Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.
I’m frustrated

NeroVideo (version 15.0.27001) gives the wrong length (time) for some avi files.

NeroVideo (version 15.0.27001) gives the wrong length (time) for some avi files.

Yesterday I was going to burn a movie consisting of two avi files to DVD using NeroVideo. I was surprised when NeroVideo said the movie wouldn't fit on a DVD. Then when I was looking for the problem I noticed that NeroVideo thought one of the two avi files was over three hours long - when the actual time for that avi file was 1:16:18. Previewing the avi file in NeroVideo, it would play normally up to the end of the file (at 1:16:18) then NeroVideo would continue to indicate that it was playing but the image was frozen and of course there was no sound past that point.

I was able to work around this issue by using NeroVideo to "trim" the video at 1:16:18.xx so that there was just a fraction of a second of frozen video before the DVD would move on to the next scene. Really no worse than any other DVD made from 2 avi files.

Today I was going to burn a DVD from another avi file. This time NeroVideo thinks the avi file is 0h 01m 04s when the actual length of the video is 0:49:49 -- and because NeroVideo thinks the video ends at one minute four seconds, that is where NeroVideo stops, this time I can't work around the problem like I did yesterday because NeroVideo will let you "trim" a video to be shorter than the file, but it won't let you extend one past where NeroVideo thinks the file ends.

In both cases, the problem is NOT the common corrupted time index on the avi file. Both files show the correct duration in Windows 7. Both files play correctly in Windows Media Player, and in VLC Player, and in DivX Player. I even tried using DivFix++ on today's avi file, but even DivFix++ doesn't find anything to fix. Only NeroVideo gets the length of these avi files wrong, every other program I have that handles avi files sees the correct length and plays the files correctly.
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Hi Tom, would it be possible for your to provide a download link for a file that shows the issue? (e.g. via OneDrive/AmazonDrive/Doprbox). If you don't want to share it publicly you can also send me the link to interview(a)nero.com (Please replace (a) with @). Thx.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Tom,

If you have Nero Recode, have you tried it? If you don't have it, the free XMedia Recode will probably convert your file to something usable.

If you don't want to provide an example in one of the cloud services as Since5.5 suggested, there is also the free MediaInfo program that can be used to post information about the file that may help. Paste the "Text" view in a post between PRE tags. (<PRE>....</PRE>)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The files originated on Usenet so there isn't a download link unless you want to work from an NZB file.

I already deleted one of the problem files. The other one is a about 718MB. I suppose I could upload it to some file hosting site.

Found a workaround by using Avidemux to join the two avi files (the one that NeroVideo thought was only 00:01:04 and the other file to make the whole video)

Once I did that, NeroVideo thought the combined file was over four hours long (its actually 1:56:54) but I had already learned how to use trim in NeroVideo to take care of the issue when NeroVideo thinks the video is longer than it really is.

I had not thought of Nero Recode for processing an individual file. I just tried it. Other than taking quite a while and producing an output avi file 18% larger than the original, it did work. NeroVision sees the correct duration for the avi file after Nero Recode has processed it.

Here's the MediaInfo information on the original file:
    [PRE]
    General
    Complete name : J:\movies\Madea\Madea Gets a Job (2013) Part 1.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 702 MiB
    Duration : 1 h 16 min
    Overall bit rate : 1 286 kb/s
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 2
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 829 kb/s
    Width : 624 pixels
    Height : 352 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.157
    Stream size : 452 MiB (64%)
    Writing library : XviD 64

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 2000
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 245 MiB (35%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    [/PRE]

And this is the file after Nero Recode:
    [PRE]
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Tom\Videos\Nero Recode\Madea Gets a Job (2013) Part 1.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 832 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 1 524 kb/s

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 1
    Format settings, QPel : Yes
    Format settings, GMC : 3 warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : MP4V
    Codec ID/Info : Apple QuickTime MPEG-4 native
    Bit rate : 1 186 kb/s
    Nominal bit rate : 8 000 kb/s
    Width : 624 pixels
    Height : 352 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.225
    Stream size : 648 MiB (78%)
    Writing library : DivX 1393

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 320 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Stream size : 175 MiB (21%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 1008 ms
    [/PRE]
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I found a file to reproduce the issue. It is there in 2017 also. I will check with the engineers now. So the workaround with Recode is the way to go for such files ATM. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited