Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

New Version? 2018

I've just received an email from Nero offering the Platinum version for £22.95. This is the best offer I've ever seen from Nero in the past 10 years at least as far as I can remember. This usually comes about because either sales have dried up to nearly a stop or its in anticipation of a new version coming soon. As most new PC's don't even come with a DVD writer these days and most of what can be accomplished in Nero can be found in even free software is the day of Nero coming to an end as far as burning software is concerned? Roxio brought out a new version of their software last year and their big selling point was multi camera editing. Like we've all got loads of cameras lying around. If there is a new version coming soon what will they do to make it attractive? I'm hard pressed to think.
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi James-

v2018 will be coming soon.

I decided to be a beta tester for it but it's a waste of time because Nero won't give me a list of things that have changed since v2017. I've given them comments on some of the things I've seen, good or bad, but haven't seen anything that would make a person want to upgrade. Guess we'll have to wait until it becomes available for that kind of stuff.
    • view 4 more comments
    • Agreed. Plenty of other options. Nero has removed key features from their package due to losing the rights. I have been asking for TiVo support for years.That never happened. I'm done with them.
    • Years ago, Nero Liquid TV acted as a TiVo dvr and even allowed burning the output to DVD. It was an expensive standalone product. There used to be a sub-topic for it in the old forum but that is no longer available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• I hope not. There will be a mass exodus.

Back in 1990, I purchased a database software for practically nothing. I purchased like 9 DOS upgrades before they went to Windows. Then, I religiously bought every upgrade until they got to using the annual fee. It is exhorbitant. Of course, they were able to do this because the software became extremely popular (more than Access). I still use the last version I purchased and it works fine for what I do.

As I said earlier, Nero won't tell me what all the changes are so I don't know if there's anything there to make upgrading worth it. I don't have time to look in all the nooks and crannies for usability changes.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Wither 1,

Three weeks ago, you posted, "I've given them comments on some of the things I've seen, good or bad, but haven't seen anything that would make a person want to upgrade."

Now, upgrade offers are being sent out. Have you seen anything in the past 3 weeks that makes you feel it would be worth it to upgrade? Any bug fixes? Any new features?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• I haven't messed with it at all. As I told James Watkins, they won't provide a list of changes so it's difficult to do any kind of evaluation. One feature they added that a few people have requested is the ability to locate and manage duplicate media files. I'm finishing up some honey-do's then off on vacation for a couple of weeks.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• There's a screenshot of the new box in an email they've just sent me. Unless there's something hidden it looks like Nero 2018 is going to be a duplicate of Nero 2017. If as Wither says they've done something with a duplicate file finder I suggest you google 'duplicate file finder;. They're a penny a dozen.
    • view 1 more comment
    • perhaps twith the duplicate finder it will find its self...i sprung foe the promo but i didnt see any thingdiff but the content packwas downloadable from within the nero program its not on general release yet maybee in a couple of days cont will be in the download section...
    • You should see the duplicate finder on the left hand side when you run the Nero Launcher.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited

• EMPLOYEE
    I’m happy
    • Get your image archive cleaned up, safely by removing duplicate images

• Get your personal archive of movies & TV shows in shape via specialized organizing and playback views with movie titles and movie covers being added automatically

• Now stream your media archive with movies and TV shows to the TV in the living room, and comfortably make use of Nero Streaming Player App as a remote control

• ‘Vertical Video ready‘ means that you now can import native vertical video from your smartphone, edit it vertically with all the bells and whistles of a powerful video editor, and export it to native vertical video format.

• Also make use of outstanding vertical video design themes for auto-editing your vertical video footage. Then share your greatly enhanced vertical video via YouTube, Facebook and other social media channels. Also impress yourself and other people by putting your vertical video with cool new design back to your mobile device in native format.

• Utilize the 1-click black bar remover and boost up your non-landscape video & photo footage in any picture format (4:3, 3:2, 1:1, 2:3, 9:16, etc.) for viewing it in widescreen format. For example have the black bars in your digitized 4:3 VHS footage or your vertical smartphone photos and videos nicely compensated when watching your movie files or your video disc on the wide screen TV in the living room.

• Utilize 18 fresh new movie design templates including unique drag & drop effect-zones for auto-editing your personal movie to show off with

• Utilize 18 new disc menu templates for your Hollywood style video disc

• Free Nero 360 VR app lets you watch 360 panorama photos on your Win 10 PC
    • view 2 more comments
    • You had every opportunity to get involved with the v2018 betas but, did you?

I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Hilton Head enjoying my morning cup of coffee before we head out to see the sites. Have a nice day.
    • Wither 1,

You are correct, I suppose, that I could've been a beta tester. I've been one in the past and didn't find the experience very gratifying in direct opposition to the following from What Is a Beta Tester?:

"Most beta testers will testify that their job is exciting, especially since testers have access to cutting edge products before they are released to the public. As much as it is satisfying, the job can also be demanding."

But, this has nothing to do with me. Above you effectively blame Nero for your ineffectiveness. What did you expect? In the above mentioned article you will also find this:

"Depending on the stage that the product development process is in, a beta tester may be given a product and told to perform specific tasks, or he or she may explore the product more generally. He must think about the features that a consumer might want or need, and if the features are hard to access, are not intuitive, or are nonexistent, he typically makes a note of it. The tester also takes note of flaws in the product, like instabilities in software that cause it to hang, terminate itself, or behave in other unexpected ways."

So, you were free to make a contribution.

As you know, I have adopted "Omega Tester" as my screen name - the end of the line. But, in many instances, I am effectively beta testing since it is very clear that Nero does very little testing before releasing their products/updates.

I can't comprehend how Nero permitted you to be a beta tester considering that:

1. You refused to sign their non-disclosure agreement.
      2. You have repeatedly mentioned over the years that you don't actually use Nero!
      3. As I and at least one other frequent poster have noted on occasion, you seem to very reluctant to admit that flaws exist in the Nero applications, even more so than some Nero employees.

Why did you do it? For whatever reason, I suspect that, as this charade goes on, you will now be boasting about your "participation" in the Nero 2018 beta test program.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Are we getting that for a say; £10.00 upgrade price? I suspect not.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since5.5,

There's no mention of bug fixes. For example, there's the bug involving cue sheets introduced into Nero 2017 Burning ROM in an update in March. See topic When I open a cue file, Nero Platinum 2017 says the file is to big to burn.. Has that been fixed? Will it ever be fixed in Nero 2017?

That's one of many!

There is a current topic concerning "blurriness" when attempting to create a DVD from a HD video using Nero 10. See topic Blurry video. In a little experiemnt I did, I found that Nero Video 2017 isn't quite all it could be either. Have there been any improvments made in the scaling algorithms?

Here's a 1920x1080 image, followed by several rescaled images using GIMP, Microsoft Paint, and Nero 2017 Video's snapshot capability:

Original

GIMP

Paint

Nero

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned

• Time will tell but I suspect we already know the answer. DVD burning suites are on their last legs and only if they develop the video and audio capability will they keep a user base intact. They didn't do anything with subtitles / encoding for many years and maybe still haven't? Even if Wither hadn't signed a non disclosure document he would know if this capability is present in the new versions's video editing?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Slick video but why did I watch that and feel underwhelmed? Is it because I already have vertical video editing already and getting rid of black bars just replaces them with a silver bar. Or, did I misunderstand that. The rest is more or less in Nero 2017 but of course there are some new templates. Still feeling underwhelmed to be honest. Maybe the trial will sort that out?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• They have always added the bars to maintain the proper aspect ratio and I don't know why they would change that now.

I tried it and burned a video as a DVD-Video. I played it full screen in Nero MediaHome and it looks like all they did is change the color of the bars. This is my first experience with it so maybe I'm missing something that Since5.5 or someone else can provide additional information on. Honestly, I prefer the black bars to the new color.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I haven't been able to use keyframes and a background to override the sidebars. That doesn't mean you can't, it's just that I haven't been able to set it up properly. Perhaps, you can provide a screenshot of your timeline which shows your setup.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Demonstration of iPhone Portrait/Landscape Editing

In topic Rotate cuts off video the subject of editing portrait videos from phones was discussed at length. Now that Nero Video 2018 has the ability to edit these, would someone (say, Wither 1) demonstrate it by downloading these samples [3 MB], import and export each from Nero Video with the same aspect ratio after adding text such as "Nero 2018!". If so, please upload the resulting videos to DropBox (or similar), etc.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m confused
    Based on all this information is it even worth considering a new version (2018) of Nero? I'm not being facetious I just can't see what the benefits are. Black bars or silver bars, who cares? No subtitles in recode. Who cares? Me. Blu-rays that don't play properly and so on. They think I should upgrade for £43.75 are they having a joke at our expense?
    • view 5 more comments
    • Wither 1,

Thanks for trying! The iPhone video in portrait mode has a resolution of 320x568 (9:16). You have exported a WMV file with resolution 720x480:

So, it's in a big black frame that's 480 pixels high with a scaled down version of the iPhone video inside.

Video MediaInfo

Video
      ID : 2
      Format : VC-1
      Format profile : MP@ML
      Codec ID : WMV3
      Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Video 9
      Codec ID/Hint : WMV3
      Description of the codec : Windows Media Video 9 - Professional
      Duration : 15 s 516 ms
      Bit rate mode : Constant
      Bit rate : 3 000 kb/s
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 480 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 16:9
      Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
      Standard : NTSC
      Color space : YUV
      Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
      Bit depth : 8 bits
      Scan type : Progressive
      Compression mode : Lossy
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.290
      Stream size : 5.55 MiB
      Language : English (United States)

Maybe there's instructions in the manual to get a proper output (AVC preferably), or maybe it can't be done?
    • Here's the second one-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m23j5mr9swk...

Interesting. I had my graphics card disabled when I tried to import the original file. After 40 minutes, it still hadn't imported. I enabled my graphic card and rebooted. The file imported and rendered in less than a second. Don't if it was the reboot or the graphics card.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I don't know why the first one came out as a .wmv. I didn't change any setting from whatever I used before I tried this. My movie options are set to use AVC, 16:9 and 720x..
    When I exported, the profile was AVC and the output was set to .mpeg-4.

When I exported the second one, the only thing that changed was the aforementioned use of the graphics card. As you can see, it's a mpeg-4.

I exported the first one again this morning and it came out as a mpeg-4.

Note that I didn't resize either file after I put it on the timeline. For instance, I didn't change the height of the first file to the alloted space. I just left them as is and exported.
    • view 5 more comments
    • Wither 1,

As shown above, the iPhone stores the video as "16:9" but sets the rotation field of the metadata to 90 degrees, indicating it is actually a 9:16 video.

The UK's Amazon site includes, "Vertical Video Ready - 12 cool design templates allow you to create amazing vertical video movies from your smartphone shots or video clips.", as one of the new capabilities.

So, if you set the export to be for iPhone, can you export my first video with the correct resolution and rotation field?
    • Wither 1,

I found this in the KnowHow:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Very nice. I don't have my other system booted this morning so I may have overlooked the Edit Vertical Video choice. I would guess that it's opening in Make Advanced Movie and that's where I imported your files.

I responded to your question about exporting last night but don't see the response. I also replied in another thread and the response isn't there.

The closest thing I could get is 320x592 and I had to use mpeg-1 to get that.

Actually, you don't need me to test anything. As far as I can tell, the only thing they did was automatically rotate the video when you import it. Once done, the options for exporting are the same in every version of Nero Video. As a result, you can rotate your video using the available options and you're at the same place as I am when I test.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I tried the Edit Vertical Video option. It opens in Make Express Movie. One thing that I noticed is that one is limited to only the Vertical Themes. I also don't think the themes are correct because they have a distracting arrow in the middle of all of them. I don't know if that's by design or if it's been changed in the final version.

However, if you import your vertical video using Make Advanced Movie or Make Express Movie, all the normal themes are available (and the video is automatically rotated).
    • view 6 more comments
    • James,

I think that the new vertical editing does deserve a new version number. You said above that I already have vertical video editing. I don't know what editor that is. I didn't have that capability and now I do. I would note that, as far as I know, the free OpenShot Video Editor (open-source development in process) doesn't have it even though it is being developed in the era of the smart phone.

Although black bars have never really annoyed me, replacing them as I did in Nero 2017 does. The problem there is that the replacement color scheme is not coordinated with the video, sometimes severely clashing. I find that distracting. As I said above, Nero has replicated what I have seen on my TV many times. When I did my productions, I made both a 16:9 and a 4:3 version as the final video. To me, the 16:9 version has "too much bar replacement" whereas the 4:3, even though it has black bars in a 16:9 display such as YouTube seems like a good compromise.

What does disturb me is Nero's refusal to acknowledge bugs in most cases and their refusal to fix the ones they do acknowledge. Notice the lack of any response to topic Bug Fixes in Nero 2018?. I have a list of bugs that existed in Nero 12 and subsequent versions that have not been fixed in version 2017, and, since there's no mention of fixes in Nero 2018, I assume they still exist.
    • I'm not going to address all the nonsense that Omega Tester is spewing. I was using the second beta of v2018 and reported exactly what I saw using his files and to address other questions. There could have been more betas that they wouldn't give be because I wouldn't sign the MVP form. I don't know about anybody else, but I don't want to hire an attorney to fight a dispute between me and Nero in Germany. Actually, the stipulation in the MVP form is less onerous than that in the 3 page legal contract that they wanted me to sign just to become Customer of the Year. Anyhow, the beta version I was using was from back in June. Who knows what they changed since then.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm