Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Recode 2014 DTS to AC3 conversion

I upgraded to Recode 2014 hoping I could replace Handbrake since it encodes much faster. I am attempting to create two audio tracks with one being AAC and the second being AC3 6 channel. If the main movie has AC3 I can use AC3 pass through for this but if it's encoded in DTS the only options are AAC. Is there not way to have Nero convert TS to AC3 6 channel like Handbrake will?
1 person has
this question
+1
  • If think the option to use various channels of Dolby Digital is available when recoding video but i don't see that option for an audio file.

Maybe Mister_M will see this. If not, you could send an e-mail to tech support.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I should have pointed out this is a Blu-ray moving I'm recoding to MP4 container which can contain two audio tracks so I want the second track to be AC3 6 channel regardless if the original is AC3 (pass through option) or DTS-in which case I would want to convert to AC3 but it appears Recode only allows one to encode in AAC from DTS.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• If you select HE-AAC, then you can get 6 channel. Does that help you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I would prefer to have all my movies in Dolby Digital so this would be a great feature to have.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Nero Recode unfortunately isn't able to encode DTS to AC3 yet. The only option with Nero is to use Nero Video, which can transcode your video with a DTS track to a video with an AC3-track. The only problem is, that Nero Video only supports one audio track at a time.

But one more question: Why do you want to encode to AAC and AC3 at the same time?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thanks for the reply. The reason many people do this is the resulting video file (MP4) will then play fine on any computer as the computer will see the 2 channel AAC track which is the first track. No decoding needed. If you only have the 6 channel Dolby track as the only track, the sound will be very quiet or not play at all on a pc or tablet.

Then, with the second 6 channel AC3 track you have surround that can be decoded. Apple TV supports this natively so playing these tracks output as dolby digital into my receiver. Pc's can also be configured to see this second surround track. It has to be Dolby Digital since the MP4 container does not support DTS as of yet I believe. MP4 is really the only container that I have found works well across multiple devices and this seems to be the best way to encode the audio. That is why everyone uses Handbrake as it supports this but it takes 2+ hours to encode compared to what seems to take around 15 minutes with Recode. If AC3 encoding can be added that would be all I would need to switch over. I still own Recode as it's great all around but for this purpose it would be a big time saver.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• If you play the video only on PCs and tablets/smartphones, I would advise you to convert the audio to AAC 5.1 instead of using a second AC3 audio track.

Nearly every player software (like VLC or Windows Media Player since Windows Vista) is able to decode multichannel AAC, so that an active PC surround sound speaker system will play back the surround sound without problems.

If you have connected your PC to an external AV receiver (via SPDIF), it gets a bit more tricky. In this case, you could install the free AC3 filter, which can encode any audio source on your PC to AC3 on the fly and send it to the receiver. You don't need to install the AC3 filter, if you have a sound card, which supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (DTS Connect). These two technologies also encode any audio source to AC3 or DTS.

AAC 5.1 is downwards compatible, so that any smartphone can play it in stereo without problems.

If you want to play the mp4 files on your stand alone blu-ray player, it should also support AAC 5.1. When connected via HDMI to the AV receiver, it normally will send the audio stream as PCM 5.1 to the receiver. If it's connected via SPDIF, the signal will unfortunately be downsampled to PCM 2.0 stereo, since SPDIF cannot handle such high audio bit rates.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• You are correct. Many movies are already encoded in AC3 so it's nice to be able to do the AC3 pass through and not have to re-encode. I think that is why I choose to use the second track since Apple TV supports it and you can make it work with AC3 filter on a pc if needed. I may try the single AAC 5.1 track to see how it works in both situations.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Well, since I personally don't really like Apple products (they're to restricted in many ways), I can't really help you out here. I don't think that Apple TV supports AAC-to-AC3 encoding on the fly. Therefor you really need the second audio track. Unfortunately Nero Recode doesn't support the DTS-to-AC3 encoding at the moment, like I wrote earlier.

You should write to the tech support, so that they can perhaps include this feature in future updates.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• This reply was removed on 2014-05-09.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2016-04-28.
    see the change log
  • This reply was removed on 2016-04-28.
    see the change log