Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Using the Nero 2014 Video Tilt Shift Effect

1 person likes
this idea
+1
  • I forgot to mention in my original post that the "Tilt Shift Effect" comes without the keyframe capability. So, you can't have the highlighted area "come into view", etc. It appears that this effect is more of a sales gimmick than a serious effort to provide additional functionality. For sure, not worth $, IMHO.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• Hey Omega Tester,

I know the following video is in German, and I know Nero wasn't involved in the editing process, but I think it shows and explains the tilt shift effect quite nicely:
    Tilt shift demo

Personally, I think it's a pretty cool effect, but you need to have the right video (or picture) material to make it work.
    • Unfortunately, I don't understand a word of German except the one that sounds like 'beer'. I am simply saying that no one took the time to add keyframe capability, an addition that seems desirable to me. Even if that were done, I still don't see it as worth the upgrade price since most of the Nero 12 bugs remain in Nero 2014. Most of the change I have seen is cosmetic - lipstick on a pig? Well, maybe that's a little extreme!

I certainly hope Nero employees will soon be clearly identified on this forum. Do you agree? Where is the transparency?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. happy, confident, thankful, excited indifferent, undecided, unconcerned sad, anxious, confused, frustrated kidding, amused, unsure, silly

• The help file gives guidance on the best type of shots to use this effect with. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide guidance on how to use it.
    • view 1 more comment
    • The term ("tilt shift") is used in photography - it describes what the lens of certain cameras can do, i.e. tilt and shift. The digital process itself performed in Nero Video could be called miniature faking or simulation; still, the effect name has been derived from the original photography term. (Tilt–shift photography and Miniature faking on Wikipedia for those interested in some background information.)

Regarding the description of effects, we're working on something. (You might agree that for most effects as well as transitions, it would rather be helpful if they were demonstrated instead of being described.)
      As for the "hundreds of program parameters left unnamed/undefined", could you name some/describe their location in the application so we can have a look? If anything is missing, that was certainly not done on purpose.
    • Thank you for the explanation, lila-asta. I have been to the land of wiki. So, now I will change "geek gibberish" to "photography jargon". It seemed as if the tilt and shift referred to the dragging of the axes in the preview window.

How about a glossary of technical terms?

As for the parameters, I'll just say a word or two about the blur, contrast, and saturation.of the Tllt Shift Effect. Blur appears to be adjustable from 0 to 100; contrast from -100 to +100; saturation from -100 to +100. There is no definition of the terms and no indication of the range of values accepted. In addition, there is the ability to expand the outer oval that I presume defines a transition zone from the clear to the blur?

Let me close with a paraphrase of a frequently appearing comment: "I don't mean to be critical, but ..."
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• An addendum to my comment above (where images cannot be added).
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi Omega Tester. I am neither interested in the tilt shift effect (I create such effects by myself) nor in Nero 2014. But you can do me a favour, please. In 2014, there exists still always (as other users noticed) the problem with justification of 4:3 media in the display area, black bars are added at the sides, which disturb in such effects.

Please create a slideshow and use this effect in some variants. If you see the black bars also there, the effect is worthless.

I have posted this problem (http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics...) 5 days ago. but the only answers I got are from you, none from the Nero people. I know why, this issue is something like a red towel for them, they don't like to discuss about (from my experience in the old forum). But I think we can bring things to move, if more people are interested in.

Btw, the official term for this effect is Pan, Zoom, Rotate (shortening PZR) on the proffessional movie makers side since time immemorial. Tilt-Shift is unprecise, leads to misunderstanding.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The video for the tilt-shift doesn't do a thing for me. Yes, I can do things like blur, etc. and see the effect but it affects the entire video regardless on how you adjust the lines. I think the tilt and shift are misnomers. I think they're names for something that happens while the algorithm is running. I can't tilt or shift anything.

I'm going to have to spend more time with it.
    • There's a comment by lila-asta above explaining that the "tilt shift" terminology is from photography.

If you watch the video I made, you can see that the blur is outside of the "zone", whether linear or oval. If you selected the picture with the effect applied and place the red cursor within it, you can re-orient the axes by translating or rotating and you can expand the "zone" by pulling it outward.
    • Oh, I understand. It possibly produces/simulates an unsharpness (blurr) by long-time exposure.This is also used in movies. But this effect is created during recording of movies or photos, but can not simulated afterwards in a copy. There may be professional SW which can do it but as far as I know, there is no SW available on the consumer market, which can do that.
      So this would be new in the Nero SW and makes sense, - provided that no black bars damage the effect.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• hg-dude:
    Here's an example of the Tilt Shift Oval Effect applied to a picture of a flower. The parameters in order are Blur, Contrast, and Saturation.

Excerpts from this YouTube video.

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• The Tilt Shift Effect applied to a picture of the fountain at Point State Park in Pittsburgh, PA.
    • Ty. Now I see what happens.For me the effect seems to be not very impressive, in the video, rather disturbing, - like blur caused by a wrong aperture setting and not by a shift..
      The effect is similar to such created in Photoshop with the "Wind" filter. But in Corel PhotoPaint there exist a "Wind" filter which creates really small irregular flags, so it looks like wind is blowing thru leaves e.g..

Anyway, in my opinion its not possible to create realistic wipe blur. This is only possible during recording with a low shutter speed.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• hg-dude: To be fair, I'm just experimenting with this new effect. I don't know if you watched the video lila-asta referenced. It's in German, so you will obviously get more out of it than me!

• (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm