Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Recode 2018 does not convert video in some .WTV files

Some .WTV files that were recorded in Windows 7 Media Center can not be converted to iPad .MP4 using Recode 2018. I believe the common element with these files is that the Video Bitrate value is listed as "Not available" and Recode only converts the audio. I'm not certain yet if there is anything else common among the files so I will keep looking.

Is there a work around for this problem? I'm hoping for some help or guidance with this. Any suggestions?
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • I neglected to mention that the video does work in the .WTV files when viewing them using Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, or VLC.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi Mike-

After importing those files, click on More Options, Video.

Can you change the bit rate after checking the box for "Change quality for this video only?"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• Thank you for your quick response. The "Video bit rate: Not available" on the left side under the slide bar cannot change. The "kbit/s" on the right side does change when I move the slider. The "Average bit rate" is set. I can post a screen shot if that would help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• You should be able to change the Average bit rate to Constant bit rate but I don't know if that helps convert the file.

Couple of things you can do-

Go here- https://sourceforge.net/projects/medi...

and download Media Info. Open your file in it. Select View/Tree. Post a screen shot which shows the video and audio characteristics.

Open Nero Video and select Make Advanced Movie. Import your file and put it on the time line. Select Export, Export to File and select mpeg-4 (which should work on your iPad). I don't know what the resolution of your original file is but if it's not shown correctly, change it in configure. Export it to file.

Does that work?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited

• You can import the WTV files into the free XMedia Recode, in 'Format' tab, in 'Profile' select 'Custom', in 'Format' select MPEG2 or MPEG TS (or MP4 if HD videos), in the Video and Audio tabs select 'Copy', then press the 'Encode' button.

XMedia Recode will simply change the container from WTV to MPEG2 or MP4 (no conversion will take place) and you can then import them into Nero Video or Nero Recode.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2017-12-28.
    see the change log
  • Wither 1 & nbdg223: Thank you for your suggestions. I had success importing into Nero Video and exporting using the MPEG-4 profile. The video and audio are in sync so this is a good work around, although the export process takes much longer than Recode.

Recode exports files in much less time than Video so my plan is to run the .WTV files through Recode to convert the files with a known bitrate, and then use Video for the files with no bitrate available.

I will continue to investigate why some .WTV files have the bitrate available for Recode and some do not. BTW, MediaInfo isn't of much help with .WTV files providing only the name of the file, the format (WTV), and the file size. MediaInfo does provide lots of information on the exported MP4 file.

I have not yet tried XMedia Recode to change the container from WTV to MP4. I will report back as soon as I try doing that.

Thank you both for your help steering me in the right direction.

Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year to you both.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I didn't know one could even import .wtv into Recode. I knew you could do it in Nero Video starting with v2016, I believe.

I'm glad my suggestion worked.

You didn't give me the screenshot I requested.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Uploading an image isn't working for me. I did mention in the previous reply that MediaInfo provided no output other than the three lines noted previously: the name of the file, the format (WTV), and the file size. There is no video or audio data provided for the .WTV container.

I did experiment a bit with XMedia Recode as suggested by nbdg223 and that may be the answer to my recode needs. So far, it has converted all the .WTV files I've thrown at it including the ones with no video bitrate, and it's much faster than Nero Video.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you select Tree after you select view, the full video and audio characteristics should e shown. Here's an example for a .wtv (the only one I have)-

To add an image, simply click on Add Image in the right hand corner of a reply box. Browse to an select a video. Click on Upload. It will show up as a href until you click on Reply.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

I did select tree in MediaInfo. However, I only receive the three lines I already noted. I tried a bunch of .WTV files and they all gave the same three lines of output. MediaInfo does work on other file extensions like .MP4 for me.

I did get the URL when I tried to add the output from MediaInfo as you requested. So, here it is.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Your files are suspect if MediaInfo can't display the information.

Do you have a smaller one that you could upload to a cloud service such as dropbox.com and provide a link to it. In dropbox, after the file is uploaded, you would click on Share, Get Link, Copy Link and then paste the link here.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I just tried more than 10 WTV files and MediaInfo gave me the same three lines for all of them, Complete name, Format, and File size. The WTV files all run fine in Media Center and Media Player so I don't think there is a corruption issue.

Could the problem be caused by a version difference in MediaInfo? The version I have is 17.12. MediaInfo produces the correct output for other containers like MP4.

I will load a shorter WTV file to Google Drive and post the link later today.

Thanks again for all your help.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Mike,

If you search for WTV in the upper right, you will find that this issue has been around for years, across many versions of Nero. In fact, the WTV that Wither 1 has exhibits the very issues (I provided it years ago). So, there's no need to upload an example file for him to try!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I appreciate everyone's help and I do not mind sharing a WTV file. Below is the link to a half hour show that my wife watches. I hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YKTQ...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Mike-

That file is shown at the website and downloads as a mpeg-4.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have an interesting find. After you load a .WTV file on to Xmedia Recode, if you then right click on the file in the top area and select MediaInfo from the drop down, it will display the full three areas of output, General, Video, and audio. Lots of valuable data.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Strangely, Media Info shows the video to be mpeg-2 but doesn't identify the audio.

As you noted, the recoded file comes out as audio.

Previously, I indicated that I didn't know that you could recode .wtv in Recode. I was going by memory. It seems to me that when the issue of .wtv came up previously, Nero fixed it in Nero Video but not Recode. However, I looked at the release notes for v2016 through v2018 and nothing is mentioned in regards to .wtv.

You can always ask tech support about it. You can contact them by going here-

http://www.nero.com/enu/support/conta...

and submitting the contact form.

Please let us know what they have to say.
    • I looked at a number of very old threads on this subject. This is a response from tech support in response to a similar question in regards to v14. I think it may sum things up-

The latest version of Nero Recode 12 does also not support WTV files. (available via onlineupdate)

Currently it is not planned to re-enable WTV usage at Nero Recode 2014.

But the WTV files can be processed within Nero Video.

In the most cases WTV files using Nero Video will lead to audio/video async.
      If the source videofile was already async before it cannot be "repaired".

If the source WTV file does not contain async, we recommend to rightclick the WTV file at your Windows Explorer and use the Windows function to convert it to a dvr-ms file.

The dvr-ms file usage at Nero Video will make better results than the WTV.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Mike,

If you intend to pursue this with Tech Support, here's some links.

A link to the 11 MB .wtv 'Vampire Diaries' video mentioned above by Wither 1:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjUees71jgJMgcx12...
    As I said above, it is sufficient to demonstrate the issues.

A link to the topic quoted by Wither 1: http://gsfn.us/t/493t1

A more recent link; http://gsfn.us/t/4q3gq
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thank you Wither 1 and Omega Tester for your help. I will pursue this issue with tech support and will report back what I learn.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Mike, there's a free software called MC-TVConverter. This software can run in the taskbar and automatically convert/stream copy WTV to MP4, etc. after the WTV recordings are finished by WMC.

http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net

After installation, in the MCTVConverter folder in C:\Program Files in Windows, there is a file named 'profiles'. Copy and paste this file into the same folder. Right-click on the 'profiles' file and select 'Edit', then copy the following profiles and paste them immediately under where it states:

;================================================================
    ; INTERNAL system standard profiles - used by MC-TVConverter
    ;================================================================

[MP4 Video & Audio Copy]
    targettype=custom
    outputExtension=mp4
    inputExtensions=wtv
    executablePath=ffmpeg
    executable=ffmpeg.exe
    command=-ss 2 -i -y -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:a -map 0:v

[TS Video & Audio Copy]
    targettype=custom
    outputExtension=ts
    inputExtensions=wtv
    executablePath=ffmpeg
    executable=ffmpeg.exe
    command=-ss 2 -i -y -vcodec copy -acodec copy -map 0:a -map 0:v

[MP4 Video Copy & AAC Audio]
    targettype=custom
    outputExtension=mp4
    inputExtensions=wtv
    executablePath=ffmpeg
    executable=ffmpeg.exe
    command=-ss 2 -i -y -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 256k -strict experimental

[MP4 Video Copy & AC3 Audio]
    targettype=custom
    outputExtension=mp4
    inputExtensions=wtv
    executablePath=ffmpeg
    executable=ffmpeg.exe
    command=-ss 2 -i -y -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 256k

------------------------------------

[MP4 Video & Audio Copy] - this profile will copy both MPEG4 video and audio

[TS Video & Audio Copy] - this profile will copy MPEG TS video and audio

[MP4 Video Copy & AAC Audio] - this profile will copy MPEG4 video and convert audio to AAC

[MP4 Video Copy & AC3 Audio] - this profile will copy MPEG4 video and convert to AC3 audio
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2018-11-23.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2018-11-23.
    see the change log