since PP is cheaper. :(
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There's very few people who have a setup like that. I'll wager that 50% of the Nero users have systems that barely meet the minimum specifications, if at all.

You could disable smartencoding.

As I said, I think you should run this past tech support.

Usually, Mister_M or Hg-dude would weigh in on this but they're busy with other things. It's not the first time this has come up.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm