Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

No sound on DVD discs in Video 2015

Hallo world

I upgraded from Nero Platinum 2015 to 2016 earlier this year (for what reason I can ́t recall now), but I mainly use the Nero Video component in the package. After the upgrade I made a couple of video compilations in Video 2016 (I record video sequences in .mov format with my Canon EOS cameras), but when I tried to burn out DVD discs from these compilations I found that there is no sound on the discs. Bluray disc work fine, but not DVD discs. That is, the DVD discs can be played with sound on my computer, using the VLC player, but not with any other DVD player software and not with a standalone DVD player (I have a Samsung player, which I bought this year, also).

I have tested with a number of settings for the audio encoding, but with the same result – no sound. The funny thing is this: I tested with the same video files and exaktly the same procedures for putting together the video compilation in both Video 2015 and Video 2016, and the 2015 produces a DVD disc with a playable soundtrack, while version 2016 does not. The only conclusion I can think about is that the difference in behaviour between the two fairly new versions of the software must be a bug in the latter. Now I am stuck with a number of compilations in Video 2016, which I cannot use for DVD production and a fairly large number of working hours is lost. One workaround is, of course, to export the final video cutting from version 2016 as a video file and then import it into the 2015 version, but everything with chapters and titles must be repeated in this case. More working hours, obviously.

Should I make a formal complaint to Nero? I think they should offer me an free licence for Video 2017, where this problem, hopefully, is solved. I refuse to pay another licence fee, because I have already payed for a product which is unusable.
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • There are two other threads on the same issue, but not necessarily with v2016. In one of those cases, the user had downloaded some audio files and added them to his project. It turned out that those files weren't any good. In the other case, it looks like the person is doing the same using audio files from iTunes. That hasn't been resolved in the forum.

If you're doing that and your files are DTS or similar HD Audio, they won't work in v2016.

Question is, are you adding your own audio files? If you are, and you burn a project only using some of the audio files within Nero Video, do you get the same problem?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• First, I have to apologize for my erraneous heading for this thread. It should be
    "No sound on DVD discs in Video 2016". The problem is, as can be seen in my description, located in Video 2016.

The answer to the question asked above is: No - I have not added any audio files in my compilations. The only files used are video .mov files, recorded with my Canon EOS DSLRs. These source files are fully playable - with sound - in all available computer media players.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Would you try something?

Open one of your files in Recode and recode it to mpeg-4.

If that works, try burning that file to disc and playing it on a standalone.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Björn Ehnberg,

I've created a DVD in Nero 2016 Video using your file. It plays fine on my player. I zipped up the VIDEO_TS folder: VIDEO_TS folder from Nero 2016 Video [~40 MB].
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thank you, Omega tester. Your VIDEO_TS map in playable with sound, both on VLC player, Media player classic home and Windows DVD-player (and probably onmy standalone disc player) but mine (with the same source file) is not. That is, it can be played (with sound) with the VLC player, but not with other software players and not either with my Samsung disc player.
    Here is my VIDEO_TS (zipped):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oa3wvm8t6dq...
    and the log file from the burning process:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiqol3u7wwm...
    • Björn Ehnberg,

I played the VTS_01_1.VOB file you provided in a number of apps without a problem. Since your .zip didn't have the enclosing folder, I created one called VIDEO_TS and copied your files into it. That folder has no sound when dropped onto Nero MediaHome or PotPlayer, but has sound when dropped onto VLC Player.

So, I have replicated your issue. But, I gotta go for now.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Omega/Bjorn

I imported and burned to disc the files from DropBox ie: the 49 second 56MB zipped file and the 279MB .MOV file of the church choir without any problem and BOTH played in the 3 standalone Dvd players that I have + Nero MediaHome & VLC on my computer but had NO sound in Windows Media Player.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There are no errors in the burn log.

Bjorn- have you tried playing your burned disc on a friends player?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Björn Ehnberg,

I suppose the next thing I would try would be to create a DVD structure on the hard drive by choosing "Write to Hard Disk Folder" at the Burn Options screen, but 1) use the Nero Flower Meadow sample video as the source, and 2) choose "Do not create a menu" on the Menu Edit screen. That's about as simple as it gets and if that VIDEO_TS has no sound when played in Nero MediaHome or other players, it would seem that you have good reason to bring this to the attention of Nero Tech Support.

Here's the Flower Meadow VIDO_TS folder I just made. It works properly in VLC Player, PotPlayer, and Nero MediaHome.

Incidentally, have you tried playing the VTS_01_1.VOB file in Nero MediaHome?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Bjorn,

From Wiki: "DVDs can contain more than one channel of audio to go together with the video content, supporting a maximum of eight simultaneous audio tracks per video. This is most commonly used for different audio formats – DTS 5.1, AC-3 2.0 etc. – as well as for commentary and audio tracks in different languages."

Elsewhere on Wiki: "VOB files may be accompanied with IFO and BUP files. These files respectively have .ifo and .bup filename extensions.
    IFO (information) files contain all the information a DVD player needs to know about a DVD so that the user can navigate and play all DVD content properly,[12] such as where a chapter starts, where a certain audio or subtitle stream is located, information about menu functions and navigation. BUP (backup) files are exact copies of IFO files, supplied to help in case of corruption. Video players may not allow DVD navigation when IFO or BUP files are absent.
    Images, video and audio used in DVD menus are stored in VOB files.
    "

So, since the .VOB has audio that plays in PotPlayer, but there is no sound if the VIDEO_TS folder is used, it appears that the VTS_01_0.IFO may be pointing to a non-existent audio stream in the .VOB and the VLC Player is ignoring that? Something similar happens with Nero Recode. If the DVD structure is opened, the audio plays within Nero Recode. However, the recoded VIDEO_TS folder has the very same audio problems as the original.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Had the same problem recently with Nero 2016. Wasted a few discs trying different to solve the problem by changing settings one at a time before burning the same project again and again. Eventually started using rewritable discs. Finally found the problem. Can't remember whereabouts in the menus I found it but I came across a message informing me that the software had been installed on two computers when only one was allowed by their agreement licence. Ticked the box stating I been forced to reinstall because my old computer had packed in. Had no trouble since. Worth a try.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm