Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

No "Restore" function on BackItUp 2014 when re-installed

Can't find the restore files after Win10 Reload along with reinstalling BackItUp. The Backup files are on a different internal drive. I see them, but how do I get BackItUp to recognize these previous backed up files, after a system re-load? There is no "Restore" function just after re-installing BackItUp
1 person has
this question
+1
  • Hi, you need to open the backups manually by using the "Browse" option on the restore page.

• (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• As mentioned, there is no "Restore" function just after re-installing BackItUp, so I tried a dummy backup, just to get the Restore function. Now I have the restore function and, also the browse now. It appears Backitup is looking for files that contain extensions: nba, nef, nco and/or nbi. I found the *.nbi files. None of the others exist. Good start, but it also appears the only files that are contained within the *.nbi are those that are new or have changed from the previous back up. This is going to b a bit clunky to restore files. Hopefully there is a better way. Reason being. I have backitup files (nbi) that go back to 2014. I typically backup my files a few times a month. Each *.nbi backitup file only contain new or changed files since the previous back up. 3 to 4 years, worth of nbi files to sift through, pulling out actual files within each *.nbi, that I need to restore. At least my files are there and not lost, but there most be a more efficient way to restore files, right?
    • The restore function wasn't there because, when you reinstalled Windows, the job files, which are stored on your hard drive, were lost. If you installed Windows over the old installation, you might have a Windows Old folder which would probably contain the job files and I could help you.

This has always been an issue with all versions of BackItUp. In Backitup 12 and older, there was an option to create a bootable disc with which you could boot your system and access and restore backups. That was removed in the subsequent versions of BackItUp.

I use BackItUp 12 daily to do "Update" type backups. I back up my personal files using compression. However, I also back up the job files without compression so I can put them back where they belong if I have to reinstall Windows. Of course, I also have the bootable disc.

Just thinking about it, It might be possible to do the job file backup with your version of Backitup. Have to think about it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I have my files restored, but ended up using Windows Explorer to do it. Was less clunky than using the restore in BackItUp.
    My thoughts here. Prior to the Windows clean install, I remember going into the Restore function of BackItUp and seeing all my files that have been backed up. By looking at this view, you wouldn’t know there are separate .nbi files and a folders to go with each Backup that is performed and the only files in each are new or changed files from the previous backup.
    With this in mind, isn’t there some sort of Database (DAT) file or files that need backed up along with the source files? Then when Restore is used, all files that have been backed up are shown in one area for easy restore?
    Wouldn’t it also be a good idea to have the Restore function show up as an available function when 1st installed? Seems a little useless otherwise. You can only restore files, if you don’t reload NERO BackItUp. If you re-load your operating system with a clean install, how else would you install BackItUp without it being a clean install? Makes it tough to restore your files if there is no Restore function available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

As I tried to explain above, if you had the job files when you did the restore, you would have the same view you had in Restore before reinstalling Windows. Since you did a clean install of Windows, those job files were lost. If you had reinstalled Windows without wiping the drive, there would have been a folder called C:\Windows Old in which you could have found the job files and then moved them to their proper location for doing the restore.

The job files (.nji) are in this location-

C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 15\Nero BackItUp\Files.

There are accompanying files in the \Cache folder but I'm not sure they're necessary for the restore. I back them up anyhow.

I don't know how frequently you run your backup but you would back up those folders some time after the other file backup is completed. For instance, I have my file backup run at 10 AM every day and it takes about half an hour. I backup those other folders at 11 AM. Of course, all those additional files take more space but they're rather small. You should backup those files to a different folder than the regular file backup.

An issue is that I don't know if BackItUp 2014 uses compression. If the job file folders are compressed, then they would be useless for the strategy I'm telling you about. In BackItUp 12 and earlier, you can specify whether or not to use compression.

I need to look at a backup I made with Backitup 2014 some time ago. I don't think it used compression.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks Wither!

"The job files (.nji) are in this location-

C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Nero\Nero 15\Nero BackItUp\Files"

This is what I was looking for. Good info!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• As I said, back up both of those folders to a separate folder than the main backup. Make sure they're not compressed. If you ever have to reinstall Windows and you first wipe the disc, then just copy the Cache and Files folders with their files back to the proper location. Then, when you reinstall BackItUp and run the restore, it should see the job files.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nice work Wither!

Just have to write myself instructions and keep it on the backup drive in the same Nero BackItUp folder. Maybe I'll see it when needed. I will probably hide it from myself though.....
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm