SmartEncoding a 100% DVD Compatible MPG to DVD Introduces an Audio Lag

Using Nero 2015 Video on Windows 8.1 Pro

While checking out topic Nero 2014 Video Produces Sync Errors with MKV import to see if the bug is fixed in Nero 2015 Video, I thought of a simple test. It's a "doozy".

For consistency, I started with a .m2ts file I made for all of the previous audio/video sync issues I have noted elsewhere. The file is just under 19 minutes long and repeats a short video over and over and over. The video begins with the word "Start" and then the sample Dolphin picture appears. A narrator recites, "Front left" just as the word "Start" appears, followed by "Front Right, ..."

I recoded this file using Nero Recode to MKV retaining the 5.1 audio. The audio is in sync to the end.

I recoded the MKV to a 100% NTSC DVD compatible MPG file using freeware, also retaining the 5.1 audio. The audio is in sync to the end.

I imported the MPG into Nero 2015 Video and created a DVD-Video file folder with so-called SmartEncoding set to "Automatic." The audio is in sync at the start, but lags by over 2 seconds after 18 minutes.

I imported all of these files into Nero 2015 Video, cut away the first 18 minutes, added some text, and exported it to YouTube:

Here are the MKV, MPG, and VOB files [1.3 GB] files for anyone interested.
1 person has
this problem
+1
  • Update

When using the same MKV video from Recode, videos exported from Nero Video also have this sync problem.

Here's an interesting picture:

Note the corrections being applied on the fly!.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi, Thx for the detailed report. We will check it.
    • view 6 more comments
    • Hi Omega Tester,
      no excuses, but solutions is our aim. BTW, as soon as we have the first results would it be OK if we get in touch with you via email? I assume we need some itterations and maybe some test builds to sort things out and this might be easier via email. Please let me know.
    • Since5.5,

On June 18, 2014 at 07:24, in topic Nero Video 2014 HD projects have problems with HD pictures, NeroUser (Employee) wrote, "Thank you for the provided information. I have forwarded this case to our Software Developers to be reproduced and analysed in detail.

Please note that you will not get an answer in the Forum regarding problems that have been solved by our Software Developers, as long as the problem has not been reported via e-mail too. The official channel to report a problem, and be able to follow it and receive updates is via e-mail
      "

I have since submitted emails on each of the Nero 2014 issues that I've posted, generally on the same day as the posting. Not much has happened in the past 9 months even though the majority of the issues have been around for years in successive Nero releases. An example of the ensuing nonsense follows.

On July 14, 2014 at 13:03, in topic Recode 2014 Introduces Sync Problems and Truncates Audio (MKV HE-AAC to MP4 LC-AAC) , I wrote,

"ChristianZ, You have advised that I do further testing by toggling the "hardware acceleration" setting! When will someone take these reports seriously? Have you even tried to replicate this issue with or without hardware acceleration?"

So, in this rare case where a response was made, it was simply to give me more to do (and then ignore my "response")! Exactly who is it that is collecting a paycheck?

Although I could go through each and every nonsense email response and posting from Nero in response to my many sync issue submissions, let me just summarize by saying that none of them have been fixed; in fact, none have been officially acknowledged as promised by NeroUser (assuming 9 months is enough time for Nero to perform what are, effectively, "5 minute" tests).

So, while I can understand these repeated requests that the issues with Nero software "go underground", I really don't see any future in that. As an alternative, I would suggest that each of the issues be publicly acknowledged and, when fixed, publicly declared as having been fixed in update Release Notes instead of using vague language and leaving to users to "figure it out."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi Omega Tester, juts to give you a short update: We are actively working in engineering on the topic "Audio/Video out of sync" and on the topic "SmartEncoding" and I am confident that there will be some progress soon. Stay tuned.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Note that this is not a smart encoding issue but pure out of sync issue*.

Please help to review a hotfix and report back if this resolves your issues.

Because this bug relates not only Nero Video but also Nero Recode, you need to do the steps as described for both Nero Video and Nero Recode.

Please follow the step by step description below.

Thanks

Steps:

-Make sure you have the latest version of Nero Video 2015 (16.0.9000) installed by going to Nero Control Center, click on ‘Update’, and ‘search for Updates’

- In case of an available update click on the button ‘Update now’ in the lower right part of Nero Control Center

-Download a hotfix from this link: http://nerobackitup.pogoplug.com/s/pF...

-Unzip OutOfSync_HotFix_NV2015.zip to your local disk

-Backup NeAudio2.ax , NeAudioEnc.ax and NeSoundProc.ax for Nero Video2015

-The files are in NeroVideo 2015 install path SMC folder like “C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 2015\Nero Vision\SMC” for 32bit OS or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2015\Nero Vision\SMC” for 64 bit OS

-Copy NeAudio2.ax , NeAudioEnc.ax and NeSoundProc.ax from the unzipped folder and paste to SMC folder under Nero Video 2015 installation folder (same path as above)

-Run NeroVision.exe

Please do below steps for checking Nero Recode

- Backup NeAudio2.ax , NeAudioEnc.ax and NeSoundProc.ax for Nero Recode 2015.

These files are in Nero Recode 2015 install path SMC folder like “C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 2015\Nero Recode\SMC” for 32bit OS or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 2015\Nero Recode\SMC” for 64 bit OS.

-Copy NeAudio2.ax , NeAudioEnc.ax and NeSoundProc.ax from the unzipped folder and paste to SMC folder under Nero Recode 2015 Installation folder (same path as above)

*For more details on smart encoding check this forum entry:http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm