Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

What options are 100% compliant to avoid recode? (blu ray)

With Smart recode, I can apparently avoid transcoding my videos if they are compliant. It doesn't say what counts as compliant though. My current videos are 1280x720 with 3111kbps video. I think the resolution is good but the bitrate is probably low. Or maybe it's something else?
1 person has
this question
+1
  • I think you mean Smart Encoding in Nero Video.

I think the compliancy is with the format of the video and, also, the type of disc project you're burning. For instance, mpeg-2 formatting is required for a DVD-Video. Anything else has to be converted. There's also other limits such as bit-rate depending on the disc project. Then you get into the options you select in the movie options, such as quality and bit rate. This is from this layman's point of view. Unfortunately, none of the Nero experts are around at the moment to really lay it out for you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Yeah, it's a bit confusing. I found something on the nero website which says if set to standard, it won't process some stuff on "fit to disc" which could mean it is bigger than the disc. To me, this implies that it doesn't have to be exactly compliant with the project *settings*, just, as you say, with Blu-ray requirements.

My videos are 600mb a piece and there are 20 of them so they should handily fit on a disc. Unfortunately, Nero recodes them and even now taking up twice the space, the video quality is noticably poorer (though it's possible tweaking some of the settings would help, it already took 4 hours to recode).

Not too big a deal, I guess. I'm just beginning to look at Nero Video as grandma quality (especially with the long delays in editing thumbnails) and might look at something else if I want to get more serious. Some out there let you force no recode. I suspect such a Blu ray would play on my player even if it wasn't suitable for general release. It's a shame in a way because you can see where people have put a lot of effort into some parts of the program but yet it falls down in important places.

I may try transcoding to a higher bitrate with ffmpeg and see how that flies. If that doesn't work, I'll see about generating some "compliant" videos from Nero and do a side-by-side comparison.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I should mention that some of the settings I mentioned are in the Recording Format Options. I only mentioned the Movie Settings. Sorry about that.

Ordinarily, the default settings are adequate and you should not get any degradation of quality. I assume those settings are what you're using. Now, if the originals are in a lower resolution and you opt to choose a higher resolution, you would probably see a degradation. However, the degradation you're seeing is probably due to the increase in size and fitting it on the disc.I still wouldn't expect the degradation to be significant if the final size is around 24 GB.

You can disable Smart Encoding but the video will still be re-encoded, if necessary. Doing this might make the encoding slower. You can disable it In the Recording Format settings. Some people have found that disabling it can stop the increase in size, although I don't understand why. You could ask tech support about it. There's a number of threads on this issue going all the way back to the old forum (This one is only about 6 years old.) but I didn't look at them.

By the way, encoding those 20 files in 4 hours is very fast, in my opinion.

We still have to work on your other problem.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It turns out that the degradation was in the original videos. So no biggie there. I was using playon but on my main computer which tends to see a bit more load (and is older anyway) than the one I have used for others.

It seems that blu-ray expects .m2s videos so maybe if I can rewrite my streams in to that container format, I will be getting somewhere. Unfortunately, I haven't really had time to play with it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• That might help. Good thought. After all, no matter what the original format, they will all be encoded to .m2ts streams during encoding, if they're not already. i don't know if tech support would agree with that since they're the experts.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm