Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

The AVCHD folder size is limited to DVD size in Nero Video 2015

Nero Video 2015: The folder size is limited to 4.3 GB in the AVCHD Hard Disc folder mode. When I exceeds the 4.3 GB size limit, Nero Video always recode the compliant files to DVD size.
2 people have
this problem
+1
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I tried, but the max size is DVD9...
    I want to burn my 1080p50 AVCHD files with menu to a BD25 disc without reencoding.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I think it will recode automatically in the burn process but maybe one of the experts will prove me wrong!

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes it will reencode, because the 1080p50 files don't meet the bluray specification.
    I need AVCHD structure without size limit and reencoding. I think the AVCHD -> HDD folder or AVCHD -> SD Card menu items accordingly work,
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Out of curiosity, why do you need an AVCHD structure?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hello,

I have a Panasonic HC-V750 camcorder, which record 1080p50 28 Mbps video.
    I like to archive the videos without reencoding on bluray disc with motion menu (the bluray format specification only allows 1080i50).
    I created similar AVCHD 2.0 discs with multiAVCHD and ConvertXToVideo and my bluray players (Samsung, LG, Pioneer) playing fine.
    I purchased the Nero 2015 Platinum pack and I like to use Nero Video for this procedure, because Nero's beautiful 3D motion menus.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• From what I can find, you can use 1080p50 on a blu-ray disc.

If you start out in Make Advanced Movie and specify HDTV Full HD, you can specify 50p for 1920x1080. Then you can specify that you want to create a blu-ray disc after leaving the editing screen. Create your menu and burn.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I selected make advanced movie. I set the movie format to HDTV Full HD 50p. I imported your file. The metadata was shown as progressive. I then elected to create a blu-ray disc. I didn't create a menu. I burned it to my hard drive and, sure enough, the resulting stream file was interlaced. Looked good in Nero Blu-ray Player though.

There was a clue to the reason. The resulting file was 29.97 fps which is NTSC. 50p is a PAL format and I was using NTSC. I repeated the exercise but selected Australian PAL in the Recording Format options. The resulting stream file was progressive at 24 fps.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• There are similar programs, which burns AVCHD 2.0 on Bluray disc:
    - ConvertXToVideo
    - TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5
    - multiAVCHD (free)

The Nero Video 2015 says:
    "High quality video formats including AVCHD 2.0 progressive format" - This is true, but only on DVD
    "Output AVCHD to flash drive" - Limited the size to DVD5
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

I have been able to make a 20 GB AVCHD hard drive structure from your video in about 7 minutes:

If you have a way to burn the AVCHD structure, it may be possible for you to get your project done with the 3D menu you desire. No guarantees - I don't have a Blu-ray burner to check it.

What I did:

Created an AVCHD hard drive project and imported your file. I duplicated it many times using "Edit" from the Content screen. I didn't create a menu, but I don't think it matters for this test. I used SmartEncoding and selected Full HD for the video quality and Automatic for the audio in the Recording Format Options. At the Burn Options screen, I chose to ignore the warning. That's it.

I'm currently playing the result in the Nero Blu-ray Player. If any problems arise, I will post.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

I'm not sure what you mean. There should be no problem importing to the Content screen except that you have to ignore the space estimate's red line. I just imported that 20 GB file:

• view 3 more comments
    • On Wiki page AVCHD, "The AVCHD specification does not officially support Blu-ray Disc media, though some software packages allow authoring AVCHD content on Blu-ray Discs. For better compatibility with Blu-ray Disc players AVCHD video can be authored on Blu-ray Disc media as Blu-ray Disc video."

So, distribution may be a problem even if it does work.
    • I have many AVCHD 2.0 progressive bluray discs (1920x1080 50p, 28 Mbps), and all working fine in my bluray players.

The stand-alone players which I tested:
      - Samsung BD-F5500
      - Samsung BD-H6500
      - LG BP420
      - Pioneer BDP-150

All have MediaTek chipset.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I found the bug. The SmartEncoding does not work with several 1920x1080 50p files. The MediaInfo output is the same as that working.
    I can upload a sample.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

The Nero program is apparently enforcing AVCHD Version 1 bitrate specs:

For DVD, it restricts video bitrate to 17 Mpbs; for hard drives & solid state, 23 Mbps. So I suppose that's the problem with SmartEncoding your files. Writing to techsupport@nero.com may get you a detailed explanation. So, if you do, please also ask about:

1. The unnecessary restriction of hard file, SD Card, and memory stick structures to single-layer DVD length.

2. Using Full HD vs "Automatic (fit to disc)" for the video quality varies the SmartEncoding for audio:

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

I have to back off a little! It occurred to me that your first file had a rather high bitrate, so I imported them both into Nero 2015 Video and, as you mentioned, 100% SmartEncoding if indicated for the first, but 0% SmartEncoding for the second. I compared the MediaInfo data and only find one significant difference:

So, it appears that it will SmartEncode high bitrates up to a point, I guess. It still looks like an issue for techsupport@nero.com.

Perhaps there's a setting on your camera?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The encoding details you guys are seeing are identical to those I got when I burned his .mts file as a blu-ray disc to my hard drive. I didn't change any of the recording options or smart encoding. Of course, the output format was mpeg-2. When I played the original file and the BDAV in the Nero Blu-ray Player, I couldn't see any difference. I also burned as a AVCHD-DVD and the difference in the smart encoding is that there was no encoding required (as Omega Tester mentioned some time back). Still looks the same as the others.
    • view 4 more comments
    • Wither 1,

What you say is significant to you has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject and I sincerely doubt that there is any way to convince you of that fact.

And, no one has agreed that burning to AVCHD uses no encoding. In fact, the problem at the moment is that burning to AVCHD does require encoding.

Please try to focus.
    • I'm sure you will be happy to know that I will no longer participate in this thread. Carry on.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I tried to burn the result, but the playback is choppy after 25-30 sec...
    When I make the disc with multiAVCHD, the playing is fine, not choppy.
    The Nero Video remuxing algorithm is wrong...
    • view 3 more comments
    • Gabor,

I summarized the 00017.m2ts output files' MediaInfo data in a table and deleted the identical rows. There's not much left, but it does show the bug in the release version of Nero 2015 Video:

• Thanks for you files.
      Unfortunately, my bluray player don't playing simple m2ts files, only in avchd folder.

But I discovered the problem. The Nero uses wrong timecoding while remuxing files:

Original file:

Remuxed file with tsMuxer:

Remuxed file with Nero SmartEncoding (100%):
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

The .m2ts files can be played in VLC Player, Nero MediaHome, PotPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc. Although the "General" durations are not correct for the SmartEncoded AVCHDs, the durations are correct when played on my system either as .m2ts videos in the mentioned players or as the AVCHD structure in Nero Blu-ray Player. I have no way of playing PAL AVCHD-DVDs (except via the Nero Blu-ray Player).

Another difficulty is that your file is not 100% SmartEncodable when writing a DVD vs a hard drive folder. So, how are you writing the SmartEncoded AVCHD-DVD? Do you use Nero BurningROM to transfer the AVCHD hard drive structure or another program?

Here's a summary of the test.mts encoding results confirming what you have indicated:

But, none of the players I've tried have indicated a problem - all show the ~52 second duration.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• On PC, no problem with nero's remuxed files.
    The choppy playback problem only appears on stand-alone bluray players.
    Can you have a stand-alone player? Give it a try with BD-RE disc.

The Nero Video 2015 remuxing is wrong, the timecodes are wrong.
    With multiAVCHD or tsMuxer the resulting AVCHD disc is OK with stand-alone players.
    I burned both disc with Nero Burning Rom AVCHD profile.
    • Gabor,

I don't have a BD burner, so I can only make AVCHD-DVDs. Moreover, my stand-alone Blu-ray Player will only play NTSC discs. So, I will have to try to make an NTSC SmartEncodable version of your test file and then make an AVCHD-DVD. What exactly should I be looking for when I play it?
    • Gabor,

I managed to make a 93.7% SmartEncodable 59.94 fps version of your file. It gets stuck momentarily twice near the end. The duration was over 54 seconds, similar to yours. I've made the most magnificent video:

Well, maybe not so good! But, the problem is evident.

Then, I turned off SmartEncoding and got a result that was over 1 minute in duration, but unlike the others, this was in agreement with the incorrect audio duration! In any case, the video froze not long after it started.

Next, I reduced the frame rate to 29.95 and burned normally using Nero Video. That one played normally and had consistent durations.

I have no conclusions except to mention techsupport@nero.com again!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Gabor,

Here's the MediaInfo data for my NotSmartEncoded version, made by using custom quality 1920x1080 with the bitrate set to th emax of 27 Mbps:

without running into a bug

That's it for me unless you have something specific. As I mentioned in another thread a few days ago, I don't think it is possible to use this software for an hour without running into a bug. That goes for the "release" version and, now, the "test" version. To be clear, I mean using it in the "let's see what happens if I change ...". I don't believe any such testing is done by Nero. Complicating that is the fact that they don't fix the bugs found by users like you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm